Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5181 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 210 of 336
08 January 2014 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
Was sick all weekend and had to stay home yesterday. I thought I got in a lot of listening over the weekend but that's nothing compared to this (ugh that's all cut off for some reason. A total of 9:06 hours total French exposure, 6:39 listening, 1:01 reading, 0:45 vocab, 0:41 writing):

A few hours of listening to podcasts in the background at work and during my commute makes a big difference. Not only do I end up logging a lot of exposure time that way, but it gives me momentum to continue at home watching videos on Canal+ and browsing articles in French (enjoying the whole polémique over the Newsweek article on France).

Speaking of videos on Canal+, if you're interested in seeing what French television has to offer (in terms of news, reality shows, game shows, documentaries, etc), I suggest watching Zapping to give you a good orientation as to what's out there. Zapping, as well as all the other shows, currently has their year-end specials posted which makes it a good time to check them out. If you're still somewhat new to native material, don't be discouraged if you don't understand everything (or anything) in the Zapping clips. It takes a while for your ear to be able to adapt to completely changing between speakers and contexts so rapidly so if you're not used to native material it can be even more difficult. But it can give you an idea of shows to check out on YouTube or wherever after.

Edited by sctroyenne on 08 January 2014 at 8:38am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3797 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 211 of 336
08 January 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
Speaking of videos on Canal+, if you're interested in seeing what French television
has to offer (in terms of news, reality shows, game shows, documentaries, etc), I suggest watching
Zapping
to give you a good orientation as to what's out there. Zapping, as well as all the other shows, currently has
their year-end specials posted which makes it a good time to check them out. If you're still somewhat new to
native material, don't be discouraged if you don't understand everything (or anything) in the Zapping clips. It
takes a while for your ear to be able to adapt to completely changing between speakers and contexts so
rapidly so if you're not used to native material it can be even more difficult. But it can give you an idea of
shows to check out on YouTube or wherever after.

Thank you very much for sharing this resource!!! I've enjoyed reading through your log, and could only hope
that one day my French will reach your level! Look forward to being a Triomphe teammate with you, and to
both of us reaching our goals!
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5181 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 212 of 336
09 January 2014 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
And speaking again of Zapping, the second part of the link I shared is particularly well-edited - you ought to be able to catch quite a bit of not-so-hidden commentary. Though if you're especially sensitive to becoming enraged when the topic of corruption is explored or the news tends to make you horribly pessimistic, watch with care.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5181 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 213 of 336
10 January 2014 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
So it looks like I may be seriously considering getting private tutoring sessions at one
of my local Alliances Fraçaises. The rates are fairly competitive with both other private
tutors and with their own classes (you pay more per hour, of course, but not by a lot and
you can clearly see the value of individual attention). They also only require you to buy
5 hours worth at a time instead of 10 like at others which makes it more flexible for me
to complement my individual study. It could be just the thing I need to put me on the
path towards the DALF and to analyze weak spots in my current skills and methods so I
continue to make progress rather than stagnate.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5181 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 214 of 336
14 January 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
I finally got my package from Ireland! I now have the Aifric DVD and the QuickGuide for
Irish Grammar. Though let me show you how "quick" it is.

Let me just unfurl my QuickGuide to look up if I need a séimhiú here...

This is front and back and isn't lying flat just so I can fit it in. So there's quite a
bit of detail to pack in but it is good to have all the tables handy.

I was quite sad to discover that the Aifric DVDs don't have all the episodes (not even
close), only 6. I'm not sure if they're the first 6 episodes or randomly selected (I
think they're randomly selected - the later title sequence is used on one of the
episodes. On the one hand I'm excited because I can watch an episode on repeat ad
nausuem. On the other hand, I really wanted all the episodes, especially so that I
don't have to rely on TG4 to update them. There aren't even illicit ways to get them :(

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3835 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 215 of 336
14 January 2014 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Wow, thanks for the heads up about the Aifric DVD...I'll stick to watching them on TG4!

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5181 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 216 of 336
16 January 2014 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
I went for a private French lesson at the Alliance Française last night! It looks like
that's the best way to go as the teacher said that my level is too high for the classes
they have available and I would get bored. I think it is a good value as there really
isn't any wasted time and it all gets tailored to my needs. I think for the sake of
budget and so I don't get too stressed with the work I'll go every two weeks as long as
that schedule isn't annoying for the teacher (unless they get a few more advanced
students with similar schedules).

I'll be working from articles and oral documents to develop my argumentative skills. It
was funny, as she was looking at my books she'd look at the authors and say, "I know
her!" and "She was my professor!" She first came to the US as a French teacher at the
Defense Language Institue in Monterey so that makes me pretty confident that she knows
how to get a student to level up.

She suggested that I watch the Journal Télévisé de 20h or 13h every day to get used to
the rapid-fire subjects. She recommended the app FranceTV Info which has content from
France 2 and France 3. Also, as was recommended to me by someone who passed the DALF
C2, I should be reading the opinion sections of the newspaper (such as the "Idées"
section in Le Monde's app/website) as well as to go through the different sections
(Science, Société, Culture, etc) so I get a broader vocabulary.

As for Amazon.fr sales, I've been trying all kinds of combinations of items in my cart
but for some reason it won't take the 50 off 100 promo code. I emailed customer service
and they said to go ahead and put the order through then email them again to have the
discount applied. But that sounds a bit risky. Plus, it may be best to just save my
money for lessons. We'll see.

This discussion contains 336 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version