Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4410 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 25 of 33
16 December 2012 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Young language enthusiasts aside, I don't think the teenage years are particularly good for language learning, well certainly not the early-to-mid teens. Young people at that age can be horribly embarrassed to speak a foreign language in front of their peers, it isn't cool, or they are rebellious and just don't see the point.

English is probably a special case because it dominates popular music and culture and will be regarded as fashionable, but I don't agree at all with this popular assumption that young people learn languages so much better than adults. Small children in an immersive environment, yes. Sulky teenagers, no.

Edited by beano on 16 December 2012 at 2:18am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 33
16 December 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
If you happen to live in an environment with comrades who speak weird foreign languages then you can pick them up before you have learnt to read, but to read books you need to be able to read, and in spite of all the sounds and imagery on the internet you also still need to be able to read to surf efficiently.

So before you can decide to learn languages on your own you will normally have become a teenager - and hopefully not a sulky one. This also means that you will be learning such home-grown languages alongside with those you learn in school, which at least should give you some common ground in grammar and some techniques for learning - even though the most efficient methods for homestudy aren't necessarily those you will learn from a teacher.

But in practice I doubt that a lot of teenagers choose foreign languages as their hobby. I did (alongside with classical music, mathematics, paleontology and history), but I was somewhat nerdish even at that age. And I'm proud to say that I still am.

I began learning Latin words because I couldn't find Danish names for many exotic species in the English field guides - and even less for extinct species. I began learning Italian because I wanted to know the meaning of the tempo markings in my musical scores. For this purpose I used a book by 2x Kirchheiner, and when I discovered that the same authors had written a textbook for Spanish I also began learning that. In school I had English, German and later Latin and French, so I had laid a solid foundation for my later studies during my teenage years, and I doubt I would have got where I am today without that early start.   

Edited by Iversen on 16 December 2012 at 12:53pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4347 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 27 of 33
16 December 2012 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
bela_lugosi wrote:
By the time I turned 16 I was fluent in four languages (Finnish, English, Swedish, German) and had just begun to study Russian and Italian at that time.

Sounds like you're a good deal less intimidated by actually speaking languages than I am. :-) (This is a compliment, by the way.) What opportunities did you have to practice your speaking skills? Did you mostly work on output through writing? This is interesting to me, as I feel I've never gotten anywhere without native-speaker interaction, whether in chatrooms, face-to-face or on Skype.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5635 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 33
16 December 2012 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
When I was a teenager in the 1970s (EDIT), I wasn't nerdy with languages, I did not have learning languages as a hobby back then. My hobbies were rather playing tennis and table tennis in clubs, hiking tours and I had guitar lessons. My ambition of English, French and Latin were to get good marks in school. So I studied my schoolbooks to get good marks in these subjects and in the other of my school subjects. This was very normal for a grammar school student, so there was no hint in my teenager time that I could become a polyglot later in my life.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 December 2012 at 7:30pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 33
16 December 2012 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
When I was a teenager in the 1070s(...)

In the 1070s?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)
5 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5635 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 33
16 December 2012 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
When I was a teenager in the 1070s(...)

In the 1070s?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

What a funny mistake! I will correct it immediately.

Fasulye

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6242 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 31 of 33
19 December 2012 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
sans-serif wrote:
bela_lugosi wrote:
By the time I turned 16 I was fluent in four languages (Finnish, English, Swedish, German) and had just begun to study Russian and Italian at that time.

Sounds like you're a good deal less intimidated by actually speaking languages than I am. :-) (This is a compliment, by the way.) What opportunities did you have to practice your speaking skills? Did you mostly work on output through writing? This is interesting to me, as I feel I've never gotten anywhere without native-speaker interaction, whether in chatrooms, face-to-face or on Skype.

Thank you for the compliment. :) I used to be pretty shy, actually. At some point I just didn't care about mistakes any longer, which made the whole learning process a lot easier. I had lots of opportunities to practise my languages because I've always travelled quite a lot since I was little. It all started from writing, though. I had an Indian penpal (native speaker) to whom I wrote letters in English and thus gradually got better and better. My mum encouraged me to talk to local people whenever we travelled abroad, also because she doesn't speak very good English. ;) By the time I finished secondary school I was fluent and decided to attend an English-speaking high school. As for the other languages, I just studied them at school and watched TV programmes with Finnish subtitles - I remember that Marienhof was my favourite. :D At 15 I stayed a week or so in a monolingual host family in Germany, and that helped a great deal in improving my oral skills in German. I don't think I've got a gift for languages or anything like that, I'm just interested in being able to communicate with people from different cultural backgrounds, and I think motivation is the key to successful studies.

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4388 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 32 of 33
01 January 2013 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
19, and I know nobody else who is actually interested in really learning languages... Im not fluent in anything but
english, but I think its really a bummer I dont have anyone nearby to practice with and that I have to depend on the
internet to get effective practice :/ but anyway, I also get good encouragement from the environment here ^.^

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version