Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
24 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5074 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 17 of 24
11 March 2013 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Zero. I don't use anki. Somehow, I manage to learn words and phrases without it. I'm not anti-anki. It's just not my thing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4685 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 18 of 24
11 March 2013 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
Bakunin, I can't understand that either. However, some people on the RtK forum and here
think
that Core10k is the be all end all for Japanese learning, and too many think it can
substitute real reading and listening practice. (They wait until they are "ready".)

Edited by stifa on 11 March 2013 at 8:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 19 of 24
12 March 2013 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
I have just under 8000 cards on my Anki German deck, which I generated over about nine months. It was really helpful to get from A1 to B2, but as I am now reading more and more it's perhaps less useful, but not to the point where I would like to give it up. It might even be that it's still as useful as before: it's just that reading is so much more enjoyable than cards.

The cards I have are a mixture of sentences, grammar tips (e.g., how to conjugate X in situation Y), as well as single words.

One thing I find really helpful: as I read a book on my Kindle I make a note of sentences I like and can then subsequently import them direct into the card deck. I also can jump into the dictionary and make notes of any word definitions (plus example sentences) and import these as well.

Edited by patrickwilken on 12 March 2013 at 5:49pm

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4179 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 20 of 24
15 March 2013 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
French MCDs about 5000 (mostly from LWT but also copied from books)
English MCDs about 1800 (almost 100% from LWT)

Translation exercises (sentences; German to French) ~500
Translation exercises (sentences; German to English) ~400

Japanese 常用漢字 (jôyô kanji) (all; direction: German meaning(s), Japanese readings and a few compounds -> Japanese characters; a GOOD deck for learning how to write Japanese)

Japanese sentences (recognizing; 12000, but 8000 thereof from premade deck; I do NOT recommend using premade sentence decks! I will delete the whole thing, but I don't study Japanese anyway at the moment...)

I will delete many of the cards in my MCD decks. The problem with LWT is that I save too many words. In fact, I save every single word I don't know. It has become like an obsession. And I absolutely want to memorize every single one of them. That's a bit too much. I will never memorize terms like "General Synod".

And I don't like Anki 2!

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 21 of 24
15 March 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
I have a few hundred cards that I put in myself at the moment in my deck, but total over time, counting all the cards I've put into Anki, it's probably about 4000 maybe? Hard to tell. I usually delete all my decks once a year or so. Anki is good for getting a first hold of a word, but I see little point in keeping it there long term. Also, I have long periods of several months when I don't study languages, and taking up the same deck again with 1000+ reps is not something I feel I want to do.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 22 of 24
15 March 2013 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Also, I have long periods of several months when I don't study languages, and taking up the same deck again with 1000+ reps is not something I feel I want to do.

I think the best thing Anki did for me was force me to make a habit of doing language study every day.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Marski
Diglot
Macedonia
Joined 4667 days ago

12 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Macedonian*, English
Studies: Italian

Message 23 of 24
16 March 2013 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
Amen for that. In the last four months, since I started using Anki religiously, I've only
missed 5-6 days. Before that (well, at least ever since I stopped attending language
classes) it was a struggle to get motivated.

Edited by Marski on 18 March 2013 at 12:34pm

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 24 of 24
16 March 2013 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
Yeah, everyone is different. I will lose all motivation if I force myself to study even if I don't feel like it. If I lose interest in a language, I'll stop studying it and wait for the interest to get back. Life's too short to do boring stuff, and I've got plenty of other interests that can take up the time not spent on language study. But that's just how I work, and I'm sure others benefit from forcing themselves to study every day. Know thyself, and all that. I've learned enough languages to know that I work best when studying in intense bursts of obsession interspersed with periods of neglect.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version