Triglot
Italy
Joined 5150 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 1 of 14
14 April 2012 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
As has been already discussed in other threads, in the past year Assimil has been updating some of its ‘sans peine’ courses. In the case of the Swedish course, this seems to be the first real update since 1986*, and I believe that after 25 years it was a reasonable choice to revise the text to keep the language fresh and current. Whether the result is a success or not it’s still to be seen (I haven’t got around to starting it properly yet), especially considering that on this forum the 1986 edition is often cited as one of the best of its generation (you can read more about the older edition here, here, here, and post 53 here).

*There have been several editions of Suédois sans peine but as the audio for all those editions has never changed, I must deduce they are basically the same.

I’ve had the luck to be able to borrow both the old and the new edition of Assimil Le Suédois (thank god for libraries!) and I’ve decided to post an overview of the two editions. Hopefully this will be of some use to those interested in learning Swedish with Assimil.

The first impression is that the new edition appears to offer a lighter workload (just by thumbing through the book the lessons looks noticeably shorter) and much less both in terms of audio (3 hours vs 4 ½ hours) and vocabulary covered (I’ve counted the lemmas in the glossary at the end of the book and they are about 2600 in the new edition vs 4200 in the old one). I believe that the length of audio and the richness of vocabulary offered by a course are not the only factors to consider when judging its quality, but the change seems to reflect the general trend, often lamented on this forum, of newer editions of a course to be less substantial than the previous ones even when claiming to take the learner to the same level of proficiency. If this apparent deterioration of the course is a drawback that particularly concerns you, and studying in German is a viable option, remember that at the moment the new edition is only available in French, whereas you can still buy the old one in German.

Finally, one question that is often asked about Assimil is whether it is possible to study a third language after only learning French through Assimil French Without Pain. I don’t pretend to know the answer, but I’d like to offer some observations to help you decide for yourself. First, some preliminary remarks: I had dabbled with French for a long time before tackling it seriously using Assimil sans peine; my native language is another romance language, so French is relatively easy for me; I’m not a beginner in Swedish. That said, I’ve noticed that at the moment it’s still much easier for me to understand the Swedish part of Le suédois and to work out the little I don’t understand on my own rather than referring to the French explanations. I’m not saying that learning a language through French after only studying French Without Pain is impossible, only that it’s much more difficult than one would hope.

Title: Le suédois sans peine
Author: Jean-François Battail
Year of first publication: 1986
Number of lessons: 100
Volumes: 2
Pages: 394 (Tome 1 Leçons 1-49) + 504 (Tome 2 Leçons 50-100)
Audio: 8 CDs = 4 CDs Svenska på lätt sätt 1 (up to lesson 49) + 4 CDs Svenska på lätt sätt 2
Length of audio: ca. 4h 30’
Vocabulary: approx. 4200 words
CEFR level: Tome 1= B1; Tome 2 = B2
Available in: French; German (as Schwedisch ohne Mühe and now available in one volume); and Dutch (as Zweeds zonder moeite only Tome 1 up to lesson 49)
Index:
Tome 1:
Préliminaires……….IV
Éléments de l’introduction enregistrés sur les cassettes
Introduction……….V à VII
Prononciation du suédois……….VIII à XX
Leçons 1 à 49……….1 à 235
Appendice grammatical……….236 à 269
Index grammatical……….270 à 275
Lexique……….276 à 392

Tome 2:
Introduction……….V à VII
Leçons 50 à 100……….1 à 337
Appendice grammatical……….340 à 373
Index grammatical……….376 à 381
Lexique……….384 à 498

Beginning of lesson 1:
Första lektionen - Hej!
- Hej, Eva!
- Hej, Michel! Hur mår du?
- Bra, tack. Och du?
- Tack, bra.

Beginning of lesson 50:
Femtionde lektionen - Allmän mobilisering
Mamma – Har ni glömt at vi har främmande i kväll? Skall huset vara i ordning måste alla hjälpa till.
Sonen – Men mamma, vi har gott om tid! Jag tittar färdigt och städar sen vardagsrummet.

