United Kingdom
Joined 4489 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 1 of 6
14 March 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, I haven't found anything using the search function.
Learning Korean, I'm looking forward to using the L-R technique, but I don't really know where I could find material to try that. However, today I stumbled upon a section from hanbooks.com which seems interesting: they have bilingual books, and some of them have CDs coming with it.

Her they are: http://www.hanbooks.com/boinenwkotr.html and I let you search for the word "cd" in the page, but some nice books are there: George Orwell's Animal Farm, Poe, and other things I don't know of.

Has anyone bought any of these books (apparently all published by the same company)? Could you give a brief review of the quality of these translations (are they 1 page / 1 page? mixed lines?) and their suitability for L-R?

Thanks in advance.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5346 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 2 of 6
14 March 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
FYI: I've emailed Hanbooks previously about those and confirmed that all the ones with audio CDs have the audio in English. The books they sell were actually originally designed for Koreans learning English rather than the other way around.

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from using them the other way around, though. In fact, I did so with The Little Prince (http://www.hanbooks.com/littleprince2.html) previously and plan to buy more of the bilingual books in that series that Sisa produces. You just have to keep in mind the slight catches that come from not being the intended target audience.

As for what *would* be good for L-R. Talk To Me In Korean has some audiobooks in their store which are very inexpensive and include the audio, Korean text, and English translation. They aren't as long as a full fledged novel, of course, but otherwise they should be ideal for this type of study: http://mykoreanstore.myshopify.com/collections/korean-audiob ooks

Edited by Warp3 on 14 March 2012 at 10:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4489 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 3 of 6
14 March 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, in fact I'm not a great fan of parallel texts, but I wanted to give a shot to the L-R technique. If the audio is in English, then it's not very useful to me.

I was indeed surprised to find some Korean audiobooks in such a format!

Thanks for the information.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5577 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 6
14 March 2012 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Streaming Korean audiobooks. The ones I tried weren't exact matches to the books I could find though, and the quality isn't that great.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5346 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 5 of 6
15 March 2012 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Streaming Korean audiobooks. The ones I tried weren't exact matches to the books I could find though, and the quality isn't that great.

That looks quite useful (especially since Korean audiobooks seem to be such a rarity in general). I'll have to try listening to 어린왕자 and see how it compares to my 어린왕자/Little Prince bilingual book. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a download option, though, as I'd much prefer to put them on my MP3 player and listen during my commute rather than sit at a computer streaming them.

Edited by Warp3 on 15 March 2012 at 2:00am

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4679 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 6 of 6
15 March 2012 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
The site with free audiobooks is great! I have a Korean copy of The Little Prince an I'll try out L-R with that. I don't quite understand why Koreans seem to like audio books with music in the background so much, but oh well...

The only sources I use for listening-reading in Korean are the Iyagi series from TTMIK (podcasts with transcripts) and the Junior Naver children's book videos, many of which come with Korean subtitles. Not useful if you want to use them offline or if you don't watch the videos.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version