United States
Joined 4499 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 11
24 January 2012 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
Happy first post to me!

I'd like to move to Montreal as part of my neurological study in the future (I'm only a highschool freshman now), and I was just curious about the language.

I know absolutely 0 French, though I would like to study and become fairly proficient at it. While searching through possible resources, the question was presented to me: what's the difference between the French used in Quebec and that of Europe? Would I be fine in using resources based on European French, or should I limit myself to what focuses on Québécois?
1 person has voted this message useful

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5154 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 11
24 January 2012 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
Here's a thread about the same thing that I ask: http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21344&PN=1

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5281 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Studies: French

Message 3 of 11
24 January 2012 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
For differences I was going to list a few threads on this forum for you to read but there are too darn many of them so
if you click on 'Search' above and then select the tag 'Canada' you will find lots of threads on this topic.

As for resources, if you are a beginner then you have no choice really, there are no known Canadian French based
materials so select a standard French study program and dive in. Then start to listen to Radio-Canada radio or TV
sources.
http://radio-canada.ca
http://tou.tv
4 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 11
24 January 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Canadian French (or Québec French, as it is by far the most dominant variety of French in Canada and the one you'll be dealing with in Montréal) is a continuum which, at its extremes, is either Standard French with a slightly different accent or a dialect with a very different accent that's difficult to understand without proper exposure or instruction.

Even if you could find material that focused on Canadian French right from the start, you'd still have to learn two varieties of language. I'm assuming that's why no such material exists, and that's certainly why I opted against it as I began working on a QF self-teach method myself.

For that reason, starting off with Standard French (as long as your particular book or method is not too biased towards Parisian French or some other local variety of European French) is a viable option, and you WILL be understood. However, as soon as you move to the intermediate level, or any level where you want to start having interactions with people or listening to native material, you'll need to find ways to learn about the different grammar, usage and vocabulary. The real difficulty doesn't lie in the fact that it's a lot of information -- it's actually not that bad and I have witnessed many people throw themselves into an immersive situation in Québec and learn really fast -- it's just that it's mostly a spoken dialect and finding the right information is not always easy. However, if you succeed, I think it can be rather rewarding and you'll make many friends (and fans!) who will welcome you wholeheartedly. Many English-speaking students move there with basic Standard French and just end up staying with their English-speaking friends because the spoken language intimidates them and they figure they can't/shouldn't learn it.

So if you have no knowledge of French yet, dig in, but keep in mind that sooner or later, you should start exposing yourself to that particular accent/dialect.

Edited by Arekkusu on 24 January 2012 at 3:38pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

abwil208
Diglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 11
25 January 2012 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Canadian French (or Québec French, as it is by far the most dominant variety of French in Canada and the one you'll be dealing with in Montréal) is a continuum which, at its extremes, is either Standard French with a slightly different accent or a dialect with a very different accent that's difficult to understand without proper exposure or instruction.

Even if you could find material that focused on Canadian French right from the start, you'd still have to learn two varieties of language. I'm assuming that's why no such material exists, and that's certainly why I opted against it as I began working on a QF self-teach method myself.

For that reason, starting off with Standard French (as long as your particular book or method is not too biased towards Parisian French or some other local variety of European French) is a viable option, and you WILL be understood. However, as soon as you move to the intermediate level, or any level where you want to start having interactions with people or listening to native material, you'll need to find ways to learn about the different grammar, usage and vocabulary. The real difficulty doesn't lie in the fact that it's a lot of information -- it's actually not that bad and I have witnessed many people throw themselves into an immersive situation in Québec and learn really fast -- it's just that it's mostly a spoken dialect and finding the right information is not always easy. However, if you succeed, I think it can be rather rewarding and you'll make many friends (and fans!) who will welcome you wholeheartedly. Many English-speaking students move there with basic Standard French and just end up staying with their English-speaking friends because the spoken language intimidates them and they figure they can't/shouldn't learn it.

So if you have no knowledge of French yet, dig in, but keep in mind that sooner or later, you should start exposing yourself to that particular accent/dialect.

Wonderful post and wonderful advice, I very much appreciate it.

aodhanc
Diglot
Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6070 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 11
25 January 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
I definitely recommend learning standard European French.

As the previous post points out, almost all learning materials available are in that
version.

Obviously, with 70 million Francophones in Europe compared to 7 million in Canada, it's
an easy choice which to study.

Besides, all French Canadians will understand standard European French, even if they
don't necessarily speak it.

Also, the written language is almost the same, it's really only the spoken dialect that
varies.

Bonne chance.

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5281 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Studies: French

Message 7 of 11
25 January 2012 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
aodhanc wrote:
Obviously, with 70 million Francophones in Europe compared to 7 million in Canada, it's
an easy choice which to study.

One could equally say that if you plan to move to Montreal to study (like the OP), it's an easy choice which to study.
The number around you being more relevant than worldwide numbers.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Aucassin
Diglot
United States
Joined 5303 days ago

22 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 8 of 11
26 January 2012 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
Don't be afraid of Québec French! Even though you are still in high school start learning French now. The more
solid your basis in the language, the easier the transition to the local variety- in whatever country. You can listen to
Québec radio and even watch TV on the internet. After having studied and lived in France learning "Standard
French" I worked as a customer service rep for French speakers from all over Canada. Once I got used to the accent
and intonation, picking up the vocabulary was a lot of fun.

And people in France don't always speak "Standard French" either.

Go for it and have fun!

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version