64 messages over 8 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>
lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5097 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 9 of 64
05 February 2012 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
A little suggestion:
If you have the subs for your target language and your native language, then just print them. (You can create a real bilingual edition in one file or) just make two print outs and put them side to side. This way you have a wonderful learning tool, the efficiency of this kind of parallel text has been known for centuries, and if you add the video, maybe after having gone through the texts for a while, comparing the versions and working on important unknown words and structures, - sounds like a perfect thing, doesn't it?

Even a single episode you can really understand can do wonders, after having worked out about ten episodes it should become possible to watch for real enjoyment, sometimes with subs, alternating L1 and L2, sometimes without subs, and still learn something, or a lot.

(Your starting level should not be too low, imo, else you would be better off doing some more elementary studies before this kind of activity.)

(A simple text editor can read and print srt files, I have not checked other formats now, but there should be a solution for each of them.)

Edited by lingoleng on 05 February 2012 at 8:20pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5252 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 10 of 64
05 February 2012 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
It seems as if our reading experiences differ. I definitely don't read subtitles. I just
watch the line for a split-second and then I can keep listening. How slowly do people here read? Where's the
simultaneous capacity?

I don't really read the subtitles either. Maybe it has something to do with us Scandinavians growing up with subtitled
TV.

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4498 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 11 of 64
05 February 2012 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
I'm an enemy of learning the language through total immersion because it sucks in terms of efficiency, especially at the lower levels.

I disagree. It's slow in the beginning, but it allows much faster progress later. That's because immersion forces you to learn prosody and phonology before you can progress further. With other methods these are usually skipped, so it may seem you progress faster, but immersion is better in the long run.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5334 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 12 of 64
05 February 2012 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
I posted something about this in Tarko's language log thread, but my suggestion is to do both. I get different benefits from watching subbed shows than I do watching unsubbed shows, plus I watch more shows by doing this than I would with just one or the other. The reason I watch more doing this is two-fold. A) Some shows aren't readily available subbed, so if I limited myself to ones that are, I wouldn't watch those shows at all. B) Some shows/movies don't hold my interest enough in unsubbed format since I'm not as sure what is going on (though this part lessens with time). If I only watched unsubbed shows, then I wouldn't watch these at all.
5 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5448 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 13 of 64
05 February 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Let's just say I spent 2009 watching a lot of K dramas with subtitles when I was
getting into learning Korean. I probably watched around 400 episodes of Kdramas that
year. I honestly didn't get much out of it aside from a few phrases.

Then in early 2010, frustrated that the good subbers took 1-2 weeks to get their subs
out and not wanting to watch the crappy subs that come out in one day, I started
watching K dramas raw. It was as if I had no idea what was going on, but I recognized
some phrases and words and could understand what was going on through the acting.

About a month or two later of doing this, I found out that my listening improved a lot
because I had to focus a lot more on what was being said instead of just reading some
subtitles. Listening to the Korean was secondary for me when I watched dramas subbed,
as I was focused on reading the text.

I'm all for watching shows unsubbed/raw. It forces you to focus more on what's being
said and how they say things. The remedy to make it easier to understand the dialogue
is to watch more dramas without subs, along with continuing to learn new vocabulary and
grammar. Speaking practice will also help out a lot with watching dramas raw.
8 persons have voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4977 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 14 of 64
05 February 2012 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
I like to watch KBS world too, and I ussualy hide the subs (by a very strange method), or sit far away
from TV, without glasses.
For paying attention, is very important in the immersion.
subtitles can be helpful though - if you don't know a word they are saying, you can pick up some new
vocabulary this way, but it's good to learn to rely only on the spoken word.
I don't believe the 'native subs' thing :(
they make you read, and not listen, so it's more like practicing reading (it's also an important skill, of
course) than listening.
Or maybe it's just me.
I feel it didn't gave me something of a boost in Chinese, by watching native subbed dramas.
Maybe a little, I don't know.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5924 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 15 of 64
05 February 2012 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I've clocked years and years of Japanese anime raw, and then years with English subs and then raw
again the last 4 years or so. I'm convinced that for me English subs are completely useless -- that my long
term memory will recall the characters as actually speaking English. It's like the subs go right to my
subconscious and store the sounds as English. I think maybe this allows me to enjoy subbed movies more
directly, but for language learning, forget it.

I use electrical tape to cover up subs.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5565 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 16 of 64
05 February 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Could it be that there's a difference in how one processes/remembers L3 audio with L1 subtitles compared to L3 audio with L2 subtitles?

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version