Triglot
Poland
Joined 4439 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 9 of 40
10 March 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Here is the link to the essay I mentioned in the original post: http://zireael07.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/language-acquisiti on-in-the-case-of-hearing-impaired/
3 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4439 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 10 of 40
21 March 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Another issue: do you perceive accent and/or metre (metre as in lyrical metre)?
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 11 of 40
21 March 2012 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Another issue: do you perceive accent and/or metre (metre as in lyrical metre)?

I don't know if the question was addressed to me specifically... but yes, I do. Actually, I'm very perceptive in that regard and tend to do really well with accents. I've often wondered if not hearing well had made me pay particularly close attention to sounds. Or if having to rely on lips or body movement had forced me to notice intonation so I can better anticipate it?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mei190
United Kingdom
Joined 5128 days ago

29 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 40
21 March 2012 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
What Arekkusu wrote is as if I had written it myself. I read every part nodding. My noise cancelling headphones are one of my must-have pieces of equipment for language learning.

I however, was fairly lucky taking the JLPT last year. I was right in front of the speakers and luckily I managed to pass. Although I certainly didn't reach my true potential in that section (I missed quite a lot of what they said in the listening section). They do accomodate if you mention beforehand.

I also feel that not hearing properly has made me pay more attention to sounds, it definitely has made me notice intonation, no doubt about that one.

Edited by Mei190 on 21 March 2012 at 10:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4997 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 40
26 March 2012 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Zireael, It's an interesting area of research.   One of the references you cite in your paper/website
mentions Gallaudet University (in Washington, D.C.), but I'm not sure if you've followed up on that . If not, you
might wish to do so: it's the premier (well, only) institution of higher education for people who are deaf or
hard of hearing. Gallaudet
fast facts

Course listings include foreign languages, and students can major in Spanish. Other languages taught are
French, German, Italian, and Latin. See their course descriptions:
http://www.gallaudet.edu/Documents/Courses/Gallaudet-Undergr aduateCourses-2011-2012.pdf (Copy and
paste the URL, removing any extra spaces inserted by the forum software.)

As an example, French is listed on page 49:

FRE 111 Basic French I:

This is the first part of a two-semester course sequence. Intensive study of the principles of grammar and usage
of the language. Basic vocabulary building, reading, composition, and translation of elementary texts. A
contrastive grammar approach will be incorporated, drawing upon elements of English and ASL. Expressive use of
the target language will be supported by real-time conferencing software and/or simple fingerspelling-based
activities. While oral/aural skills are not normally taught, they may be incorporated optionally into the curriculum.
Students will also be exposed to aspects of the target culture(s), including information on the deaf community
abroad, where feasible. Four hours of classroom-based instruction will be supplemented by a required weekly
session in the department's Learning Laboratory.

FRE 150 Conversational French:

Study of the spoken language, using dialogues and corrective drills. Students who can use speech are expected
to do so, but speech skills are neither required for the course nor considered in grading.
(Emphasis mine.)

Prerequisites or Co-requisites: FRE 111

-----
Gallaudet also offers courses in French, Spanish and German culture, taught in French and Spanish-
speaking countries respectively, and in Germany. - But from the description, those seem to be more culturally-
oriented than linguistically so. (Though I think the French one includes something on French Sign Language.)

Hope this helps. Perhaps there may be Gallaudet student forums (the university does have a Facebook page)
where you could post further questions if you're continuing your research...? Or try seeing if some of the faculty
members teaching the language classes might be able to answer specific questions?

One quibble about your essay: you write "contrary to popular belief, deaf people are not stupid.."   While I
appreciate that you were well-intentioned (and yourself have a hearing impairment), a better phrasing would
have been, "contrary to what some people may believe..." . Here in Canada, I've never noticed a general or
widespread perception (ie, "popular belief") of deaf or hearing-impaired people as being less intelligent than
those with full hearing.    - The only situations I can't think of, are ones where children who had hearing
impairments from birth or a very young age were not diagnosed as being deaf/hearing impaired until later: but
in those cases, they were thought "slow" or "inattentive" in school because no one realized they were deaf;
not because they were known to be deaf, and therefore thought of as "stupid".

Edited by songlines on 26 March 2012 at 8:31pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4997 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 40
26 March 2012 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
And further to your questions:

Thank goodness for TV closed captions! CBC (French) has closed captions for many (Most? Certainly, all of the
documentaries and news/current affairs ones I watch, in English and French, do anyway) of its programmes, and
that really helps.   Unfortunately, those same programmes, when re-broadcast online, don't have captions. I
understand, from some publicity from TV Ontario, that it costs around $100 to add captions to each hour of TV
programming. - Am not sure why, if they already have the captions for the TV broadcast, broadcasters can't just
add them to the online podcasts. Would it be so much more expensive? Or technically difficult? - Might anyone
know?

In general, teachers and classmates have always been pretty accommodating when I explain my hearing
impairment, which I typically do at the beginning of any course, when we're doing the "introducing ourselves"
round. I might have to sometimes signal classmates to speak up during presentations, but that's not a biggie.
I've always sat at the front of classrooms, or - during meetings/presentations - sat next to or oriented my good
ear towards the quietest person in the group.

When studying French at the Institut Catholique de Paris (http://www.icp.fr/en/Faculties-Schools/Institut-de-
Langue-et-de-Culture-Francaises-ILCF/Institut-de-Langue-et-d e-Culture-Francaise-ILCF-Paris) (Copy and
paste, removing any extra spaces inserted by the forum software), teachers made an effort to provide transcripts
of any film/DVD segments if possible, or put on the closed captions if any. There were cases where neither were
available, but those situations weren't critical ones. Many of my classmates with full hearing were also very
grateful for any transcripts and captions!

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 15 of 40
26 March 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
Am not sure why, if they already have the captions for the TV broadcast, broadcasters can't just add them to the online podcasts. Would it be so much more expensive? Or technically difficult? - Might anyone know?

They might be copyrighted. Or else there might have been an agreement to allow subtitles, but only when the show is broadcast the conventional way or on specific formats. It's otherwise illegal, from what I understand, to add or remove subtitles from a show.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4997 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 40
26 March 2012 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
songlines wrote:
Am not sure why, if they already have the captions for the TV broadcast,
broadcasters can't just add them to the online podcasts. Would it be so much more expensive? Or technically
difficult? - Might anyone know?

They might be copyrighted. Or else there might have been an agreement to allow subtitles, but only when the show
is broadcast the conventional way or on specific formats. It's otherwise illegal, from what I understand, to add or
remove subtitles from a show.

Ah. Thanks for the info.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version