Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Please help with my pronunciation(Korean)

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
Kevin Hsu
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4549 days ago

60 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English, Mandarin*, Korean
Studies: German

Message 1 of 4
27 April 2012 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
Hello,

Would anyone be kind enough to give me some pointers for my pronunciation so that it
can be more understandable? I didn't know what to talk about so it's just a minute long
self-introduction.

Thanks for any help in advance!

I uploaded it onto filesmelt because I can't embed it onto the post. Here's the link:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/recording1.mp3

Also here is the script if it makes it easier to follow:

안녕하세요 how to learn any language 온라인 포럼 여러분! 제 이름은 케빈이에요. 제가 한국어를 1
년쯤 동안 혼자로 배웠는데요. 학교에서 한국친구가 있는데, 가끔 점심시간에 우연히 만날 때 한국어에
대해서 도와주세요. 저하고 가죽하고 7년 전에 대만에서 캐나다에 왔어요. 캐나다에서 학교에 가니까 지
금 영어 잘 해요. 제가 한국어를 왜 공부하고 있냐고 무르시면, 이유는 한국어는 정말 재미있는 언어예
요. 그리고 제 생각에는 한국의 역사하고 문화가 정말 흥미로워요. 이 온라인 포럼에서 많은 언어 잘 할
수 있는 분들의 유용한 의견을 알아낼 수 있으니까 너무 감사합니다. 다른 할 수 있는 말 지금 생각할
수 없어서 이제 끝날 게요. 여러분 을어주셔서 감사합니다. 아녕히 계세요!

Thanks again for helping :)
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4679 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 2 of 4
28 April 2012 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
I recorded myself and thought I sounded horrible, so I also thought about getting some pronunciation tips here.
As you can see, I'm not very qualified to give you tips, but I'll point out a few things I noticed. There are some grammatical mistakes, but I guess that's beside the point. I noticed that you almost don't pronounce the ㄹ - it sounds like an English "r" - which made some of what you said difficult to understand. Your speech also sounded slurred in some other spots, especially the "다" of 캐나다. But overall I think you speak quite well. And you've only been studying for a year... Did you write down beforehand what you wanted to say? If you recorded all that spontaneously it's extremely impressive.

Edited by druckfehler on 28 April 2012 at 1:07am

Kevin Hsu
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4549 days ago

60 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English, Mandarin*, Korean
Studies: German

Message 3 of 4
28 April 2012 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
I had a draft in front of me. I still find spontaneous speech to be somewhat difficult
because of the word ordering (I don't have any trouble understanding it with the SOV
order, but it's a different story when speaking). I guess I should be practicing my self-
talk more often.

So for the ㄹ, is it "supposed" to sound like the English "r"? Or more towards the "l"
side? I'm not very sure about it because the sound is different depending on whether it's
at the beginning of the character or the end (to my ears anyway).

Thanks for helping!!!

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5346 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 4 of 4
29 April 2012 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Kevin Hsu wrote:
So for the ㄹ, is it "supposed" to sound like the English "r"? Or more towards the "l"
side? I'm not very sure about it because the sound is different depending on whether it's
at the beginning of the character or the end (to my ears anyway).

Thanks for helping!!!

As a general rule of thumb (since this can change somewhat when adjacent words "flow together"):
If if starts a word, ends a word, or is beside another consonant, it generally sounds like an "L" sound.
If it is between two vowels, it generally sounds like the Spanish "flicked R" sound.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version