tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Czech

Message 57 of 60
08 January 2014 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
I worked on grammar exercises today, the plural form of nouns, and it was torturous and terrible. Bleh. I am awful at
producing declensions, so of course I avoid dealing with it, with predictable results! ;-)
However, I was saved from complete confusion thanks to Czech: An Essential Grammar, by James Naughton.
This is a wonderful book, but I keep forgetting to use it. Usually when I have some question, I try to find the material
in New Czech Step by Step, which is a decent textbook for learning the material, but a terrible reference guide.
So, I think I'll spend some more time going over the noun declension material in the Naughton book.
1 person has voted this message useful

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 

Message 58 of 60
21 January 2014 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm 15 days into the Add1Challenge, and so far I have done my required hour every single day. Of course,
sometimes I do more than an hour, and other times I'm watching the clock count down the seconds until I can
finish. I've never before done 1 hour of Czech consistently for this many days, and I really am seeing what a
difference commitment and consistency make. I'm going to try my hardest to complete this challenge and do 1 hour
for 90 days. I am very curious to see what my Czech will be like at that time.
This past week, I spent most of my time doing textbook work with New Czech Step by Step. I'm up to Chapter
16, so for the first time ever, the end of this book is in sight! This is definitely a result of consistent Czech time
every day. I generally dislike textbooks, so usually can only stand to work from them for a few days before I get
bored and veer off into more interesting material, like reading children's books. Consequently, it's taken me 2 years
to get this far in the textbook. Because of that lengthy time frame, I plan to go back through and review the
grammatical material in each chapter, before I move on to anything else.

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 

Message 59 of 60
24 January 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
It finally dawned on me why I dislike New Czech Step by Step so much: it's just not a suitable book for self-
teaching. Which is fine, except I feel like that should be stated clearly on the cover of the book, "Intended for use
with a teacher or in a course".
Here's an example of why this book doesn't work without a teacher. I just finished Chapter 17, which is 8 pages of
material. Apart from the explanatory material (which is mostly grammatical tables), there are 13 exercises to
complete, yet there are answers available for only 4 of the exercises. That's crazy! Without a teacher (or language
helper), most of the material is useless because you can't even check your answers. So while I think this textbook
may work quite well in a classroom environment (and it actually is the textbook my teachers used in class), it just
can't be the primary course material if you're teaching yourself Czech at home. It simply has to be used in
conjunction with another course, perhaps Teach Yourself Czech or Colloquial Czech.
Anyway, I feel relieved now that I finally figured out why this book bothers me so much, despite its high
recommendations from many sources. I will finish it, especially now that I am so near the end, but I will definitely
supplement the material with other textbooks.

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 

Message 60 of 60
28 February 2014 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Wow! I can't believe it's been over a month since I've updated. February has just flown by.
Here's my one month video update on the Add1Challenge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9DBmXy6KXk

The first month of the challenge I was really enthusiastic and had no problem doing one hour per day. This second
month has been harder. I've missed about 3 days total, which isn't bad. Even when I didn't manage a full hour on
those days, I still did some Czech, which is the whole reason I decided to do this challenge, for consistency.

I've cancelled my language exchange the last couple of weeks. Partly, it's because of being busy with work and
home, and partly I was just getting too frustrated trying to speak for 30 minutes twice a week in Czech. It didn't feel
like I was really retaining much from the sessions, so it doesn't seem like the best use of time right now. So I've
decided to concentrate on more input, and return to the output later on. I think I may also try Skype tutoring rather
than language exchange; more structured conversation would be helpful at this point.

I've been going to the local library every couple of weeks, grabbing children's books and comics. Recently, I've been
listening to the audio book of Kvak a Žbluňk jsou kamarádi while looking at the paper book. It's really at the perfect
level for me right now, for bedtime, when my brain is already fried from the day. I don't understand everything, but I
understand most of it, and can infer most of the unknown words from context. So I'm going to look for more books
in the Kvak a Žbluňk series, and more books in the "první čtení" series from Albatros books.

I've also discovered a Czech dub of an English language cartoon, Prasatko Pepa, on YouTube. These are great videos
for beginning language learning because they are very short, about 5 minutes, and the storyline and dialogues are
very simple and clear, with the key words and phrases repeated many times during each episode.

So, while I'm definitely in somewhat of a slump with my enthusiasm, I'm still learning and doing a fair amount with
Czech, thanks to the 1 hour commitment in the Add1Challenge. This Challenge has been a great help to me. :-)

Edited by tajosto on 28 February 2014 at 4:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version