86 messages over 11 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 73 of 86
01 February 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
And don't forget to mention Danish either, even if you only understand it in writing :)
With all the connections between Germany and Scandinavia, it's very likely that an employer who needs N/S/D speakers has already heard of this phenomenon.
1 person has voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4433 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 74 of 86
12 February 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
I'd guess I'd mention a language on my CV if:
1) it was asked for
2) my level was B2 or higher
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hyrax
Diglot
Kenya
Joined 4103 days ago

8 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Swahili, English
Studies: German, French

Message 75 of 86
10 March 2013 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
In my profession as tourist guide, speaking many languages is a big advantage. Languages are a priority on
the application for a job in my profession. The most useful languages are the ones spoken by the visitors to
the region.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gomorritis
Tetraglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4060 days ago

91 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Catalan, French
Studies: Greek, German, Dutch

Message 76 of 86
29 March 2013 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
If you want to apply for a job in Spain, you should just write a few languages that they might consider important. If
you list 10 languages, they will just think you are a weirdo and not hire you, cause in Spain any knowledge outside
your field of work is usually not well seen. For employers in Spain, the perfect employee is someone who knows a
lot about his job but is a complete ignorant in any other issue. Don't list any hobbies either (as it's common in CV's
in Northern Europe), just show you are a hard worker and easy to manipulate.

Edited by Gomorritis on 04 April 2013 at 10:55am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5008 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 77 of 86
30 March 2013 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Gomorritis wrote:
[...]in Spain any knowledge outside your field of work is usually not well seen. For employers in Spain, the perfect employee is [...] hard worker and easy to manipulate.

Oh, come on. That, real as it is, is not exclusive to Spain whatsoever. Someone in this forum (maybe even earlier in this very same thread) linked the both sad and hilarious article The Myth of the Well-Rounded Scientist.

From my point of view, I am a better me partly because I have somewhat diverse interests. If potential employers think otherwise, I am probably better off not working for them -- it sounds just like that widespread image about the soul-crashing corporate approach to employment is too true in such cases.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Gomorritis
Tetraglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4060 days ago

91 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Catalan, French
Studies: Greek, German, Dutch

Message 78 of 86
04 April 2013 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
I'm sure it's not exclusive to Spain, but I do think the chances of encountering such an employer in Spain are much
higher than most west-northern Europe.

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4036 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 79 of 86
11 April 2013 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
I'm in the International Politics field so languages are important, so I list mine, but
I'm honest about the level. So my last resume that I sent out said; "High level
Spanish, basic Arabic and Hebrew." Or something like that. I'm applying for au pair
positions to practice my Italian this summer and I have mentioned to a few families
that I only speak basic Italian, but I understand it fairly well with my Spanish
background (most want me to speak
English while working, so this isn't a problem for the job itself). They've been OK
with our Englishano conversations.

My current employer (international politics field) was really interested in the
Arabic/Hebrew combination, and told me that she had just gotten an email in Hebrew the
previous week. I told her very honestly I would definitely not have been at a high
enough level to translate more than a little of the email. She was OK with this, and I
did get the job.

So, I think you can include languages, but don't lie. Can you say basic things, or can
you really talk?

Edited by vogue on 11 April 2013 at 1:50pm

baskerville
Trilingual Triglot
Singapore
scribeorigins.com
Joined 4028 days ago

39 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: German*, Japanese
Studies: Hungarian

Message 80 of 86
07 June 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Here in my country, you can impress potential employers by putting in foreign languages
in your CV, even if they are not relevant to the job :P It's because they can see that
you persevere in something and you wish to excel at it.

In my CV, i put in all the languages I know and a short description of each regarding my
skill (for example, "business level proficiency", "lower intermediate conversation and
writing", etc)

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version