Diglot
Spain
Joined 4703 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 1 of 22
23 January 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
This should be fun! I have decided on French and Croatian for the 2012 TAC.
Some background: I am a native English speaker, fluent in Spanish, and I
take Arabic classes. I will be living in Cadiz, Spain from the beginning of
February until the end of June, trying to make my Spanish from fluent to pass for a
native. Arabic is taking the backseat; I may pick it back up in the fall. We'll see
how much I've lost when I travel to Morocco. I plan on going to France and Croatia
too, so I can use my languages!

Croatian: Complete Beginner. I was never a fan of Slavic languages. I
don't know why, but they just also made me think of cold weather (which I hate),
communism, and inconceivable consonant clusters. That's pretty unfair now, especially
after investigating more about them. I am fascinated by Croatia and it's cultural
melange, and the beauty of the Dalmatian coast, thus I've been turned on to Croatian.
For now, I will study on my own, and would like to be Low Intermediate by end of 2012.
I might have the opportunity to study in Dubrovnik this summer for a few weeks, but
that is still to be decided. I wouldn't mind eventually using it professionally and
living in Croatia.

French: Complete Beginner. Well, that's not entirely true. I've
dabbled in French enough to know some vocab and travel sentences, but it's beyond me to
converse in it. I like Romance languages, more because of the cultures they go along
with, but the languages themselves are nice. I've decided on French because it will be
"most useful" for my life right now. I like to be able to use my languages right away.
Given the prevelance of it in the Maghreb and Lebanon, it will be a good supplement to
my Arabic study. I also feel like it was the best next Romance for European purposes
for where I want to go. I can pronounce things well, but not the R. I sound like a
Barcelonan in Paris when I attempt it.

Those are the ones I'm focusing for my personal TAC. I must keep up with my Arabic to
maintain it, and I always like using my Spanish; something about that first love...
Moving forward in time: German - I would like to learn German for my career. It seems
German companies are the only ones hiring; Bosch, Siemens, BMW... Turkish - I love
Turk Pop, and Turkey, and I would like to apply for a CLS in Turkish for the summer of
2013. It's not on my radar for a while. Portuguese - I'd love to visit Brazil and
love the music of the 60's and 70's. Catalan - It's fascinating, but will have to
wait.
1 person has voted this message useful

tennisace
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

39 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Croatian, French

Message 2 of 22
23 January 2012 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the team. I look forward to following your log since I will be focusing on the same languages as you. Good luck this year!

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4703 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 

Message 3 of 22
23 January 2012 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
tennisace wrote:
Welcome to the team. I look forward to following your log since I
will be focusing on the same languages as you. Good luck this year!

Cool! I'm pumped to get into Croatian.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 22
23 January 2012 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
Welcome aboard, Gallo!

I have to admit. When I read your first post, I thought . . . "Is he stalking me?" But then I realized you are studying Arabic. And not Italian. And we really don't have much in common. Except the Spanish. And French. And Croatian, and German, and Turkish, and Portuguese, and Catalan, and . . Oh wait! Is that why we're on the same team?

I will be watching and encouraging you throughout the year. I wish you the best of luck with all your languages! I think we're going to have a great year!

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4703 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 

Message 5 of 22
19 March 2012 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Due to something called 'life', my studies have not been as fluid as I would like, but
now that I am getting settled in my new apt and city, My Croatian will get more
attention. On a positive note, I love living in Spanish. It's so cool to use one of
your languages everyday to do daily life things. My new roommates are French and
Italian (I'm American) and we converse in Spanish. I have a few American friends, but
there's hardly any here which is nice. Having a lot of Erasmus around from all over,
it is hard to stay away from English completely, b/c many Germans speak it way better
than Spanish so we usually default to whatever the group is best at, so having American
friends is not bad from an immersion point of view, and besides Cadiz is a lot less
Anglophone than Madrid or even Sevilla. The Spaniards don't usually change to English,
b/c most of them just don't know enough. Highly recommemnd anyone looking to come to
Spain to come here, the beach and weather aren't bad either!

Moving on to business. I am working my way toward the completion of the 18 lesson TY
Croatian. (The one with the figs on the cover, I think 2003 ed) So far only done 1
and 2 and working on 3. Here is the little I know:

Zdravo! Dobar dan. Ja sam Noah Clark. Učim međunarodno poslovanje i financije na
sveučilištu. Živim na Cadiz, Španija ali ja sam Amerikanac. Volim ići na plaža.

Do viđenja!

(Why does the forum change the c and z!?)

Not much, but we are working on it. I am trying to finish the course by the end of
June so that when I go to Croatia I can manage hopefully in Croatian without using
English. My idea is to go WWOOF and it is a good motivator to study. I like having
motivators, even if I construct them, because I won't keep to one language if I don't!