Title: Le Suédois (Colletion Sans Peine) (French site)
Author: William Fovet
Year of first publication: 2011
Number of lessons: 100
Volumes: 1
Pages: 668
Audio: 4 CDs + 1 CD mp3 (same content but the audio is also divided into more than 2000 short files, one for each sentence, and you can visualize the text in your mp3 player)
Length of audio: ca. 3h
Vocabulary: approx. 2600
CEFR level: B2
Available in: French
Index:
Introduction……….VII
Une méthode déclinée en deux vagues……….XI
Les principaux sons du suédois……….XIII
Leçons 1-100……….1
Appendice grammatical……….483
Index grammatical……….513
Bibliographie……….517
Lexique des expressions et locutions suédois-français……….520
Lexiques……….532
Lexique suédois-français……….533
Lexique français-suèdois……….600

Beginning of lesson 1:
Första lektionen - Lotta har en fråga
- Hej Lotta!
- Hej fröken!
- Hur mår du idag?

Beginning of lesson 50:
Femtionde lektionen - Enkla råd från akutmottagningen
Mitt i natten ringer Ulrika till akuten.
- Hallå, mitt namn är Ulrika Knutsson, får jag tala med en läkare?
- Våra jourläkare är upptagna just nu. Du kan ringa igen om en timme, men jag kan kanske hjälpa dig, jag är sjuksköterska.

12 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5368 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 14
14 April 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
It strikes me that many of the changes in the recent Assimil revisions - the collection
sans peine editions - (looking at L'Allemand, Le Danois and Le Néerlandais) stems from an
attempt to make their courses conform to CEFR standards - that means that they focus more
on the themes like ordering food and booking a hotel rather than sentences like 'My
tailor is rich' or dialogues about homeless people in garages.   

1 person has voted this message useful

tennisfan
Triglot
United States
Joined 5163 days ago

130 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 3 of 14
15 April 2012 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
they focus more
on the themes like ordering food and booking a hotel rather than sentences like 'My

ha! which Assimil was this?

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5368 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 

Message 4 of 14
15 April 2012 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
Its in German With Ease

ikinaridango
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5928 days ago

61 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: German, Polish

Message 5 of 14
16 April 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
It strikes me that many of the changes in the recent Assimil revisions -
the collection
sans peine editions - (looking at L'Allemand, Le Danois and Le Néerlandais) stems from an
attempt to make their courses conform to CEFR standards - that means that they focus more

Have Assimil published a new Danish course? I've just had a look on their website and
could only find the old Le danois sans peine/Dänisch ohne Mühe course from 1992.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5368 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 

Message 6 of 14
16 April 2012 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
No, sorry, my mistake - it is the 1992 one. I was looking at my Assimils and as I have
Le Danois with the new cover sitting with L'Allemand and Le Neerlandais and
subconsciously linked it to the other two.

I personally think having slightly more user friendly lessons in Assimil is a good move -
a good number of people here, who are not hardcore polyglots, have complained that
Assimils are hard to get into - making things more friendly doesn't in my view mean
dumbing down.

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5064 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 7 of 14
16 May 2012 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
If this apparent deterioration of the course is a drawback that particularly concerns you, and studying in German is a viable option, remember that at the moment the new edition is only available in French, whereas you can still buy the old one in German.

Unfortunately the German course has also been changed. Originally Schwedisch ohne Mühe came out in two volumes, totaling about 900 pages, like the original French ones. About ten years ago they fused and condensed those two volumes into a new single one, 640 pages, apparently also including some minor revisions or updates of content. This is the edition in print in Germany now.

The associated audio CDs are now sold in two separate sets that together cost an incredible 175 EUR; I cannot imagine that the earlier cassettes came at such an extravagant price. On top of that the audio appears to be still the original one (don't know if this is true, I saw it mentioned somewere), in which case the CDs would include plenty of audio files that are no longer found in the book itself.

So what is available in Germany right now is a considerably shortened version of the old two-volume edition, but I do not know how it compares to the new Le Suédois except that it has about the same length.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5150 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 8 of 14
17 May 2012 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Kronos wrote:
[...] Originally Schwedisch ohne Mühe came out in two volumes, totaling about 900 pages, like the original French ones. About ten years ago they fused and condensed those two volumes into a new single one, 640 pages, apparently also including some minor revisions or updates of content. This is the edition in print in Germany now.

[...] the audio appears to be still the original one (don't know if this is true, I saw it mentioned somewere), in which case the CDs would include plenty of audio files that are no longer found in the book itself. [...]

As the book still contains 100 lessons and the audio used is the same, I actually thought that the only difference might be in the layout of the book. For instance, the two volumes have the same glossary at the back: if you publish just one volume you only need to print the glossary once and so you already save more than 100 pages.

I may be wrong, of course, so we need someone who actually has Schwedisch ohne Mühe in one volume to tell us if the content corresponds to the audio.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version