Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6245 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 17 of 28
24 March 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
@Arek....well-detailed reply. I really appreciate your help.
1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4999 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 28
24 March 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
asad100101 wrote:
@napoleon - out of the box suggestion there. So what I will do is:

Turn on any TV programme in my native language let's say a drama (because dialogs are spoken at a slow pace.)

Then , I will do the translation of each dialogue in my mind as quickly possible as I can. Should I make sure that I
speak them out loud as well?

IMHO speaking aloud should be a better choice.
If you really want to challenge yourself try to translate the fast-paced news bulletins and the debates that are
held on the news channels.

Napoleon, that's a creative strategy indeed. I've tried it a bit, and offer a word of advice to anyone attempting
the same, especially with news broadcasts and speeches: Keep in mind you're simulating something conference
interpreters do after intensive and specialized training. And even they typically interpret from their L2 to
their L1. So scale down your expectations of yourself, and don't be discouraged if you find yourself scrambling
for vocab, the thread of the sentence, etc.

One early training exercise that I understand interpreters do is to listen to material in their native language, and
repeat it, half a beat behind, in the same language (that is, not interpreting; just repeating).   Assuming
you're using an extensive piece (that is, something like a formal speech; not short snippets of "tourist" level
dialogues), you'll find it surprisingly difficult.   Even doing that is quite a skill - and trying it will give you
some sense of how much trickier it will be to do so from your L1 to your L2.

But it definitely does force you to "think on your feet"!

Edited by songlines on 24 March 2012 at 4:10pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4999 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 28
24 March 2012 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Asad, there's also a recent thread on "Self-teaching speaking ability". Please copy and paste the URL,
removing any spaces inserted by the forum software:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=31325&PN=1&TPN=2#362486

There are quite a number of useful tips there. - And I'll be ordering the book that Splog recommends!
2 persons have voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4655 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 28
24 March 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
napoleon wrote:
asad100101 wrote:
@napoleon - out of the box suggestion there. So what I will do is:

Turn on any TV programme in my native language let's say a drama (because dialogs are spoken at a slow pace.)

---

IMHO speaking aloud should be a better choice.
If you really want to challenge yourself try to translate the fast-paced news bulletins and the debates that are
held on the news channels.

Napoleon, that's a creative strategy indeed. I've tried it a bit, and offer a word of advice to anyone attempting
the same, especially with news broadcasts and speeches: Keep in mind you're simulating something conference
interpreters do after intensive and specialized training.

What works for me is to put the audio on my mp3 player and keep one finger on the pause button. I play a single sentence in English (my L1) then hit pause and repeat the sentence in Spanish (my TL). I can take as much time as I like because the audio is paused. I think it's more important to experience the success of getting it done than to feel constant frustration and failure from not being able to keep up. As time goes on you find you have to pause for shorter and shorter amounts of time.

Another way might be to record pauses between each sentence in the mp3 track (using something like audacity), although I haven't tried that way. I suppose you could even record your own native language sentences to translate into your TL, and include the pauses as you record them. You do want to keep the pauses short so you have a limited time to get the sentence spoken, otherwise there's no challenge. It's about finding the balance between pushing yourself enough to make progress but not so hard as to cause nothing but frustration.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4692 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 21 of 28
26 March 2012 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Submit yourself to the fire and just do it! You may not speak English, but you
know English after 9 long years of dealing with it.

Meet with someone (there's got to be a great number of English speakers in Paki) or a
group and commit to speaking English. Get a Skype partner and trade Urdu/English.
Watch tv in English and listen for phrases, write them down, and then look up what they
mean. If you don't know what it means "jump the gun" sounds very odd until you get the
back story.

I consider myself to be fluent in Spanish, and understand and can produce pretty much
anything I want. I still have moments when I struggle, or lack a simple word. You
find out ways to get around it.

