Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4854 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 57 of 60
21 January 2013 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
LaughingChimp wrote:

I'm not sure about Slovak, but it's definitely the opposite in Czech. (IronFista vidí
Chung = It's Chung who sees IronFist;Chunga vidí IronFist = It's Ironfist who sees Chung)
And neither is in passive voice. (but yes, the sentences could be probably better
translated to English as passive: Ironfist is seen by Chung; Chung is seen by IronFist)

That's what I was talking about. In Russian it is like in Czech if we pronounce the
sentence with a neutral intonation, but the first element might be emphasized, but the
sentence will sound emotional then.
1 person has voted this message useful

yuehan
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4176 days ago

12 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Greek, French, Indonesian, Haitian Creole, Modern Hebrew, Somali, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 58 of 60
21 January 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
I cannot have very deep and complicated conversations with my Chinese friend, because
while he can understand what I say in English, I cannot understand his Chinese well
enough for him to articulate complicated ideas. If I learn even a little bit more Chinese
that would be worth it.

Same is true for anyone who does not speak C1-C2 level English.
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4156 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 59 of 60
22 January 2013 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:

Therefore I think it makes sense to do a list of things you cannot do with English, to motivate people to learn languages other than English, and to show that it's worth it.

It depends on the person you would try to motivate. If they love the movies, art, poetry, travel, a particular field of science etc. That's why we all learn different languages, acording to our own interests (and tastes). I don't believe that the use of exotic grammar is a good enough reason, nor self expression as such, because most people feel at home in their native language. Which for many of us in not English. So we learn English because it is a lingua franca, but then we go ahead and learn more languages.
I think that learning any new language educates you and enriches your life to an amazing extend, even if you never visit that country. Isn't that a good enough reason?

Rykketid
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4631 days ago

88 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: French

Message 60 of 60
30 January 2013 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Watching subtitled or dubbed things will never be like watching it in the original
language, reading translated books will never be like reading it in their original
language. There will always be translation losses. For example, when I started watching
American series in English, I found out that there were many puns and jokes that in
Italian would just sound goofy and clunky.

As for relationships and friendships between people from different countries, it really
depends on the proficiency of English the two people have. If it is fairly high, then
probably a good friendship may be established, also considering the fact that human
rapports are not based solely on linguistic communication.

To answer your question on a lighter note: if you study Italian, you'll realise that
there are infinitely more ways to be blasphemous than there are in English :-P

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version