12 messages over 2 pages: 1
lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5109 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 9 of 12
01 March 2012 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Rincewind wrote:
Publishing companies are either hiring the lowest paid translators or they're doing it themselves via Google Translate.

Please give me one example for the latter, so that I can have a look. Have things come so far, already?
(Most bestsellers are bad books before the translation, and when translated they may become slightly worse. I mean, how can you do harm to a Dan Brown book, e.g.? I think a great share of the Brazilian market are pseudo-religion and sensational esoteric stuff, nothing to lose here, either. Well, ok, when I come to think about it, these books are also a major percentage of the German market, and I cannot give an opinion about the quality of these translations. But just to add a little more substance: I have read John Updike in German, and the translations of the rabbit series are wonderful, everybody can read these books in German and will learn a lot about the beauty of the - German language. That's one example why I don't like these general warnings about translations.)

Edited by lingoleng on 01 March 2012 at 1:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

Stephen7878
Diglot
United States
Joined 4592 days ago

34 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Greek, Italian

Message 10 of 12
01 March 2012 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Stephen7878 wrote:
I have been trying for weeks to find literature in modern Greek but it is proving rather difficult. I've tried searching everything and its like it doesn't even exist, even Harry Potter could only be found in Ancient Greek on Amazon. Do any of you have any ideas of where I might be able to find something?

I just did a quick search on Amazon and got lots results for modern Greek literature. Does it have to be Harry Potter? And it looks like they offer a good range of other children's books in Greek, too.

The search term I used was "modern fiction" in books, then filtered by just "Greek" (not "Ancient Greek".)

R.
==

I hadn't even realized you could filter by language. I just tried it right now and you are right, there are a few modern greek books available there. And it doesnt have to be Harry Potter, that was just one of the popular childrens' books that came to my head and I have read most of it in Spanish before and found it to be decently translated.

Rincewind
Tetraglot
Brazil
Joined 4511 days ago

19 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Russian

Message 11 of 12
01 March 2012 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
Rincewind wrote:
Publishing companies are either hiring the lowest paid translators or they're doing it themselves via Google Translate.

Please give me one example for the latter, so that I can have a look. Have things come so far, already?
(Most bestsellers are bad books before the translation, and when translated they may become slightly worse. I mean, how can you do harm to a Dan Brown book, e.g.? I think a great share of the Brazilian market are pseudo-religion and sensational esoteric stuff, nothing to lose here, either. Well, ok, when I come to think about it, these books are also a major percentage of the German market, and I cannot give an opinion about the quality of these translations. But just to add a little more substance: I have read John Updike in German, and the translations of the rabbit series are wonderful, everybody can read these books in German and will learn a lot about the beauty of the - German language. That's one example why I don't like these general warnings about translations.)

I'll have to look for examples when I get home, but I have seen plenty of mistakes, and I've learned to avoid certain publishers who are crearly into it just to make as much money with as little investment as possible.

I don't read bestsellers, pseudo-religious or sensational esoteric stuff, though, so I can't comment on those.

I didn't say that others should avoid translations, though, I said that I avoid them, and that in my opinion one's much better off reading something written originally in the target language, which I still think is a good thing, even if translations are overall excellent in your target language.

gee
Diglot
Greece
Joined 4396 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Italian, Danish, French

Message 12 of 12
29 May 2012 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
For free e-books check this address out. Scroll down a bit and you'll find a lot of sites and material.
http://genia700euro.pblogs.gr/2010/06/646881.html

If you're looking for the real thing, here's an online bookstore that covers pretty much everything about greek literature (even translated in greek foreign literature) and the prices compared to similar greek sites is better.
http://www.politeianet.gr/

And some works of one of my personal favourite Greek authors Penelope Delta (Πηνελόπη Δέλτα). These here are supposed to be children's books (easy for someone not fluent in the language) but adults can definetely enjoy reading them, you have my word! I would definetely recommend starting from here, you won't regret it.

Edited by gee on 29 May 2012 at 3:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version