Get a tiny notebook to write words you don't know, and write them down as soon as you
realize you dont know them. I do this and I put down both Spanish and English words,
then look them up later. It really helps - I remember them quite well. For example,
faucet I never could remember, and I could never remember what la fuga was, but now I
know and won't forget that they are grifo and escape. It's oddly effective! I like it
better than outright studying vocab lists, and it helps in conversation.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 28
26 March 2012 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Ultimately you can only do things by doing them - which means that you need to have conversations to learn to survive them. But selftalk is a fair preparation for it, and if you don't like doing it in public then silent thinking is also something that points in the right direction. However I know frem several concrete cases that it is possible to walk around thinking continuously in a language and when you then try so speak things fall apart. It is like a three-step process: accept being disturbed by the language (thinking), accept being disturbed by your own body (speaking) and finally learn to survive being disturbed by the presence of people .. and then you are ready for conversations. At least that's how I see the world.

Without too much order I would like to use a few concrete techniques. Napoleon suggested trying to translate news bulletins and debates from the news channels. He didn't specificy whether these broadcasts should be in the learner's native language, and actually I first remember using this technique from an evening in Barcelona where I was lying on a hotelbed listening to Spanish news while translating them into Catalan in my mind, It is important to remember that you don't do this to demonstrate that you can produce correct speech - you do it to learn to keep pace with a fast train thundering ahead with you running behind it, it is the extensive speech training par excellence. I actually doubt that I could do it even today if I had to speak aloud, but my thoughts are faster than my speech. Transferring this exercise to speech takes training.

Another technique I have used is to 'double' all my conversations in a language in the local language - again without caring too much about correctness. I used first this technique during my second visit to Island. During the first one long ago I just 'read' a number of texts, or rather I guessed their meanings based on shared vocabulary and context. The second time around I had studied enough to have simple 'tourist' conversations - for instance I remember that I asked for an hour's use of a PC at the tourist information in Icelandic (which clearly surprised the lady in charge). But each time I had conversations in Danish or English I translated answers and questions into broken Icelandic, and it was surprisingly easy. Unfortunately I haven't spoken a word of Icelandic since then, so it would probably take me a couple of days do get back into the habit. There is a clear difference between being able to write in a language and speaking it in a fluent manner, and thinking silently is somewhere in the middle of these two..

Edited by Iversen on 27 March 2012 at 12:35pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4491 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 23 of 28
26 March 2012 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
If you're still following this thread without having had a conversation in English, you've been wasting time.
Could have had 5 convos already, enabling you to break free from your mental block, artificially reinforced by discussing it here.

9 years!
I chatted on Twitter and Facebook when I was done with Pimsleur, in really pathetic Japanese, using Rômaji, because I couldn't even read the Hiragana.
I had not even 1 year of studies under my belt when I engaged in conversations on Skype. I was so hyper-nervous, I stumbled over simple words, blacked out when I tried to say things in sentences longer than 3 words.
But I survived!

And this was Japanese, a language totally alien. I've exposed myself in an embarrassing way, with lacking skills, to a world of people. Before everyone's eyes, I made a fool of myself.

Guess what, I made a lot of friends that way. And even more than that, I met the woman I intend to be with until the end of my life.

Do it already. Click the damn X on the upper right corner of your browser window!
7 persons have voted this message useful

asad100101
Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6245 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 24 of 28
27 March 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for all your useful comments and tips. They are really helpful. Also, taking a small action is key to success than taking a giant leap. I'll incorporate all of these positive steps one at a time and then wait and see what happens next.

I do talk in English with my 6 year old nephew( born and raised in Dallas) over skype but that 5-10 min convo happens once/twice per month depending on the mood swings of my nephew. He is pretty fluent. However, our conversations are always restricted to day to day stuff. But one thing I really like about talking with kids is, they speak slowly and clearly and not judgmental. If he does not understand a word or a sentence, he does not go like this " you speak like shit, I'm going to hang up." instead he speaks the sentence such as "what you are saying". etc

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version