I said for Team Ža that I would learn French, and I will definitely by the end of the
year, but for now I think that I might do the Deutsche Welle online course b/c there
are a ton of German speakers here, and I want to be able to keep up when they babble
away auf Deutsch.

So for now my priorities are:

Spanish: Taking classes on Spanish phonology/fonetics and 20th cent. lit.
Trying to become native, and I would like to sit for the DELE C2 in May.
Croatian: Goal of spending two weeks on a farm in Istria, and the fact that
Croatian is kind of obscure and different from my Romance studies.
German: Lots of new German friends around, so the environment is right.
French: Would like to go to France for a bit, and going to Morocco in June, and
it's one of my TAC.
Arabic: Going to Morroco for a week in June. Need a refresher.

(I'm really only studying Croatian actively, and adding German just a bit. I don't
consider that I'm studying Spanish; I already speak it. French is on the back burner
until the end of summer, and I'll bring up my Arabic before my trip to Morroco. Could
I add Esperanto? Help...)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 22
19 March 2012 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Oh, great to see you here :-)

Your č and ž look fine on my comp. Check the charset settings in your browser.

You said you're no longer studying Spanish, well, then you may want to edit your profile which says "studying full-time" :) I think most university classes don't count as studying full-time.

Also, thought I'd pimp our consistency thread :)

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4703 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 

Message 7 of 22
22 March 2012 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Voy a escribir en castellano, a causa de ser mi log propio, y además necesito actuar
como estoy en España más, no creo que será un problema. Siempre hay Google
Traductor... jaja. Bueno...

Acabar de leer la bitácora de ellasevia, empecé buscar diferentes podcasts para
escuchar mis idiomas actuales. Nunca he pensado usar podcasts gratuitos para estudiar
pasivamente. No sé porque, pero tal vez pensé que no existieran. He decidido
descargar Coffee Break French, ArabicPod.net, y un montón de Deutsche Welle. Necesito
uno para croata... Estoy feliz porque ahora
puedo estudiar con mi ipod cuando quiera, y no tengo que estar frente al ordenador o
sentado en mi escritorio con un libro.

Trato mirar la televisión para practicar mi habilidad de comprehensión, pero tengo
ganas (como en inglés) cambiar el canal cada tres minutos, que realmente no sirve nada.
Suelo escuchar a NPR cuando conduzco en EEUU, pero dado que no tengo un coche aquí, no
había pensado en escuchar a RNE. No tengo una radio, pero ahora que se me ha recordado
que existen los podcasts, he econtrado varios que voy a subscribir, una revista
noticiera internacional, y una de la sociedad. En esta manera, puedo vivir mi vida, es
decir, como vivía en EEUU, pero usando castellano para el medio para hacerlo. Estoy
emocionado porque creo que este va a ayudar a mi experiencia inmersiva. La gente que
cree que viajar a un país extrañjero sin esforzarse nada va a apoyar su habilidad - no
es tan sencilla! También requiere trabajo por parte del individuo.

Pues, voy a acostarme porque tengo levantar temprano para la clase de literatura de los
siglos XX y XXI. No es difícil, necesariament, sino es un desafío más que sería si
estuviera en una clase literaria enseñada en inglés. Más croata mañana, ¡me juro!
¡Hahtalueo!

edite: ortografía.

Edited by Gallo1801 on 22 March 2012 at 2:08am

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4703 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 

Message 8 of 22
23 March 2012 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Plan. I have a plan! We'll see how well this goes, but I've only committed to an hour
a day of active study, so it shouldn't be hard.

1 hour a day, every day of the week
Spanish Perfecting. Learning idioms. Looking up words I don't know. Looking
up words for "strainer" and "faucet" instead of just saying la cosa que.. or whatever.
I'm here to study Spanish, even though I 'speak' it already, Quiero hablar con fluidez
total.
Croatian: Goal of using it for a long trip. Good motivation, needs the most
being I've never studied a Slavic language.
German: Lot of German friends, lots of free resources. more useful in europe
than the states, so need to capitalize on that.
French: French roommate, trip to Morocco, 'easiest' new language given it's
Romance. Will pick up more intensively in the fall, so not worried about getting that
deep into it right now.

Monday Croatian French 45min/15min
Tuesday German Spanish 30/30
Wednesday Croatian French 45min/15min
Thursday French German 30/30
Friday Croatian German 45min/15min
Saturday Spanish --    1 hr
Sunday Croatian Spanish 45min/15min

Croatian 3hrs, Spanish 1hr 45min, German 1hr 15 min, French 1hr

Also, I've in the process of getting lots of audio; songs, podcasts, etc so that I can
'study' even when it's not my active 1 block for the day.

And, living in Spanish as much as possible, and the active avoidance of English when
possible (correspondence with loved ones and us related business obviously yes). Museum has a guide? Take the Spanish one. And God help me to read Wikipedia in
Spanish, but sometimes the articles are just better in English! #firstworldproblems

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version