Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4751 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 33 of 204
30 March 2012 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the explanation, but I still find it a bit difficult to understand. Do you
know the CEFR? Could you possibly assess your languages with that scale?
I know I am coming across pushy, but I am just curious.
Ah and you tried Ojibwe! I am very interested in Native American languages myself.

1 person has voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5626 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 34 of 204
30 March 2012 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Hi Tim. welcome to the forum. I enjoyed viewing your Youtube videos and look forward to seeing more in the future. I was surprised by the comment you made on the BBC radio interview that you thought Russian was the most challenging language for a native English speaker. Most would say a non Indo-European language such as Arabic or Mandarin. Why do you think that?

Polyglotpal
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/PolRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4454 days ago

4 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 35 of 204
30 March 2012 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Thanks Stelingo! I must admit I'm a bit biased on the matter -- I've studied both Arabic and Chinese with very good
teachers, whereas Russian I had to teach myself from scratch. The reason I picked it as the hardest is because of the
difficult and nuanced phonology, grammatical concepts that seem archaic from an English-speaker's perspective
and of course the always hard-to-guess stress patterns. Chinese grammar for most learners isn't too complicated,
and I found that I picked up Arabic without much trouble because I already knew Hebrew
Ellsworth - I'm not so familiar with the CEFR system, but having read through it my (tentative) guesses for my best
languages would be French, Written Arabic - C1, Farsi and Hebrew B2

Edited by Polyglotpal on 30 March 2012 at 5:16pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4430 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 36 of 204
30 March 2012 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
Polyglotpal, what is your learning process and what sort of courses do you use when teaching yourself?

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5641 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 204
30 March 2012 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
Polyglotpal wrote:
Fasulye, I never deleted your comment on my channel. I never got the chance to respond because I was in France and didn't have a great deal of free time. I never intended to offend you or anyone else. This is exactly the reason why I haven't written in this thread - I don't want an otherwise interesting and fruitful discussion to turn into a character attack.

Tim, I also have a You Tube channel and if people post there and I'm not available, I would just not react. I'm fine with this that, if i post something, that I get no reaction. But You Tube has no function of "automatic" deletion of posts. I'm on You Tube since 2009, so I know how a You Tube channel works. I have read your post on your channel that you are in France without any internet access. My post was dated on the day that the New York Times article was published, but it's gone now. So, why???

By the way: Welcome to this language forum!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 30 March 2012 at 7:38am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5641 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 204
30 March 2012 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
TECHNICAL PROBLEM IN THE YOU TUBE CHANNELS

First my excuse to Tim, but there seems to be a technical issue in the You Tube channels, which I also have in my own channel.

Under "Feed" are shown only the LAST perhaps 10-15 reactions and you cannot scroll anymore to the earlier reactions. With the old You Tube Layout you could browse through different pages of reactions. My reaction was dated on the day of appearance of the "The New York Times" article, so it's older than the reactions which I can see now under "Feed" in your channel and therefore nobody can see it anymore.

This is not a good feature and You Tube is to blame because, if you don't respond quite early to your reactions, you will not get the chance to see them anymore. So everything which is older is "lost" in a way. And this happens in every You Tube channel which uses the new layout.

So I have edited my previous post! Good that we clear this up, because I had a negative feeling.

Kind regards,

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 30 March 2012 at 8:12am

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4416 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 39 of 204
31 March 2012 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Hi Tim and everyone else. I was brought to this forum by the Times article, so I was interested in this thread.

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4796 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 40 of 204
02 April 2012 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
I'm sorry for saying you sound like a jerk, Tim.

Wow, I keep wondering what makes people say things like that when the issue is not his character (which by the way hardly anybody would be able to say a lot about if they don't know him personally) but his ability and above all his enthusiasm with regard to language learning. Tim does not seem to lack self-confidence but I consider this an asset rather than something to be criticized and I must say that he has shown to be much more mature in his responses to some remarks here than those who had made those remarks in the first place.

13 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version