Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6311 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 12
10 February 2012 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
I see the German ö, ä and ü being replaced with the digraphs oe, ae and ue respectively some of the time.

If I understand correctly the above replacement with digraphs can always be made as needed (for example if a font is missing those characters).

Is the inverse true? Is every occurrence of oe an ö? and likewise for the others?
1 person has voted this message useful

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5154 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 12
10 February 2012 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
ß = ss
ä = ae
ü = ue
ö = oe

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4559 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 3 of 12
10 February 2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
There is no ß is Standard Swiss German.
As for
ä = ae
ü = ue
ö = oe

they are only spelled like this if the font/typeface/keyboard lacks the German letters.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5130 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 4 of 12
10 February 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Eagle32 wrote:
Is the inverse true? Is every occurrence of oe an ö? and likewise for the others?

Generally speaking yes, however, there are a number of word in which "oe" and "ue" do not represent an Umlaut. For example:

zuerst (= at first) does not stand for *zürst
soeben (= just) does not stand for *söben

This means that it's not possible to globally replace all occurrences of "oe" and "ue" with "ö" and "ü" to fix umlaut issues.

"ae", "oe" and "ue" also need to be maintained in proper names. For example, don't write J.W. von Goethe's last name as *Göthe.

BTW, since there's no capital "ß," "SS" is mandatory for capitalized German words containing an "ß" (except for capitalized proper names in legal documents).
However, most Germans don't even realize that there's no capital "ß" and you're more likely to see "SOßE" than the correct "SOSSE."

Edited by Doitsujin on 10 February 2012 at 7:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 5 of 12
10 February 2012 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
A tangent: This convention is standard in German, but it is NOT in Finnish. It's funny when I see Finnish athletes going to sporting events, and on the score boards they will have their names written out like Maeki, instead of Mäki, and so on.

I only mention it here because I found it both amusing and a little frustrating that the German convention is assumed for other languages.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5130 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 

Message 6 of 12
10 February 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
A tangent: This convention is standard in German, but it is NOT in Finnish.

So how did Finns write ä and ü in telegrams and on the Internet before the introduction of Unicode and NLS?

Edited by Doitsujin on 10 February 2012 at 7:32pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4498 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 7 of 12
10 February 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Eagle32 wrote:

Yes, with the exception of proper names. For example, don't write Goethe as Göthe.
BTW, since there's no capital "ß," "SS" is mandatory for capitalized German words.
However, most Germans don't even realize that there's no capital "ß" and you're more likely to see "MAßE" instead of "MASSE," which is of course wrong.

With the exception of SOME proper names, you mean? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other names that don't use an umlaut, but plenty that do.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5130 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 

Message 8 of 12
10 February 2012 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
With the exception of SOME proper names, you mean? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other names that don't use an umlaut, but plenty that do.

You're right in that there aren't that many proper German names with "oe", "ue" and "ae" (e.g. Goethe), but they do exist and if they were originally intentionally written like that, the spelling needs to be maintained. The same goes, BTW, for "ß" in the proper names such as Litfaßsäule (=advertising/morris column), which was invented by Ernst Litfaß.
(Post spelling reform German orthography would normally require *Litfasssäule.)   

Edited by Doitsujin on 10 February 2012 at 7:33pm

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version