Joined 6340 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 17 of 20
31 January 2012 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:

Thanks for that clarification and insight. Clear thinking by HTLAL members like you helps make this forum a great place. This insight probably puts you at the "elite level" of the distribution curve, at the top end (^_-)

Ha, thank you. I'll try to make sure my head doesn't explode. ;)

His analysis was intended as a discussion piece to push people to address that disparity - that whole speech got him into so much trouble in the court of public opinion by the sound-bites and misquotes it engendered (pun intended) that I feel it led to part of the reason he evetually resigned. I was surprised.
While I strongly disagree with his politics in other areas and even the poor use of variance in that study (as if somehow a correlative normal distribution of intelligence occurs in academia - science or not), I find that he was unfortunately hung out to dry for as much as being the establishment as well as being politically incorrect. And the issue wasn't really addressed.

Edited by zenmonkey on 31 January 2012 at 7:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hoppy
Diglot
United States
Joined 4403 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 18 of 20
24 April 2012 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Of course learning a language isn't universally worthwhile. If you live somewhere isolated from the world outside your immeadiate community, don't enjoy trying new things, and abhor learning, then you probably won't enjoy learning or using a foreign language.

For the rest of us though, it is very enjoyable to learn and use foreign languages. Regardless of its value as an "investment", it is still worthwhile to engage in for the joy it brings us. If you can find uses for it at work, then that's great, although I don't think it's necessary to do so in order to justify learning a foreign language.

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4388 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 19 of 20
25 April 2012 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
It would seem all Lawrence Summers did was embarrass himself

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 20
25 April 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Do English-speaking professionals need to learn foreign languages? I'm reminded of a
quote from Willy Brandt, a former Chancellor of West Germany:

Quote:
If I'm selling to you, I speak your language. If I'm buying, dann müssen Sie
Deutsch sprechen.

Sure, many young European professionals speak comprehensible English. I've never had
any problems carrying on friendly conversations, for example. But in a business
context, you often need advanced linguistic skills: You need to clarify, to negotiate,
to persuade, to stand firm without giving offense. And this gets tricky.

I've spoken with some ambitious, young business professionals over Skype, trying to set
up language exchanges. We typically use a mix of French and English, and we try to
explain what our goals are, what kind of corrections will help us the most, and when
we're each available. And it's hard. Within a few emails, I often resort to
long, careful explanations in French, with more Je vous remercie, etc., than
I've ever seen a native Francophone use.

Sure, Anglophones can often rely on other people to learn English. But this only works
when (1) we have something they want, or (2) we have a vast reservoir of goodwill. I'm
not convinced that (1) will last forever, and every time we claim that we really don't
need to learn foreign languages, we diminish (2).

A huge number of educated Americans actually agree with the HTLAL community, at least
in spirit: They wish they spoke a foreign language. They took classes in school,
they buy Rosetta Stone, and they'll occasionally say, with a sigh of envy, "Do you know
that she speaks 3 languages fluently? I could never do that; I'm just awful at
languages." It's a defeatist attitude, but at least it's perceived as a defeat, not as
a point of pride.

It's better to have a vague yearning to learn a foreign language (or to have a 100 word
vocabulary and an enthusiastic smile), than it is to speak of foreign languages as a
bad investment.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version