United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4478 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 9 of 80
23 April 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
Hour 0005: Watched fourth episode of French In Action, "Names And Origins." Spent
the remaining half hour reviewing lessons from LingQ, mostly by "blind" listening (no
text).
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 10 of 80
23 April 2012 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Hour 0006: Watched fifth episode of French In Action. Spent a half hour afterward
reading a new LingQ lesson (my second on the "Beginner 2" level). I don't understand all
of it yet, so I will work on it again during my next study session.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 11 of 80
27 April 2012 at 4:53am | IP Logged 
Hour 007: Went over most of my previous lessons at LingQ. I think I understand
pretty much everything in them now. Been slacking a bit with study the past few days,
though I have been watching a lot of movies in French (with subtitles). I think it is
helping me recognize some vocab in speech better.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 12 of 80
01 May 2012 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
Got in a good two hours today.

Hours 008 and 009: Added a few new lessons at LingQ and went over them, some from Beginner 1 and others from Beginner 2. I've noticed lately that I can recognize a lot more words and phrases in movies, especially in ones I have already seen (since I know the plot and can concentrate fully on the speech).

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 13 of 80
02 May 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Hour 010: Got in a good focused hour at LinqQ, roughly half of it reading over some new lessons and half of it testing myself on pure audio comprehension (no text) of old ones. Put a bunch of LinqQs into "known words."

I think in the future I may make weekly updates or something (with a summary of each hour I put in that week) rather than making a whole new post for every hour. That way the thread will be less enormous. :-P
2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 14 of 80
08 May 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
I haven't been logging much study time lately, due to some personal life "distractions" (good ones).

But I have still been doing French-related stuff, notably trying to read some topics in the "Français" forum here and watching French movies.

Just dropping a note to let everybody know I am still at it. :-)

Edited by tastyonions on 08 May 2012 at 11:44pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 15 of 80
11 May 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
In an effort to get myself a bit more disciplined, I think I will set a new weekly goal of 10 hours of study.

I often find myself wondering about the French equivalent of various common English expressions. I thought that one way to get started on this would be to watch some TV shows in my native English, but with French subtitles. Obviously I won't take the translations as gospel or anything, but I think it could be useful. I searched the forum and saw that someone linked to a paper finding that watching shows with "reverse subtitling" (show in L1 and subs in L2) can be a helpful learning tool, so I think I will try to do some of this.

Hour 011 (2 May 2012): Watched sixth episode of French In Action. Went over my new LingQ lessons for about fifteen minutes, after which LingQ went offline for some kind of update. Used the last fifteen minutes to review audio of old lessons.

Hour 012 (9 May 2012): Watched seventh episode of French In Action. Read and listened to the first three parts of a story on LingQ, then reviewed them with audio alone. Also checked out Français Facile from RFI and found it a bit advanced for me yet, but I think it should be a good resource once I improve some more.

Hour 013 (10 May 2012): Spent all sixty minutes on LingQ. Read and listened to parts 4-9 of the "Who Is She?" story, then reviewed the parts I have gone through so far. Can't quite catch everything with audio alone yet. I will review until I am there.

Hour 014 (11 May 2012): Watched eighth episode of French In Action. The FIA episodes are definitely getting tougher to understand now. I think I may hold off for the moment on watching any further. Spent the second half of the hour reviewing "Who Is She?" lessons on LingQ, and went through a new part (the 10th) a few times. The 10th part is longer and has more new vocab, so it should take more time than the others.

Edited by tastyonions on 11 May 2012 at 4:51pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 16 of 80
11 May 2012 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Looking back, I see that it has been exactly three weeks since I started this log. I definitely feel like my understanding has increased since then. I tried watching a TF1 news show today and while I can't say that I understood it in any detail, I definitely caught more than I was getting weeks ago. Maybe I will use news shows as a sort of periodic test of my progress in comprehension.

I'm still unsure about when I want to start serious practice speaking French. There seems to be so much controversy out there over whether early "output" is good, bad, neutral, or whatever. I say stuff to myself sometimes and repeat words and phrases after actors and people on TV, but I haven't made any systematic attempts to develop speaking skills yet.

Edited by tastyonions on 11 May 2012 at 5:05pm

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version