Joined 4806 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 28
23 March 2012 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
asad100101 wrote:
@napoleon - out of the box suggestion there. So what I will do is:

Turn on any TV programme in my native language let's say a drama (because dialogs are spoken at a slow pace.)

Then , I will do the translation of each dialogue in my mind as quickly possible as I can. Should I make sure that I speak them out loud as well?

IMHO speaking aloud should be a better choice.
If you really want to challenge yourself try to translate the fast-paced news bulletins and the debates that are held on the news channels.

Edited by napoleon on 23 March 2012 at 3:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4806 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 28
23 March 2012 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
asad100101 wrote:

Also, perhaps, my strong accent might be an impediment to a successful conversation.

If you are conscious about your accent, you might want to do some accent reduction courses.
Cambridge University Press has published an excellent series called 'English Pronunciation in Use.'
Frankly speaking, they are the only affordable books of their type available in the subcontinent.
The series comprises of three books and their accompanying audio CDs. It focusses on British Received Pronunciation.
You may also be interested in the 'English Pronunciation Dictionary' by Daniel Jones. It lists both the general-american and the british(rp) pronunciation in IPA(International Phonetic Alphabet) for each entry.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5556 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 28
23 March 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
asad100101 wrote:
All of the aforementioned suggestions have one thing in common and that is devoid of pressure situations.

And that's your solution. Create situations where you don't feel pressured.
What helps me is talking to people who do not speak German (or English) because then their language is the only way we can communicate, and I forget about my inhibitions. I personally find it also easier to talk to children or the elderly: as long as I'm entertaining to them, I don't feel like I'm waisting their time like I do with working adults.
Otherwise, make friends that speak your target language, and don't force yourself to speak it from the start. You'll be able to contribute to their conversations once you feel more at ease around them and get a general feeling for the pace and mood of their conversations.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6229 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 28
23 March 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
I'd recommend Arekkusu's self-talk method: it is useful at your level. Try to express yourself spontaneously in English.

Your accent is unlikely to be an impediment, unless it's very strong. There are plenty of accent courses if you do want to use them, though. "Get rid of your accent" is another OK one for RP.

RP tends to be clearly enunciated; other British accents don't. Similarly, you can find clearly-enunciated American speech if you want to. Going for whichever you want to - but American would probably be easier as you listen to it more.

2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5052 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 13 of 28
23 March 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
I must differ in opinion in saying that I think, in order to improve your conversational ability, you need to place yourself under more pressure not less. You've been at this for several years now. Try to consciously put yourself in situations where you will be forced to speak- whether that be in person or on-line.

I know that you will feel more "comfortable" doing exercises, but doing more of the same expecting a different result is not going to help. If you really want to get better at conversation you need to force yourself outside your comfort zone soon and converse. You need to be uncomfortable first in order to get more comfortable later. It will be painful at first, but the more you do it the better you will get. It worked for me in Portuguese.

I know that is not what you may want to hear, but I sincerely believe it will be what will help you to improve. Good luck.

Edited by iguanamon on 23 March 2012 at 4:14pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

asad100101
Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6245 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 14 of 28
23 March 2012 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
@ Volte

I bought Anne Cook's Accent reduction book a couple of years ago because I was inclined towards American English. I still have it. I went through the excercises I do not know if it had helped me much. Self-study has a downside to it, I mean, you are not fully sure if you are doing the drills listed in the book to a T.

I will give Arekkusu's self-talk method a read in a bit. Thanks for sharing the link.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 28
23 March 2012 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
If possible, speak English via skype! Might be easier to talk to non-natives first.

Though I didn't do that when I was in a similar situation with Finnish. I was fluent in writing but speaking was more difficult. I spoke to myself, did shadowing, posted a recording of my pronunciation here and in general asked people for feedback (it was positive so it gave me more confidence<3)... When travelling I used only Finnish, another confidence booster.

Now it's actually my desirable situation in languages: in all but German and Polish I aim for written fluency first. Note that for me this means being able to write without consulting the grammar books. (dictionaries and google are fine) If you write better than you speak because you need time to make sure your grammar is correct, work on your grammar. For me, once I've reached this level, going for spoken fluency from there is quite easy. I'm not going to Italy or Portugal anytime soon so this can wait.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 16 of 28
23 March 2012 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
The first thing that strikes me is that you don’t seem to have a clear picture of what part of your production makes people ask you to repeat yourself and this is important. Let look at various scenarios.

If you severely lack fluency, then it’s possible that shadowing might help. I’m not a fan of shadowing as a learning technique, but it can be a valuable tool for a person who has never felt fluency or uttered anything seamlessly. By copying and learning by heart a few sentences, you can feel what fluency is like and build on that to improve further. You don’t have to do it a lot, just enough to get that feeling. Find something fun like a fast-paced song you enjoy and that was always a challenge, or a movie scene you like. Make sure you can say the sentences naturally and without hesitation from beginning to end.

I also recommend you read English out loud from now on. If you stutter or hesitate mid-sentence, start over. It’ll make reading slower, but it’s a good habit that will help you build some automatic reflexes when stringing words and sounds together. My gut feeling is that, in the long run, this is a lot more efficient than any kind of shadowing, but you’ll have to make sure you look up the pronunciation of any word you aren’t sure about -- in contrast, shadowing gives you the right pronunciation, but it doesn't force you to make decisions when you produce language, and that process is very important. Don’t worry too much about mistakes – the goal for now is fluency, not perfection.

If however you can sometimes make nice sentences and you feel the shadowing thing is useless, then self-talk is indeed a great idea. You are right though, unlike real live encounters, it’s stress-free, but you can work on improving in a stress-free environment before you tackle the real thing. Besides, if you do a good job of planning ahead your interactions, they won’t be so stressful anyway. Still, I get your point and I too like to push myself into stressful, do-or-die speaking opportunities… but frankly, if you craved that kind of thing, you’d have been doing lots of it for a long time already and you wouldn’t be writing to us, would you?

If your problem is pronunciation per se, then it’s a more complicated problem to solve. You have likely created very strong habits over those 9 years and changing them will require a lot of hard work, but you can definitely work on being easier to understand. However, it’s important that you get a clear picture of what you need to work on, or you won’t be able to fix your issues. For that, I recommend a language partner or a tutor, a native speaker you can practice on and who will be able to tell you when you’re understood and when you aren’t. Speaking with a native speaker might also give you a bit of that stress edge you were looking for. Focus on oral production only with that person and find out what part of your current speech is hard to understand: is it the rhythm, the pronunciation of certain sounds, the intonation? Take precise notes, record your meetings and analyze where you were asked to repeat yourself. Pinpoint where the issues are. If money is a problem, at least try to meet someone occasionally and identify the issues!

Lastly, if you don’t have a clear understanding of your own pronunciation in your native language, it might be a good idea to start paying attention to that. When you understand what you’re doing when making those sounds, you might also realize how the English sounds differ, making it easier for you control these differences.

Edited by Arekkusu on 23 March 2012 at 5:18pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version