Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 25 of 29
29 December 2013 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
I don't really mind working at leeches a bit, but that's because I use Anki very much as a tertiary resource. I initially thought I would learn all my French vocab from context in Assimil and books, but once I started to read native material, I realized I needed a vocab boost. So I bought the Routledge Frequency dictionary and started to use Anki.

I like Anki, but I don't use it much more than 10 minutes a day, and I usually only add 6 new cards a day (3 new words). If I used Anki as much as many others do, then I would have to be more severe about culling cards. But since it is only a fringe activity in my learning suite, they don't stress me.

As I mentioned before, when a tough card comes back I don't get stressed. I just have a look over it, pass or fail it, and move along. Because I have been reading and watching a lot (thanks to the Super Challenge), I have experienced the effect of most new words I add being words I have already come across in one way or other.

I agree with Emk, if any language learning activity becomes painful, it should probably be dropped. But as I mentioned before, 9/10 times changing the definition slightly has solved problems with leech cards for me.

Edited by Jeffers on 29 December 2013 at 9:35pm

1 person has voted this message useful

zonius
Triglot
Israel
Joined 4857 days ago

12 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, Modern Hebrew
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 26 of 29
12 January 2014 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
How did this experiment turn out? I tried something similar with the Spanish Frequency dictionary, but never finished. It's hard to sustain a brute force method like this.

For what it's worth I've done this with Spanish. 5000 words, Anki cards for production (going English->Spanish). Took me about a year to finish the deck with some breaks along the way. Gave me a solid base.

One interesting thing that was not immediately obvious: it seems that this basis was so reliable that the language deteriorates at a much lower rate than I would've expected after a couple of years of almost total neglect.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 27 of 29
12 January 2014 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
zonius wrote:
luke wrote:
How did this experiment turn out? I tried something similar with the Spanish Frequency dictionary, but never finished. It's hard to sustain a brute force method like this.

For what it's worth I've done this with Spanish. 5000 words, Anki cards for production (going English->Spanish). Took me about a year to finish the deck with some breaks along the way. Gave me a solid base.

One interesting thing that was not immediately obvious: it seems that this basis was so reliable that the language deteriorates at a much lower rate than I would've expected after a couple of years of almost total neglect.

Sounds great! How much time did you spend each day? Any other information you could give us about how you did it? Like what did you do about leeches?

zonius
Triglot
Israel
Joined 4857 days ago

12 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, Modern Hebrew
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 28 of 29
16 January 2014 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
some things that I've learned from the experience that might be interesting

1. It seems that 5000 words was too much. I was rather burned out towards the end and I don't think the last words were worth the trouble. At that frequency range I think it's better to pick up words through reading. If I was doing it again I'd stop at about 3500 words, then switch to reading. (And maybe come back later at a more advanced stage and get the last 1500 to make sure there are no missing words in that range).

2. Going for "production" cards instead of "recognition", that is L1-->L2 (or L2 -> L3 in my case) instead of the other way round. This is actually a decision that I still think was absolutely correct! I feel that compared to the "recognition" style learning this made the knowledge of the words much more persistent. There was a slight "technical" problem with this approach: some of the English translations were close to one another and occasionally even identical, so when seeing the face of the card I had no way to know which Spanish word I needed. To solve this problem I've added a new field "Hint" to the deck and whenever I made a mistake by giving a different word I would enter "not <otherword>" as the Hint. For example I have a card for "to increase" with a hint of "(not ampliar)" and an answer "aumentar". In fact for some words I have more duplicates, so for "to increase" I also have another card with a hint of "(not ampliar, aumentar)" and an answer of "incrementar".

3. I've spent about a year on this project. For about 8 months I've been learning new words and then about 4 months more of reviews only. Also I took a break for about a month and a half at some time during the first 8 months. Cannot remember the exact time spent per day, but I think it was about 40 minutes.

4. Leeches - now this is something I would've definitely changed if I was doing it again. I fought with them, I increased the limits time and again and when some cursed card was being suspended I would go and unsuspend it manually and even "reschedule as a new card" and then fail it again and again. At the end of the year my limits for leeches grew as high as 16. In retrospect it was adding considerably to the frustration and absolutely not worth it. Doing it again I would've set the limit to around 4 and tried very hard to keep the perfectionism fits in check.

Edited by zonius on 16 January 2014 at 1:08pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5355 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 29 of 29
16 January 2014 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
zonius wrote:
I was rather burned out towards the end and I don't think the last words were worth the
trouble. At that frequency range I think it's better to pick up words through reading.

I never got round to mentioning it on the other thread, but I got most of my benefit with the gender learning
from the first couple of thousand words. I think you can learn stuff in isolation, but at a certain point there
needs to be a balance between anki and real world.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version