Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 29
13 May 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
I have started to enter my French frequency dictionary into Anki, and before I get too far, I wanted to get some feedback and ask some questions. I'm doing this because all the French frequency decks I found were pretty small, or seemed unsuitable.

I'm using the Routledge frequency dictionary, and I'm entering the words in order. When I've entered a column of words, I go into the browser, select the words I've just entered, and reversing them as well. That way you get new words forwards and backwards, but if you learn it one way faster they will separate in terms of review time. I have been tagging them with the tags the dictionary uses (e.g. pro, det, nmi, adj, conj, etc), and putting a frequency tag as well (so far only "1-100"). I figure grouping them by 100s is good enough.

If I want to make cards from words I come across while reading, etc, I will make a separate deck.

Are there any other suggestions people have for things I should be doing?
If I enter words, but forget to make reverse copies, is there an easy way to find cards that haven't been reversed?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along. But please give me any advice or feedback you can.

EDIT: thought of another question: how do I enter special characters like accents? I currently type them in Word and copy them over, since it just takes a couple of simple keystrokes to type accents in Word.

EDIT2: I've noticed the dictionary doesn't list feminine forms of adjectives, so I'll be looking these up separately so that the cards show both forms. A bit of a pain, but important, I think. Anything else like this I should be thinking of?

EDIT3: Just realized I need something to show gender. I'm going to go with including the article on the French side nouns. Sound good? So, I need to pay special attention to noun and adjective cards. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Edited by Jeffers on 13 May 2012 at 3:38pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 29
13 May 2012 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
You can add the French layout to your keyboard, in the language/region/time settings.

For words where the gender isn't obvious, you may want to indicate it by the colour of the words.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 3 of 29
13 May 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
You can add the French layout to your keyboard, in the language/region/time settings.

For words where the gender isn't obvious, you may want to indicate it by the colour of the words.

I'll check out the regional setting for French. I already type Hindi that way.

As for gender, I'm adding an article to the French side. If the word starts with a vowel, I'm using an indefinite article; e.g. l'an --> un an. I'm sure colour works for some people, but I'll stick with what I've used before.

Thanks for the ideas!

EDIT: added French layout, but how do you type accents with it?

EDIT2: fixed gender of "an"... which is correct in my deck, by the way. Thank you Cavesa!

Edited by Jeffers on 13 May 2012 at 5:45pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 29
13 May 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
or you can use typeit.org :-)

for the reversing, you can make whole one way deck and make a reverse deck afterwards
more easily. conserning feminine adjectives: most are regular so you don't need to
memorise all m and f to every adjective, just the irregular ones.

p.s. l'an is masculine

t123
Diglot
South Africa
https://github.com/t
Joined 5406 days ago

139 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans

Message 5 of 29
13 May 2012 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Keep the gender as a separate field and not together with the noun. That'll allow you to make cards like:
Q: {{gender}} {{word}} A: {{definition}} (what does X mean)
OR Q: Gender of {{word}}? A: {{gender}}

My previous experience is that it's better to test meaning and gender separately, because often I know one and not the other. Or usually I know
the meaning but not the gender, and then I'm tempted to mark the card correct. It's also difficult to separate the gender out afterwards.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 6 of 29
13 May 2012 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
t123 wrote:
Keep the gender as a separate field and not together with the noun. That'll allow you to make cards like:
Q: {{gender}} {{word}} A: {{definition}} (what does X mean)
OR Q: Gender of {{word}}? A: {{gender}}

My previous experience is that it's better to test meaning and gender separately, because often I know one and not the other. Or usually I know
the meaning but not the gender, and then I'm tempted to mark the card correct. It's also difficult to separate the gender out afterwards.

A good idea, but more complicated than I want to make my cards. If I get either the gender or the definition wrong, I mark the card incorrect.

But thank you for the suggestion.

kimmitt
United Kingdom
Joined 4746 days ago

33 posts - 38 votes
Studies: French

Message 7 of 29
14 May 2012 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
There's a piece of software I used called Lexbar or Lexibar - it's a small floating toolbar with all of the relevant accented letters on.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5330 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 8 of 29
14 May 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
If you plan to make the facts bidirectional from the start, then change the "Cards" field in the upper right corner of the "Add Items" window to say "Forward, Reverse" instead of just "Forward". Then it will automatically create both cards for each new fact you enter.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version