blackcherries
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4548 days ago

41 posts - 48 votes
Studies: German

Message 1 of 16
05 February 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm looking for simple input and right now I find books difficult so I thought I'd start
with comics but I only know about the Archie series in English from when I was ten years
old. I read online that it has been translated into numerous languages including German
but I can't buy them anywhere. It appears they offer digital copies of Archie comics as
well but I can't find them either after Googling. I'm looking to buy editions in English
and German online. Anybody know where I can find them. I've got Issue 1 of Archie: Kevin
Keller; is anyone aware if this is available in German? Amazon only has compilations of
old issues.

I'm also looking for comic ideas that which are available in English and German. I want
to stick with modern-day language usage and just humans not superhero comics. Any that
will be good for learners of languages?
1 person has voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5493 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 2 of 16
05 February 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
The language in comics can actually be surprisingly difficult, though that depends on the individual case. A popular German online comic is nichtlustig.de, although I would say linguistically it's more high-intermediate level – there's not much language, but you often need a well-developed vocabulary and level of cultural knowledge to get the joke. If you like Tintin, I'd recommend looking for German translations of those – the language isn't so difficult and there's quite a bit of repeated vocabulary, as well as various styles of talking from various characters.

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5399 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 3 of 16
05 February 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I am a fervent fan of French comics (bandes dessinées) and have a huge collection of them. But there are not so many German authors. They don't thrive in Germany. The only one, whose work I know more intimately is Ralf König. But you have to like gay content to read it.

PS. Yes, Nichtlustig is simply adorable. But these are simply one picture comics, no story lines. Read them, when you are an advanced learner and if you like macabre things.
2 persons have voted this message useful

blackcherries
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4548 days ago

41 posts - 48 votes

Message 4 of 16
06 February 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
The language in comics can actually be surprisingly difficult, though that
depends on the individual case. A popular German online comic is nichtlustig.de,
although I would say linguistically it's more high-intermediate level – there's not much
language, but you often need a well-developed vocabulary and level of cultural knowledge
to get the joke. If you like Tintin, I'd recommend looking for German translations of
those – the language isn't so difficult and there's quite a bit of repeated vocabulary,
as well as various styles of talking from various characters.

Do Germans still use the vocabulary and the way of talking Tintin comics do? Isn't it
too old?

blackcherries
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4548 days ago

41 posts - 48 votes

Message 5 of 16
06 February 2012 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
I am a fervent fan of French comics (bandes dessinées) and have a huge
collection of them. But there are not so many German authors. They don't thrive in
Germany. The only one, whose work I know more intimately is
Ralf König. But you have to like
gay content to read it.

PS. Yes, Nichtlustig is simply adorable. But these are simply one picture comics, no
story lines. Read them, when you are an advanced learner and if you like macabre things.

Why does Wiki says his "books" have been translated? Are "books" also known as comics or
did he write novels too? What type of stories does he write about?

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5399 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 6 of 16
07 February 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Are "books" also known as comics or did he write novels too?

Why shouldn't a comic be a book? You can read them, they are bound to books and have an ISBN-number. Nowadays comics don't any longer have to have an inferiority complex vis-à-vis prose works. There are very serious works among them like Maus or Persepolis. If comic sounds too vile, let's call them grapic novels.

Edited by Cabaire on 07 February 2012 at 12:13am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5493 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 7 of 16
07 February 2012 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Quote:
Are "books" also known as comics or did he write novels too?

Why shouldn't a comic be a book? You can read them, they are bound to books and have an ISBN-number. Nowadays comics don't any longer have to have an inferiority complex vis-à-vis prose works. There are very serious works among them like Maus or Persepolis. If comic sounds too vile, let's call them grapic novels.

Yes, I grew up reading "comic books", as opposed to "comic strips" (what you find in newspapers). Nowadays there are also just "comics" online, which is perhaps causing this disintegration in comic-terminology. The two examples Cabaire names can both stand proud next to any novel, in my opinion.

And as for the language in Tintin-style comic books, I find it very helpful. I don't tend to memorize everything I read in a book and then repeat it word-for-word in conversation, so there's no worry that I might end up speaking awkwardly. I tend to use a word or construction in conversation only after having encountered it in many different circumstances. Reading Tintin and the like simply broadens my linguistic horizons, which I like to do in any language.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5356 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 8 of 16
07 February 2012 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
I don't tend to read comics myself but when I was living in Germany I often saw extensive and diverse collections of German language comics in most large bookstores (most seemed to be vampire related or translations of well-known Marvel and manga classics). So I know for a fact that there's plenty of material out there. I don't know if Thalia sell books online to customers outside Germany but their comics and manga section could at least be a good starting place.

Edited by Teango on 07 February 2012 at 12:11pm

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version