Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4469 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 57 of 64
15 February 2012 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
I still hold with my previous statement that watching movies should mainly be a leisure actvity,

I use them as one of my main listening comprehension tools. The way I use them, they are great for that. So I
disagree with you, because I think it depends on your overall language learning method.

OP - I recommend going from hard to easy, as other posters have stated. Watching shows with L1 subtitles by
themselves have little value, imo. But watch them after you have already seen the original show with no subtitles, or
some other combination, and they become a helpful translation tool.
2 persons have voted this message useful

LingJenkx
United States
Joined 4438 days ago

1 posts - 3 votes

Message 58 of 64
14 March 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
If the L-R method works well, why doesn't it apply here? If I read L1 while listening to L2, I'm letting my brain see meaning while hearing L2. Doesn't reading the L1 subtitles while listening to the "drama" in L2 work in the same way?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4700 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 59 of 64
18 March 2012 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Putting on Korean subtitles would be fine. I do that with foreign films a (put the
subtitles in the language of the dialogue) and it helps me understand so much more. The
synthesis of being able to read it as well as here it makes it, not just both of them
seperate.

Another added benefit is that you don't have that cognitive dissonance when you hear one
language and the translated subtitles dont' capture hardly any of the original meaning.
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5923 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 60 of 64
18 March 2012 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
LingJenkx wrote:
If the L-R method works well, why doesn't it apply here? If I read L1 while listening to L2, I'm
letting my brain see meaning while hearing L2. Doesn't reading the L1 subtitles while listening to the "drama" in L2
work in the same way?

Not for me. If I read English subtitles, my long term memory will actually recall the characters speaking English.
Somehow reading the words, hot-wires directly into my brain and substitutes English for Japanese/FInnish, and a
week later I won't even be sure if I saw the movie in English or some other language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4849 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 61 of 64
22 October 2013 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
Yeah, I've clocked years and years of Japanese anime raw, and then years with English
subs and then raw
again the last 4 years or so. I'm convinced that for me English subs are completely useless -- that my long
term memory will recall the characters as actually speaking English. It's like the subs go right to my
subconscious and store the sounds as English. I think maybe this allows me to enjoy subbed movies more
directly, but for language learning, forget it.

I use electrical tape to cover up subs.

I'm sorry for resurrecting this dusty old thread, but I still can't stop laughing. =)))

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4434 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 62 of 64
22 October 2013 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
Subtitles used to be very helpful to me, but now I feel that sometimes it makes my comprehension worse because I focus too much on the subs. The same happens to me in English, and especially when I watched Sherlock. I needed to turn on subs sometimes and my eyes were glued to them, and instead of listening, I was reading and I mentally blocked out all sound.

It's probably better at a certain point to use subs than when you get more comfortable with the language.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4242 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 63 of 64
22 October 2013 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
Anybody familiar with Chinese a lot of videos have subtitles in standard Mandarin for people speaking various
dialects. A lot of people in the Chinese community are used to reading so having subtitles on the screen isn't too
intimidating. There are some who are Cantonese or Mandarin speakers who would prefer to stick to the language
they are familiar with so that they don't have to read. Depending on how conscious you are learning a specific
language, there are those who would watch a half-dozen movies in 1 language with subtitles and not even pick up
a single word or phrase. And those who watch a movie once or twice and pick up many phrases. Using Chinese as
an example many movies use standard Mandarin as subtitles but some do not. Suppose you are watching a movie
in Cantonese from Hong Kong the phrase for "quickly" in standard Mandarin would be 快點 kuàidiǎn or 快一點
kuàiyīdiǎn for a bit more quickly. In Cantonese you would see 快-D with the English letter D at the end. Watching a
movie in Cantonese with standard Mandarin subtitles you wouldn't see all the text match with the dialog. Doing it
with Cantonese subtitles all the text should match with the dialog unless the speaker used an English word such
as ID (for identification) and the subtitle used the Cantonese equivalent 證件.

I spend time every week in an exercise room. There is a TV on the wall with the volume switched off. Regardless of
the original language you can only watch with CC (close caption for the hearing impaired). As someone who is
used to watching foreign films having the CC feature on full-time isn't an issue. Even a familiar language like
English there are times a speaker would say something too fast so having subtitles of any kind is useful. I know an
old lady who speaks 2 languages (English & French) but has hearing problems. When she is not watching TV with
headphones she must switch on the CC. Otherwise the volume would be at 100db and too loud for people around
who isn't half as deaf. Some of the time I will leave the TV on to listen to the news like a radio while working on
the computer so wouldn't make any difference if there is text on the screen or not.

Edited by shk00design on 24 October 2013 at 8:22am

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 64 of 64
22 October 2013 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:
cathrynm wrote:
Yeah, I've clocked years and years of Japanese
anime raw, and then years with English
subs and then raw
again the last 4 years or so. I'm convinced that for me English subs are completely
useless -- that my long
term memory will recall the characters as actually speaking English. It's like the
subs go right to my
subconscious and store the sounds as English. I think maybe this allows me to enjoy
subbed movies more
directly, but for language learning, forget it.

I use electrical tape to cover up subs.

I'm sorry for resurrecting this dusty old thread, but I still can't stop laughing. =)))

:-) I would use masking tape, as it comes off easily.

More seriously, there is certainly a danger that you just focuse on the NL subtitles,
and "tune out" the TL audio. I've noticed that happens with L-R as well (using
audiobooks). TL subtitles are one step better, if they exist on the media in question,
and it's more obvious if the subtitles are faithful to the audio, or not. I've noticed
that they usually are, but with the occasional word missed out, or a simpler phrase
used. That's ok, as it keeps you on your toes.

If you have the time and opportunity to watch once with TL subtitles, and a second (or
more) time without, that's probably ideal. Sorry, that's probably been said before in
this thread.

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version