United States
youtube.com/dearwandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5061 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 12
24 January 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
My current goal is to become fluent in Spanish.

My exposure to foreign language has been mostly passive as an American born and raised in the Midwest and then spending the latest 5 years of my life living in Florida. I recall my first exposure to foreign language was when my first grade teacher taught the class how to count to 10 in Spanish. Even then it was an exciting task and I took great pride in that ability. In high school we had the choice of studying French or Spanish and of the two I chose French. From what I recall I did pretty well. I also took a very unproductive semester of Spanish during college. I found the class boring and well....painful.

What has re-sparked my interest in ACTIVELY studying foreign languages is my love for travel. I’m best described as a travel FANATIC and I have experienced the joy of traveling to the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain (Barcelona, Murcia, Alicante and a brief trip to Madrid), Puerto Rico and various Carribean countries several times).

I love the Spanish language because it is important and sounds so pretty. My goal is to reach an advanced level of Spanish and then teach myself French by using the "laddering" method. French just sounds BEAUTIFUL and I LOVE Paris! I will enjoy immersing myself in all things French when I begin to explore the language.

I have realized that the best way for me to learn a language is to TEACH MYSELF by my own methods. And so far, I am making progress.... :-)

My team roster http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=30353&PN=0&TPN=1

Edited by dearwanderlust on 01 February 2012 at 9:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

dearwanderlust
United States
Joined 5061 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 2 of 12
24 January 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
My method for learning Spanish will be to spend at least 1 hour a day with the language but preferably 3. I'm incredibly busy so I'm not sure whether I'll have enough time. The first hour of my day I would like to devote to vocabulary. I plan to enter 25 words into Anki as well as do a review. I've realized the Pimsleur bores the heck out of me so I will probably stop listening to it. I have found that I learn better by SEEING my material and listening and reading seems extrememly effective. Therefore, I will probably do either a TY lesson, Notes in Spanish, YouTube lesson or Assimil lesson daily. I believe output is very important so I would like to spend 1 hour chatting or speaking with a native speaker on a daily basis. On the weekends I would like to watch Spanish movies. Unfortunately, my dvd is not working and Netflix foreign movies tend to have the subtitles in English and I prefer to see L1 and L2 subtitles at the same time. If not, then I would prefer to just read the subtitles in my target language.

I would like to immerse myself in the language as much as possible so I have the changed the settings on my sites I visit to the Spanish option.

I'm also participating in the Feb. 2012 6wc challenge and definitely plan on devoting great time to this. The last 6wc challenge I pretty much dropped out but this time I have a plan and I am ready.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 3 of 12
25 January 2012 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the Romantics team! Good luck with your goals!

dearwanderlust
United States
Joined 5061 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 4 of 12
25 January 2012 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
Welcome to the Romantics team! Good luck with your goals!

Thank you!!! I'm so excited to be part of the team! :-)

dearwanderlust
United States
Joined 5061 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 5 of 12
27 January 2012 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
So far I've found Anki to be incredibly useful for vocabulary review. The only issue is scheduling time to put in 25 new words per day. I'm not really a morning person so getting up early to put them in is not working very well. This may be something I need to do at night before bed. Over this weekend I plan on coming up with a more precise schedule since I also plan on adding the gym to my schedule as well. I must remember...failing to plan is like planning to fail. The Feb. 12 6WC challenge begin on the 1st and I want to do well. I want to do well and I WILL do well. I plan on studying no less than 150 hours for the 6 weeks.

dearwanderlust
United States
Joined 5061 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 6 of 12
31 January 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Okay, I'm charting out a schedule for Spanish learning. So far, I'm really thinking I want to dedicate my time as follows:

1 hr. vocab (putting 25 daily words in anki + 5 sentences + review (varying card directions)
1 hr. listening reading (teach yourself lessons, phrasebook w/ audio, assimil when I purchase it, notes in Spanish w/ workbooks when I purchase them; movies when I buy a new dvd player)
1 hr online chatting and speaking with a native speaker

and listening to Spanish music and podcasts as "background sounds" on a daily basis.

dearwanderlust
United States
Joined 5061 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 7 of 12
31 January 2012 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
I'm really interested in the listening and reading method so I'm catching up on the following links: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=6366 and http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Listening-Reading_Met hod

Ligador
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4753 days ago

81 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 8 of 12
31 January 2012 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/all-japanese-all-t he-time-ajatt-how-to-learn-japanese-on-your-own-having-fun-a nd-to-fluency

El método más efectivo para aprender un nuevo idioma (no dejes que los comerciales de Rosetta Stone te engañen :p)

But in all seriousness the method used by that guy to learn Japanese is essentially exactly what I do with Spanish. Tailor the method to your needs and take his advice with a grain of salt, but I really could not recommend a more effective way of learning a language than that one.

Suerte con tus estudios

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version