Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6580 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 17 of 24
21 January 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
My thing with Assimil is that it doesn't have the intensity to really make me feel
engaged. The lessons are short and trying to do them at a faster pace is not necessarily
such a good idea. Meanwhile it's really really long if you do one per day and it's hard
to maintain that motivation.

My instinct tells me that it's taking way too long to get through a small booklet like
that. At least in the "easy" languages, I haven't tried it with any of the tough ones.
1 person has voted this message useful

ericblair
United States
Joined 4508 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 18 of 24
21 January 2012 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
I am on Day 13 of Assimil Italian with Ease (newest edition with English as the base
language).

Way too early to be definitive either way (not that we ever could be with this sort of
thing), but it is very interesting to me to read everyone's input!

I am still sticking with going through the lessons once in the morning and once at
night. I believe it was fanatic that had the most success with the course, and one of
his long posts pointed out that you need to play by the rules of the game, haha. Maybe
if I get REALLY bored I would start the active phase soon. But for now, the variation
of the dialogues and all is enough to keep my interest piqued.

Maybe Come the end of day 155 (the 105 lessons plus the last 50 days of only the active
phase), I will feel that I completely wasted my time. I somehow doubt that, though. I
think the guaranteed 30+ minutes of Italian exposure per day is likely doing a lot for
me on the subconscious level. We shall see what happens!

Opensecret
Triglot
United States
Joined 4489 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 19 of 24
22 January 2012 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
My thing with Assimil is that it doesn't have the intensity to really make me feel
engaged. The lessons are short and trying to do them at a faster pace is not necessarily
such a good idea. Meanwhile it's really really long if you do one per day and it's hard
to maintain that motivation.

My instinct tells me that it's taking way too long to get through a small booklet like
that. At least in the "easy" languages, I haven't tried it with any of the tough ones.

I've only used Assimil in two of what could be considered "harder" languages (Russian and Mandarin). In both cases, I started the language with Pimsleur and worked my way through level III. I also used other texts before hitting Assimil. But Assimil is one of my two favorite language-learning text series (the other is the Teach Yourself collection).

My approach to Assimil is to ignore the active/passive distinction. I just move through the lessons at a pace that works for me, making sure that I can comfortably read the text material and can do the little exercises to translate into the target language before moving to the next lesson. I figure everyone has different learning styles and preferences, and it makes sense to do what works for you.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Footnoted
United States
Joined 4654 days ago

35 posts - 42 votes
Studies: French

Message 20 of 24
26 January 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
This summer, primarily in anticipation of a vacation in France this spring, I began using Assimil (along with dabbling in some secondary materials such as grammar books and FIA videos) as my first attempt at self-study of a language (decades ago I had French in high school, and then some Spanish and Latin in college, with the usual tepid results). After four months or so I finished the passive wave of Assimil New French with Ease and then immediately started the passive wave of Using French, while simultaneously continuing the active wave of NFWE. For me this has been a mistake. I have started focusing more on the passive wave of the second book to the detriment of the active wave of the former book. There is way too much new material for me. Each lesson now takes 3-4 days and I do not have anyting approaching mastery of the lessons--I just sort of move on. I now wish I had just completed the active wave of the first book before starting the second book. I feel that my fledgling knowledge of the language is spread too "thin"--very little retention, perhaps because there is such emphasis on idioms. I wish Assimil would more frequently rearrange the elements already given to you, instead of giving you a taste and then moving on. In any event, with my confidence ebbing and my trip to France approaching, I recently started Pimsleur French (while still unwilling to drop the Assimils entirely, which are now proceeding at a crawl). I must say that after 22 Pimsleur lessons I am feeling much more confident that I will be able to have a basic conversation in France. (Certainly Assimil will be partly responsible, and will be almost entirely responsible for any reading that I am able to do while there.) I hope to complete all 90 Pimsleur lessons before my trip. In short, I would not use Assimil as my primary method of preparing for a trip abroad. Perhaps what I mean to say is that Assimil and Pimsleur may be a good combination.             

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4562 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 21 of 24
27 January 2012 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
I guess Footnoted's experience suggests against continuing on in a passive wave through Using Spanish after finishing Spanish with Ease. Finishing Spanish with Ease first is probably the way to do it, and I'm not sure that I'm not going to alternate days doing the passive wave and the active wave, when I get there.
I wonder if people like fanatic reviewed past lessons a lot. I find myself feeling much more sure that I am accomplishing something when I go over lessons at increasing intervals, today's lesson, yesterday's, five days ago, 25 days ago. I also feel like I am accomplishing something when I actually translate from Spanish to English. If I can run through a conversation translating from Spanish to English three times in a row without hesitating, I feel like I have the lesson down.
I don't know if this violates the spirit of the "passive wave", or if I care about the "spirit of the passive wave."
I keep changing my mind about the best way to do the passive wave, but I suspect you can learn more, without very much more effort, if you include review and L2->L1 translation.
I have one more week until I start the active wave. I am impatiently waiting to get there.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5362 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 22 of 24
27 January 2012 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Sfuqua - that is the method I use - using small post-it flags to mark the review intervals and doing a
translation
from English about 3 times before moving on. I find it makes things 'stick' better and helps active production
of the target language. With a pure passive wave, I find I think I have grasped something but I haven't and
it's only in active production that I realize the holes in my knowledge.

It does become appreciably more difficult doing this with the Using books.

Edited by Elexi on 27 January 2012 at 9:43am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4686 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 23 of 24
30 January 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm having a similar experience as Footnoted has - I'm enjoying the second book
(French), but feel that I need to work more on my base, as I'm not retaining enough to
be conversational.

However, I'm also finding Pimselur III to be pretty dang easy after Assimil.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5580 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 24 of 24
30 January 2012 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I forget where, but I think someone here suggested putting lesson numbers into srs
software and using that to tell you when to review. I thought it was a really good
idea,
for instance Anki would allow you to reschedule reviews depending on how well you feel
you know each particular lesson.

Someone mentioned a lack of intensity with Assimil, I find blind shadowing Assimil very
intense (and so far actually only possible with material I already thought I knew). So
I'm not quite able to use Professor Argüelles' method in its pure form yet. I mainly
shadow my target language while reading the English translation before attempting blind
shadowing, which is still pretty intense (much harder than shadowing whilst reading the
target language).

Edited by Random review on 30 January 2012 at 10:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version