Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

English: What’s this called? Is it wrong?

Tags: Syntax | English
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
25 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
Spanky
Canada
Joined 5766 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 17 of 25
07 February 2012 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
.... I'm wondering if there is a name for this

I believe what you describe is correct English. I do not know offhand whether there is any specific name for this use, which essentially is simply an instance of a noun phrase being treated as a grammatical unit.

From that fount of all knowledge, wikipedia.org:

"In English, for some purposes, noun phrases can be treated as single grammatical units. This is most noticeable in the syntax of the English genitive case. In a phrase such as The king of Sparta's wife, the possessive clitic "-'s" is not added to the king who actually has the wife, but instead to Sparta, as the end of the whole phrase. The clitic modifies the entire phrase the king of Sparta."

1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4498 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 18 of 25
07 February 2012 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
IronFist wrote:

The king of Sparta's wife, the possessive clitic "-'s" is not added to the king who actually has the wife, but instead to Sparta, as the end of the whole phrase. The clitic modifies the entire phrase the king of Sparta."

Touche. OK, you win.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5766 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 19 of 25
07 February 2012 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
OK, you win.

I never get to hear anyone say this of me in real life, so even though I did not mean my comment as a challenge, I am starved enough that I will take the win here!   The closest I usually get is “you whine...” (as in, “… a lot”).   Even when I attempt things that should be easy, I invariably don’t wind up with a W in the win column.    A couple of weeks ago, I challenged a neighbour dog to a thumb wrestle (figured even I could not blow that sure thing, she not having opposable thumbs and all), but the dog just got all weirded out and eventually fled.   

Edited by Spanky on 07 February 2012 at 2:38am

Northernlights
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4485 days ago

73 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 20 of 25
07 February 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Spanky, I guess this will make your day then, not only one but two people praising you ;-)

I didn't know the term "clitic", I've always called it the possessive apostrophe but I looked it up on wikipedia and found this under "English enclitics", supporting the "'s" position at the end of the noun phrase:

The genitive case (or "possessive") marker, at least when used to mark an entire noun phrase:

’s in The Queen of England's crown

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 25
08 February 2012 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
"Clitic" is not a name specifically for 's 's - it just means that something is tagged unto some else. The definite article which is put at the end of substantives in Nordic languages and Romanian is called "postclitic", and "enclitic" similarly means that some element is put somewhere in something else, typically a word. However the good thing about "clitics" is that the thing you attach them to don't have to be single words.

Edited by Iversen on 08 February 2012 at 11:11am

2 persons have voted this message useful

IronFist
United States
Joined 6247 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 22 of 25
08 February 2012 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
IronFist wrote:

I believe what you describe is correct English. I do not know offhand whether there is any specific name for this use, which essentially is simply an instance of a noun phrase being treated as a grammatical unit.

From that fount of all knowledge, wikipedia.org:

"In English, for some purposes, noun phrases can be treated as single grammatical units. This is most noticeable in the syntax of the English genitive case. In a phrase such as The king of Sparta's wife, the possessive clitic "-'s" is not added to the king who actually has the wife, but instead to Sparta, as the end of the whole phrase. The clitic modifies the entire phrase the king of Sparta."

"King of Sparta" is a title, though, so it makes sense there.

Can I still say "the guy next door's book"?

I would intuitively agree with geoffw who said that it's probably not technically correct, but it's colloquially acceptable. I wouldn't write it like that in an essay, however.

Edited by IronFist on 08 February 2012 at 5:30pm

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5375 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 23 of 25
08 February 2012 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
As I understand it (and I am open to correction) as well as being a title, the 'king of
Sparta' is also a noun phrase, as is 'the guy next door' and the syntactical rule set out
by Spanky above applies to noun phrases.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5370 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 24 of 25
08 February 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
You hear "the guy next door's" a lot, but you don't see it written down much. Whatever the reason, it feels awkward if you have to think about it, and it just looks inelegant, and most writers will try and reformulate it.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version