Diglot
Australia
Joined 5360 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 561 of 568
17 September 2014 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Nee, mijn grootouders zijn in Australië ook, maar ik heb twee tante en wat neven die daar nog wonen (Hoe vreemd
dat het woord 'neef' betekent 'cousin' én 'nephew'.. ik vraag me af of dat vroeger in het Engels ook zo was..). Dus nu
ben je alweer thuis of nog door Europa reizen?
1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 562 of 568
17 September 2014 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Netherlands Report

So I just got back from the Netherlands! Yay!

I wanted to write down my thoughts on the language side of this whole experience while
it's still fresh.

First: before I left Latvia, I estimated that my level in Dutch was around B2. On the
other hand, I didn't know how things would really play out because I hadn't
actively studied Dutch since the spring. Out of supreme laziness, I did not really
brush up beforehand either.

When I arrived in the airport in Eindhoven, I was thrilled to be surrounded by the
language for the first time in a long time. I'd spent so much time in Latvia that I'd
gotten used to not understanding what people were saying around me. Now it felt like
my ears were suddenly super-sharp, like a bat.

That night I hung out in Utrecht with some friends from the art school. We sat around
a fire by the edge of a canal. (Typical Dutch.) To my pleasant surprise, I was able to
follow the conversation quite easily - thank the hundreds of hours I've spent watching
trashy Dutch TV for that. On the other other hand, I didn't feel quite comfortable
jumping in.

The next day I decamped for Deventer to hang out with my Oma and Opa. At this point I
was worried that my Dutch was rustier than I had thought. My Oma and Opa's English is
not all that, so I knew I'd actually need Dutch now.

Fortunately, it turned out that I just needed a day to get going. I found I was able
to use Dutch to:
  • Answer my Oma's nosy questions about my love life

• Handle daily household events and tasks like grocery shopping

• Discuss family, work, and funny things that happened the other day in depth

• Make jokes

• Reminisce about the past with my Opa

• Work out what's going on with my Dutch bank account

• Add money to my OV-chipkaart at the NS counter

• Chat with my grandparents' non-English-speaking friends

The night before I left the Netherlands, I lost my phone on the bus and ended up going
on this crazy adventure that involved heroic bus drivers, several transfers, panicked
explanations, and a private bus ride home just for me. (Phone was found. God bless the
city of Deventer.) And during all this stress and craziness... I solved the problem
entirely through Dutch! I was probably proudest of this.

While I am happy with what I could do with my Dutch, it became quite apparent over the
course of the trip that my Dutch is not super. In fact, I would say that, at best, it
is okay. I think my pronunciation is alright, and my grammar is usually fine, but my
word choice and sentence structure is really simplistic. I would say I am probably on
the level of an articulate Dutch 6-year-old.

I think this is actually great though - it shows how much you can do with a language
at an intermediate level, and what you can do is pretty amazing.

I also noticed, once again, that how I use Dutch really varies depending on the social
situation. In Utrecht, I'm constantly surrounded by young people my age who speak
English, and I'll be lazy and go with that. I actually feel guilty speaking Dutch
because I know it slows things down. But the further east I go, the less English is
spoken. There, I feel 100% comfortable busting out my Dutch because I know it's
welcome and helpful. I also feel more confident.

Overall, I'm very happy with how things went.

A bonus: while I was in Utrecht, I had the pleasure of meeting Tarvos. He is lovely in
person!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 563 of 568
17 September 2014 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:
Nee, mijn grootouders zijn in Australië ook, maar ik heb twee tante en wat
neven die daar nog wonen (Hoe vreemd dat het woord 'neef' betekent 'cousin' én
'nephew'.. ik vraag me af of dat vroeger in het Engels ook zo was..). Dus nu ben je
alweer thuis of nog door Europa reizen?

Ah oké. Leuk, waar wonen ze dan?

Ja, ik vind het ook grappig dat 'neef' allebei 'cousin' en 'nephew' betekent. Mijn ex-
vriendje heeft altijd problemen met die woorden in het Engels. Het lijkt dat 'cousin'
uit het Frans komt, toch? Of niet?

Ben nu thuis, op dit moment zat van al het reizen en zo. :-P

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4084 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 564 of 568
17 September 2014 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
Ik wilde je iets eens even vragen, kijk je naar het BNNprogramma's zoals
Try Before You Die, Sp&Sl, en Sp&Sl Op Reis? De
laatste twee vol durf ik niet te schrijven, maar degenen die daarnaar kijken kennen ze.
Ik leer me een heel deel uitdrukkingen uit deze programma's.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 17 September 2014 at 5:50am

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 565 of 568
17 September 2014 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
Hahaha, nee, ik kijk niet naar Spuiten & Slikken. Wat een prachtige naam. Het lijkt me echter
wel leuk - dat en Try Before You Die.

Heb je Slaapkamers dan ook bekeken? Ik heb
het nooit zelf bekeken, maar het werd me aanbevolen. Het lijkt een beetje op je favoriete tv-
programma's.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4084 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 566 of 568
17 September 2014 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
Nee dat heb ik niet, maar ik wil meer programma's naar te kijken, ik merk dat er zoveel
gekke programma's op televisie in Nedelrand staan, zeker zou deze allemaal zeker in de VS
en misschien in de VK en Australië verboden worden. Ik vind hen soms wat raar, maar
altijd interessant. En daarna kijk of luister ik naar Nieuwsuur en NOS Journaal...

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5360 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 567 of 568
17 September 2014 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
Drie nieuwe programma's waar ik een blik op zal moeten werpen. Ik stel me voor dat je er wat interessant
taalgebruik van kon leren, zoals je al heb gezegd 1e4e6. Enige voorbeelden die je echt opviel? Ik had eigenlijk wat
nieuwe programma's nodig dus dank jullie allebei wel voor de suggesties.

Ja we hebben geen programma's over drugs en dergelijke hier in Australië, maar ze zouden hier zeker niet verboden
worden. Eigenlijk maken we heel weinig programma's onszelf, dus het meerendeel van wat op televisie staat, komt
van Amerika of Engeland (en pas het laatste jaar van Denemarken).

Ik heb gemerkt dat veel Nederlandse programma's om gewone mensen en relaties en die soort dingen gaan, in
plaats van ingewikkelde drama's en zo. Er bestaan een heleboel van. Betekent dat dat de Nederlanders vinden echte
mensen met ware verhalen interessanter dan iets verzonnens? Redekunstige vraag, zoals altijd ;)

plumbem!
Groupie
United States
Joined 3427 days ago

44 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 568 of 568
28 December 2014 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
I will have to find a very strange mood to look through your whole log and try and root out some good Dutch podcasts/TV but otherwise

I'm sorry for disappearing from team Dutch last year!
My account got disabled when I tried to change my e-mail and I didn't think to make another.

Also, please come back. Forum Death is so passe.

This discussion contains 568 messages over 71 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version