United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 73 of 80
16 December 2012 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
Couldn't sleep, so I figured why not start early today?

Lesson 68, "Le Corps Humain," this morning. It was mostly a review, since I had already been over a "body parts" lesson before in French In Action. It also reminded me of the expression "faire la tête," which I hadn't seen for a long time.

Man, I love some of the music they play on France Inter. Yesterday I found this one. I've made a few CDs worth of songs that I've discovered through their programs.
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 74 of 80
16 December 2012 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
The active phase lesson (19) went very smoothly this morning. I've decided that I really need to step up my game in terms of active vocabulary. Assimil's active phase is helping, but there are other things I could be doing. So in the lead up to TAC 2013, I will be focusing on L1 -> L2 vocab and sentence work, self-talk, writing in French on Lang-8, and asking questions about idioms here.

I'm also planning to buy a nicer webcam. Hopefully a couple of weeks of intensive active-oriented work will push me to a point where I am comfortable enough to open the new year with a video where I (try to) speak French without a script, which will provide a starting point for my TAC progress. :-P

Edited by tastyonions on 16 December 2012 at 7:00pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 75 of 80
16 December 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Is there a simple French translation of the English phrase "first-time _er?" As in phrases like "first-time swimmer," or "first-time listener?" Maybe "débutant" works sometimes. Linguee seems to come up with a lot of circumlocutions. I found this one amusing for some reason:

English: "Whether you're a Kirby fanatic or first-timer, you'll find plenty to keep you occupied in Kirby Super Star Ultra, only on Nintendo DS."

French: "Que vous soyez un fan de Kirby ou que vous découvriez seulement cette petite créature rose, vous ne manquerez pas d'activités dans Kirby Super Star Ultra, uniquement pour DS."

I think it might be the "cette petite créature rose." :-)

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 76 of 80
16 December 2012 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
I finally started using Anki today! In keeping with my new focus on active skills, I am doing the reviews entirely in the L1 -> L2 direction at the moment, using sentences from Assimil and phrases I have picked up in numerous places.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 77 of 80
17 December 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 69 today, "Le Corps Humain - suite et fin." Lots of new vocab:

se plire
le coude
le poignet
le genou
la cheville
se tenir debout
couché
le dos
assise
tourner le dos

"Pouce" was also one of the words introduced, but I already knew it from seeing the colloquial expressions "pouce rouge" and "pouce vert" on YouTube.

Added all of those to Anki and did the active phase for Lesson 20. Forgot the verb "revoir" somehow as I was translating, but it otherwise went very smoothly.

I'm not quite sure how I want to use Anki yet. Right now I have a big deck full of sentences, mostly from Assimil, and another with somewhat random idioms / constructions I have picked up everywhere. This morning I made a "grammar" deck, which I think I may use specifically for reviewing things like preposition use, verb conjugations, etc.

Edited by tastyonions on 17 December 2012 at 2:03pm

TexDeuce
United States
Joined 4462 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 78 of 80
03 February 2013 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
I am a basic beginner in French. Any tips? My first priority is to be able to understand what someone is saying in French.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 79 of 80
03 February 2013 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
TexDeuce wrote:
I am a basic beginner in French. Any tips? My first priority is to be able to understand what someone is saying in French.

I'd recommend Assimil's New French With Ease, which has helped me a lot. Since your goal is listening comprehension, I would place special focus on getting to a point where you don't need the transcripts to understand the audio.

A great way to check whether you're actually hearing *every* component of speech properly is to transcribe it yourself and then check your version against the one given by Assimil. Once you are far along in Assimil and can transcribe most of it with ease, you can also start doing this with harder material, like the interviews on this site.

Of course, your ability to transcribe properly will depend on your knowing the basics about how the French written form corresponds to its sounds, so make sure you learn about how things are supposed to be pronounced. Assimil gives some guidance, but it would be good to consult other sources as well. Many of these videos have helped me, and consulting Wiktionnaire pretty much every time I was unsure how to pronounce something has been a great tool. Becoming familiar with the phonological inventory of French and the relevant subset of IPA characters is very helpful.

In addition to Assimil and any other courses you try, I recommend listening to and watching at least some native materials from the very beginning, even if you start out with just a half hour news broadcast each day or something. This will get you accustomed to what full speed speech sounds like. Much of it will be close to incomprehensible at first, so don't try to go too hard at first and burn yourself out, but try to get in some of it each day. You'll gradually start to recognize more things.

You can also try English-subtitled movies (non-subtitled ones will be more or less pointless at first, but using them later can be helpful). I know some people find subtitles too distracting for it to be helpful, but I have managed to pick up at least some phrases and learned to recognize other things through subbed media. Also, as a segue into full strength native media, you might want to check out French In Action, a learner series that's entirely in French (from the second lesson onward).

Finally, once you are maybe half of the way through Assimil, I recommend getting a tutor on Skype through a site like iTalki. This will get you used to hearing a native speaker trying to communicate things directly to you in real time, and also just what it "feels" like actually speaking French to a native. Maybe it doesn't sound like a big deal, but for many people it can really intimidating; I know it can be for me.

Have fun!
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4139 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 80 of 80
28 January 2014 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
Ça va, mon ami? Il y à quelque temps que tu n'as pas écrit quelque chose. J'espère que tout va bien!

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version