Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 17 of 23
07 June 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I partially disagree with lecavaleur. It has been already done in some places. The
Welsh had English, they still have it with all it can offer, but about 600 000 among
them found a place in their lives for Welsh. I'm not that naive to think all of them
have moved most of their lives from English to Welsh, surely not, they are bilingual.
But the language lives. If about half a milion people is enough to keep a language
alive and give it a chance to grow, it would mean just every ninth inhabitant of
Luisiana.

And the languages in Central Europe, which I used as the other example (but there are
surely more exemples in the world), the people had German, a larger language which
served in anything. But they chose their own because they felt it right and because
they found it an important part of their cultural identity. This might work well for
people in Luisiana, which is now getting more and more new inhabitants from
hispanophone Central and South America. Perhaps there would be in general less bad
feelings towards these immigrates if the region had a strong ties to their own culture,
represented by the French language. The English is their native language, representing
their culture but it is as well the language of globalisation and the language of
shared pieces of culture with a lot foreign influences, so it may not feel as the glue
sticking together this particular region.

The obvious fault of the immersion schools is, that there are no native French
students, from what you say. If there was just one third, perhaps even a bit less would
suffice, the others would become bilingual. I can see a good exemple at my friend who
went to such school in Prague. Her spoken French is something I'll probably never be
able to compare myself to.

But what lecavaleur is right about is that saving Luisiana French would need a lot of
work. It would need people to want it. It would need people to create demand for it. It
doesn't necessarily mean need for unilinguals. Just want regional news and tv in your
language. Want the French translations of books, support your own authors to write in
French, if they are able to do it. Go to concerts of bands singing in French. Teach it
to your own children. Make it look cool that you speak with a friend in French in
public even though you are not old. It doesn't mean "reject the anglophone culture with
all the assets and become unilingual. It just means "open enough hearts and wallets and
it will come".

The question is not "would it be possible?", it is "do people want it?". If they don't
(as lecavaleur seems to suggest), it will just die out and no harm is done.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rivere123
United States
Joined 4641 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 18 of 23
08 June 2012 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
I agree with you guys quite a bit.

I know for sure, though, that this language CAN be saved. We just need the culture to be available, as
Cavesa has suggested. We have
Lenty of music, as I've observed, and no shortage of resources. We have a nice little organization called
CODIFIL to push the growth of French, but it is probably somewhat underfunded. I know the language would
get a major boon if we enabled natives and learners by having a local French channel. We are proud of our
culture, and if we give people the ability, the language is fully capable of making a rebound.

I agree, it would be tough, but not impossible.

lecavaleur
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4588 days ago

146 posts - 295 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 19 of 23
08 June 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Welsh, even at its most dire moment, was still spoken by about a quarter of the Welsh
population. It was far healthier than is French in Louisiana.

I'm not saying that Louisiana French can't maintain some level of survival, but it will
never again be the normal language of work, business, education, government,
spontaneous conversation in mixed company, etc. It will, at best, be a community
heritage language.

We have problems even in Quebec keeping French in Montreal as the normal language of
business, etc... and it's the second largest mother tongue French city on Earth. That's
how strong English is. If we have trouble doing it in a place where the majority of the
population is French-speaking, what kind of chances do you think these 17,000 native
speakers are going to have in Louisiana?

A realistic goal is to ensure the language is passed on the the next few generations at
least.

They should arrange bursaries so that Francophone students can study abroad in places
like France or Québec. Get them in touch with the rest of the French-Speaking world.
That is their best chance. Then the youth will not associate the language with a
backwater existence and will be able to concretely see the importance and the immense
opportunity being able to speak French is.
1 person has voted this message useful

JeremyS
United States
Joined 4555 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Icelandic, Irish

Message 20 of 23
20 January 2013 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Is anyone here actively learning Cajun/Louisiana French? I am from the state and would love to learn more
about this unique dialect.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4433 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 21 of 23
20 January 2013 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
The Irish Free State was founded in 1922, long before English became the global langua franca it is today.
Although Irish was already in steady decline and confined mainly to the western parts of the Emerald Isle,
there was still a healthy amount of native speakers and no doubt plenty near-monoglots among them.

The newly-written constitution proclaimed Irish as the "first and official" language of Eire. Bilingual signs were
erected everywhere, the language became a compulsory subject for all schoolchildren, many civil service
jobs required a working knowledge of the language, stamps and coinage carried Irish inscriptions, prominent
state bodies were given Irish names.

Yet the number of native speakers continued to fall, a trend still in evidence today. Spoken Irish today can
only be heard in very remote communities and the bulk of the population have not embraced the language,
although they will have varying degrees of passive comprehension. Tellingly, there is also significant
resentment towards the language, stemming from negative school experiences. There seems to be a fine line
between reviving a language and giving people the impression that it is being forced down their throat.

Yes, Welsh has defied all the odds to not only survive, but positively thrive. I remember waiting for a bus in
Carnaerfon and hearing a group of kids all nattering away in Welsh. The language has a bright future. Irish
(and Scots Gaelic) less so.

Hebrew seems to have been resurrected from near extinction so it is obviously possible to pull a language up
by its bootstraps, but only if the will of the population is there. There was strong determination in Israel, as the
majority language among the inhabitants was probably German.

One final point, people talk about all these "artificial" methods of propping up a language. But wasn't having a
foreign tongue foisted upon a society in he first place also artificial?

Edited by beano on 20 January 2013 at 1:25pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4415 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 22 of 23
20 January 2013 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
I was recently in Wales and had the pleasure of visiting both primary and secondary
schools where Welsh was the language of instruction. It was an incredible experience to
see the bright future of the language. When talking to a group of second level students
they made the interesting, and (I believe) relevant point that because Wales is a part of
the UK, they need to work harder to maintain a unique culture, and that is why so many
people speak Welsh. I've heard in the past people saying that when Ireland attained its
independence the nation no longer felt compelled to strive for a uniquely Irish identity
and so the Gaelic League fell out of the public's eye.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4583 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 23 of 23
20 January 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Hebrew seems to have been resurrected from near extinction so it is obviously possible to
pull a language up by its bootstraps, but only if the will of the population is there. There was strong
determination in Israel, as the majority language among the inhabitants was probably German.

From what I hear, it's precisely the fact that the Zionist settlers had no other common language to fall back
on that contributed to the success of Hebrew. The majority (or at least a plurality) of settlers had Yiddish as
their native language, but plenty of them were native speakers of standard German, Polish, Russian and
other languages, Indo-European or otherwise. In contrast, the Irish were nearly all proficient speakers of
English, and thus didn't need Irish to make themselves understood by most of their fellow countrymen.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 20 January 2013 at 5:25pm

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version