Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 25 of 33
01 December 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Miss Russian beauty is gone, and the first phase of the project for the European LRP organism is finished (pending approval, the first session of feedback supposed to be held yesterday but...). Why did everything have to happen this last week, including a visit from my parents to squash our only chance to interact alone and work out some downs in a neglected area of my life? At least after 24 hours of stress being over it hasn't been hard to recover from emotional exhaustion. However I'm more unclear than ever on the subject of learning Russian.

The other fronts show as little progress as usual: no progress in my other languages, and my own country (never felt like it, actually) makes me feel ever sicker if I bother to step out of my cave. Where to go? Apparently, Russia is a no-no right now, Russian spoken or not, and I don't feel confident enough with my German yet, which BTW is already rusting again (clearly implying I didn't ingrain it well enough).

I hope not to disappoint anybody who might be expecting more 'personal' stuff ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 01 December 2012 at 12:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5139 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 33
01 December 2012 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
An update is an update :-) It sounds like an opportunity missed for Russian learning, but I am sure you will
get back in the saddle later.

Have you had a chance to use your German much? It does not sound like it, given that you feel it is getting
rusty.

Do you have a plan or a method or do you do like me: study some whenever the occasion presents itself?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5031 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 27 of 33
04 December 2012 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
An update is an update :-) It sounds like an opportunity missed for Russian learning,

Oh, not really. We spent almost two days together, but given that most of it consisted of attending events or doing things which pretty much prevent interaction (something I like doing with people I see frequently but a bit pointless with long no-sees if you ask me), how much can you 'learn' in what little time we had to update each other and take care of other 'urgent' stuff?

Quote:
but I am sure you will get back in the saddle later.

Sure. We have this, er, thing where she'll be like a cold fish when seeing Russian stuff (DVDs, keyboard layout tables or soda cans) on my desktop, then she'll cheer and coo over my having names written in Cyrillic in my phone, my painfully reading aloud her scribbles or passport, or my perfect pronunciation of ы ("that's what distinguishes best us natives from foreigners").

Maybe I'll even talk her into teaching me some day, if I can keep that channel open :)

Quote:
Have you had a chance to use your German much? It does not sound like it, given that you feel it is getting rusty.

Not one. I am really weary of the kind of people I can most likely meet here (just like we've mentioned on Teckight's log) so I don't actively seek them any more. Since most German films on TV are quite dull, my practice is nil. I'm not studying either, so add two and two... I guess I'll finally have to give my Austrian friends some life signals :)

Quote:
Do you have a plan or a method or do you do like me: study some whenever the occasion presents itself?

As I have commented here and there before, I have a plan that's goddamn slow but has been effective so far in all areas of my life: keep getting things (materials, mind) ready for your pending tasks whenever you have a moment. Eventually you'll reach another of those moments when you have run out of stuff to get ready for the task so you'll pretty much have to start it for real ;)

Which leads me to hereby sadly close down my 2012 TAC thread with zilch advance (or close enough). In a moment I'll open my 2013 thread in the --hopefully not vain-- hopes that adding a full month to the year will get me somewhere (since anything would be further ;)

About my update style, I think I'll repeat this: one main post where I keep updating actual work without bumping the thread (quiet updates), then the usual thread with discussions going on with team members, fan posts ;) etc. Both are in the same place but not mixed -- easier to follow.

See y'all in like 15 minutes!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5139 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 28 of 33
05 December 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps we should do a little German practice on the team as well - we did once on a Skype session some
months ago, and I believe they spoke some German on the last Skype session too. Quite a number of us has
German as a focus language in addition to Russian.

In the first one I think we were all eager to speak anything but Russian, so we spoke, English, German,
French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and even some Swedish and Norwegian - not everybody participating in all
conversations, obviously. And then we said good bye in Russian :-)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4512 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 29 of 33
05 December 2012 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
I can speak any of my other languages if you want to practice those.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5031 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 30 of 33
06 December 2012 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
Privet!

Well if next time my family isn't around (in their usual timely fashion) or I have no other problems I don't mind trying German as well. Or rather, listening to your German -- this Skype thing is still somewhat psychologically blocking for me :)

I'm so sorry I missed the scripted sessions -- I don't know how good that's for language practice, but it sure would make the whole thing easier/less 'scary'.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5139 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 31 of 33
06 December 2012 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
That's what we found too :-)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5031 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 32 of 33
06 December 2012 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Another front in which I'm lagging behind. I soooo hate y'all ;)

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version