Joined 5139 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 33
07 July 2012 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Bump.

Self-pity and loathing, ranting, blaming of others, a tantrum, crying and other useless stuff (venting needed anyway) here.

Thanks, dear, you just made my morning!
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 33
07 July 2012 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
mrwarper wrote:
...Self-pity ...and other useless stuff (venting needed anyway) here.
Thanks, dear, you just made my morning!

Wow! Now am I supposed to take that seriously and conclude you're yet another schadenfreuder?
Or is it non-wink sarcasm and you're trying to make me feel guilty for making you feel bad?
Tsk, tsk, I expected so much more from you, Cristina ;-)

(For the record and any doofus in the wild -- I am not offended, hurt or whatever, and I just said the above in jest -- see the smiley?)

Edited by mrwarper on 07 July 2012 at 5:00pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4512 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 19 of 33
01 October 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Hello mrwarper, Captain Tarvos reporting in and checking: is your ship still set to warp
drive?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5031 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 20 of 33
02 October 2012 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
The ship is still set to warp drive, but I'm afraid it took off without me when I went out for a stroll at our last stopover. I'm waiting for my crew to come back and pick me up ;(

OK, time for an update I guess...

Language-wise things have been a disaster lately. I've been distracted by a gazillion other things (some of them vaguely languages-related but...), so I have not only not gotten round to call up my neighbour and do some Japanese but I've dropped pretty much all activity in the other language fronts too. Notice a drought of my posts lately?

The Russian front: Sasha's (the Arbat) is gone for good, and now home roles are inverted, with my dear friend being in charge of the housekeeping, the kids, etc. and the wife working by night (in my town) to bring home some money — so she's basically KO most of the day and Sasha is pretty busy. This means I'll keep in touch in the distance so no language practice — I'll see them very little because I can't invite them over and I hate disturbing people's lives with short-notice visits.

German: I can't say I haven't done anything, but it's been mostly digitalization of my text books, aligning texts and little else. That means I have now ALL my German materials (regular and 'students' books) conveniently stored in my 10" e-book reader. If I only went from carrying them around at all times to having a look at them... I managed to flunk my B2 test in September, so I guess that pretty much rules out osmosis as a learning method :)

Goethe Institut holds examinations every two months, so no big deal, though. I'm confident that I can reach B2 over the next two months (the recommended level to attend university classes or work, so getting a level certificate beforehand should make things considerably easier) so I'll probably start looking up for Arbeitsangeboten in short.

Meanwhile I have a few other things to take care of right now so time will tell how well I do with everything. Thanks for the interest, sorry to have so little to show ;(

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5139 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 21 of 33
07 October 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry about having had a little down period. That is what we team mates are for, to encourage each
other, and help ( and if it is any consolation, I do not have a lot to show for myself lately either: But team
Sputnik will reach the stars after a little Summer- early Autumn break right?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5031 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 22 of 33
11 October 2012 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
I hope so :)

Thanks for the support, but I'm not worried at all — my advances (lack thereof, actually) are perfectly logical consequences of my actions, and there were reasons behind my choices, so it's not like I couldn't tell what was going to happen, and thus there's no reason to feel bad about that :)

Anyway, I expect most 'other stuff' to settle soon so I'll have the time to work on my languages. Now, will I finally choose to do it over whatever comes my way — that I can only hope for, cross your fingers ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 11 October 2012 at 2:33am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5139 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 23 of 33
17 November 2012 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
How are you doing? Any mystical Russian beauties in your vicinity to boost your motivation :-)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5031 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 24 of 33
20 November 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure 'mystical' is the appropriate word -- I can only imagine what you mean ;)
Thanks for dropping by, though!

As it turns out, I actually have one Russian beauty of sorts coming my way (now are you a clairvoyant or what?!?) next weekend, but I'm not sure if she may be a bit more on the demotivational side ;( We'll see...

OTOH my regular Russian friends have become more available when I drop by at the coast on weekends (and these are the kind of people who will tell me every single time, "if you come to town next weekend, do call me" and will make sure to show up when I do, talk about feeling welcome) which will only make me feel worse if I don't get round to doing something (language-related, I mean) with them. As you may imagine, I managed to get involved in another project (to be presented to an European organization for labour risks prevention, no less!) so I'm doing pretty much nothing these days but this should be finished in a couple of weeks so... will I get something more done before the end of the year? <Twilight Zone theme>...

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version