Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6052 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 9 of 17
22 May 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the info there. I also have that Langenscheidt Vocab book and I am in the process of putting all the items into anki. A time consuming process but worthwhile in the end. i think that this is a wonderful book with a very attractive layout. A very clear, simple and straight to the point book. The vast majority of the words in my mind are very passive, so i will have to go through a process of activating them later on. I am confident that knowledge of those 4000 words would give me a fantastic base.

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5886 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 10 of 17
22 May 2012 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
I've seen these numbers thrown around before in relation at least to CEFR-level tests: are they for passive
recognition? Also, to be clear, I assume you don't mean that zeit.de only uses a vocabulary of only 4000 or so
words, but rather, that you can get good coverage of the vocabulary in their articles starting with a 4000-word
vocabulary (95%, maybe? 97%?), so that you can generally comprehend what they're writing.

To be honest I have no idea how many words one would actually need to recognize in order to understand one of those articles. I'm trying to get further along in the B1/B2 range for French and would love to be shown the right way ;) but for now all I can do is read, read, read, dictionary in hand. If a person reads one newspaper article a day (an easy one, nothing to technical) and manages to find between 12-15 new words, that's 400-500 new words per month. That's a start.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hoppy
Diglot
United States
Joined 4416 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 11 of 17
22 May 2012 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
It seems to me that what you should focus on most is your speaking ability. Look online and try to find any German-language groups in your area (meetup.com is a good source). Since you're still in college, try to find student groups, or maybe email the German department and see if any students are interested in weekly discussions/conversations. If Skype's your thing, you could try that, although I'm not personally very into talking on the computer (but as I understand it, a lot of people here do find it very useful). Although talking with native speakers is good, speaking German with anyone is fine. What you'll need is the ability to respond quickly in German without spending 10 seconds forming a grammatically perfect sentence.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

P.S. Don't get too stressed, you'll have plenty of opportunities to get up to speed once you're in Germany, don't get down on yourself over an arbitrary B2/C1/C2 distinction. That said, knowing you're C1 will be a great confidence booster.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4489 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 12 of 17
22 May 2012 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Randwulf wrote:
I'm not really sure about this so take it with a grain of salt but 4000 words seems a little low for C1. If I had to guess I was going to say 6000-8000, ~4000 of which are active.

a student who has mastered the basic 2,000 core vocabulary words has learned the most important words used in 80% of all written and oral communication

As for literature, I just read things that interest me. That's the most important thing for me. It's mostly medieval fantasy and such. Probably not the best because I get a bunch of vocab that no one's used for 1000 years but the fact that I enjoy reading it allows me to put a lot of time in without overstressing myself.

These numbers sound a bit more like it, taken with the customary piles of salt. But good luck conversing with 80% of what you need--I doubt you'll get too far. Not to discourage learners, naturally (everyone is born with zero words and learns from there), just noting that you need to keep learning beyond those 2000 to reach a solid conversational level.

I also focus on medieval fantasy, so I know where you're coming from. I've found that from reading fantasy with a DE-DE dictionary I've been learning words in German that I don't even know in English, like Wams, Wappenschild and Wappenrock.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4489 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 13 of 17
22 May 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
http://www.scribd.com/doc/58382879/38/Vocabulary-Size-and-th e-CEFR#page=194

This paper addresses vocabulary acquisition in great depth and includes a discussion at about page 186 of the document on the relationship between vocabulary size and CEFR levels. The paper is discussed briefly here, as well:

http://natural-language-acquisition.blogspot.com/2012/01/num ber-of-known-words.html

So I guess for those word-counters out there the answer is to shoot for mastery of at least 4000-5000 common words if you're trying to become an advanced learner (which may be anything from B2-C2), but then expect to spend a very long time improving your vocabulary beyond that on the way to true native-like vocabulary mastery.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4334 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 14 of 17
15 October 2014 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Trying to achieve C1 certificate by March 2015

I would ideally like to sit the C1-certificate in German by late-March next year. I am probably border B2/C1 for reading/listening, but my speaking is weaker (probably low B2 for speaking), and my writing up to now has been fairly non-existent.

I am not sure how realistic a five month time frame is given my level, but I do have the advantage of living in a fairly immersive environment in Germany, and am married to a German.

Can anyone who has sat the exam give any practical tips?

I don't have infinite funds, but could hire a tutor if that was seen as a good investment. I could also simply write essays every day and my wife, who is an academic, could correct them. Or I could perhaps write essays etc at home for a couple of months, and then hire a tutor a few months before the exam. I would be very interested to hear what people think is the most efficient way to prepare for the exam.

Edited by patrickwilken on 15 October 2014 at 1:24pm

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4189 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 15 of 17
03 November 2014 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Trying to achieve C1 certificate by March 2015

I would ideally like to sit the C1-certificate in German by late-March next year. I am probably border B2/C1
for reading/listening, but my speaking is weaker (probably low B2 for speaking), and my writing up to now
has been fairly non-existent.

I am not sure how realistic a five month time frame is given my level, but I do have the advantage of living
in a fairly immersive environment in Germany, and am married to a German.

Can anyone who has sat the exam give any practical tips?

I don't have infinite funds, but could hire a tutor if that was seen as a good investment. I could also simply
write essays every day and my wife, who is an academic, could correct them. Or I could perhaps write
essays etc at home for a couple of months, and then hire a tutor a few months before the exam. I would be
very interested to hear what people think is the most efficient way to prepare for the exam.

You may already know him , there is a mamber called Alolaf , who managed to pass the C2 in a non -
immeresed environment , you could ask him .

Randwulf
United States
Joined 4693 days ago

32 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 16 of 17
05 November 2014 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
Since this thread's been resurrected here's what happened to me.

I passed the TestDaF on schedule with:
Leseverstehen: 5
Hoerverstehen: 5
muendlicher Ausdruck: 5 (surprising, but I'll take it)
schriftlicher Ausdruck: 4 (expected this to be better than speaking but I'll take it)

After my OP:

For reading: I kept reading the news and novels. (Mostly fantasy novels, so I have an
impressive vocabulary of obscure middle-age words ;)

For listening: I started spending most of my listening time watching TV shows on
myspass.de. I started with cartoons, which are relatively easy to understand (got 4 seasons
of Spongebob Squarepants under my belt, among other things) and later moved on to live
action shows which are a bit more difficult (Axel will's wissen is a good one). Sometimes I
rewinded to hear something again but for the most part I just listened, tried to get as
much as possible, and moved on. I rarely looked up words. I relied on reading to expand my
vocabulary instead. I did try LR for a bit but thought it was tedious and, for me, not as
effective as just watching TV.

For speaking: In the mornings I walked half an hour to campus and in the evenings I walked
half an hour back. During that time I rambled to myself and imaginary people about whatever
inane thing came to mind. That's pretty much it, I'm rather surprised my speaking score was
so high, I was terribly afraid of failing that.

For writing: I got pretty much the best penpal the world has ever seen. We wrote gigantic
3000 word emails back and forth weekly and she never wanted to try it in English. At first
I really agonized over every sentence trying to make it perfect. It took me ages to write
an email. But after a couple of months I could do it twice as quickly with half as many
mistakes, and a couple of months after that... It was basically exponential improvement.

Ah and I did end up studying abroad in Germany, taking master's level Computer Science
classes in German and living with German room mates. It wasn't always easy but hell was it
rewarding.

8 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version