273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 17 of 35
23 May 2012 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
liddytime wrote:

napoleon wrote:

Thank you for taking an intersest in my mother tongue. I was working on an intoductory book on the bengali
script, but had to stop to focus on my semester examinations, which should end by the second week of June.

Perhaps, if you are interested, we could start a Basic Bengali study group here on HTLAL.

I am interested! Sadly, I am up to my ears in other languages and work commitments right now so I think it
would be quite a while before I could consider it a serious pursuit. It was pretty cool though, I was listening to a
Bangla podcast and I definitely recognized many cognate words from my Hindi study!

Napoleon (or any other Bangla speakers out there) How much overlap is there between Hindi and Bangla? Is it
just a coincidence of cognates that makes them sound somewhat alike (say, similar to English and German) or are
they much more closely related, like Spanish and Portuguese?

In everyday speech, they're more like English and German when it comes to vocabulary, since colloquial Hindi has so many words from Urdu/Persian/Arabic which don't exist in Bengoli. In Hindi, many Sanskrit words sound formal (for example PUSTAK instead of KITAB for a ''book'') and can render a register 'formal, ceremonial, pompous, or even artificial.''

Edited by Camundonguinho on 23 May 2012 at 9:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4814 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 18 of 35
23 May 2012 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Camundonguinho wrote:
liddytime wrote:
liddytime wrote:

napoleon wrote:

Thank you for taking an intersest in my mother tongue. I was working on an intoductory book on the bengali
script, but had to stop to focus on my semester examinations, which should end by the second week of June.

Perhaps, if you are interested, we could start a Basic Bengali study group here on HTLAL.

I am interested! Sadly, I am up to my ears in other languages and work commitments right now so I think it
would be quite a while before I could consider it a serious pursuit. It was pretty cool though, I was listening to a
Bangla podcast and I definitely recognized many cognate words from my Hindi study!

Napoleon (or any other Bangla speakers out there) How much overlap is there between Hindi and Bangla? Is it
just a coincidence of cognates that makes them sound somewhat alike (say, similar to English and German) or are
they much more closely related, like Spanish and Portuguese?

In everyday speech, they're more like English and German when it comes to vocabulary, since colloquial Hindi has so many words from Urdu/Persian/Arabic which don't exist in Bengoli. In Hindi, many Sanskrit words sound formal (for example PUSTAK instead of KITAB for a ''book'') and can render a register 'formal, ceremonial, pompous, or even artificial.''

Just wanted to add that 'pustak' is a too formal a word to be used in everyday conversation. In bengali, the colloquial word for book is 'boi,' pronounced bow-yee.
Most books choose to teach one of the two formal registers, i.e., either Modern Standard Hindi or Modern Standard Urdu.
Now, Standard Hindi and Standard Bengali have a lot of cognates. Someone who knows either of the two gets a huge discount in terms of vocabulary when learning the other language.
The colloquial variety of any language that exhibits diglossia, by its very definition, is bound to be different from its standard variety.

Edited by napoleon on 26 May 2012 at 6:44am

3 persons have voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5758 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 19 of 35
23 May 2012 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
My lack of interest in Bengali stems mostly from the geography of the language. I'm sure
West Bengal and Bangladesh are interesting places, but they are rather tiny. Due to this,
the language strikes me as provincial. I can only imagine learning Bengali if it had some
kind of cultural explosion, like most recently Korean has had.

drfeelgood17
Bilingual Hexaglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6247 days ago

98 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Japanese, Latin, Arabic (Written)

Message 20 of 35
25 May 2012 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:
My lack of interest in Bengali stems mostly from the geography of the language. I'm sure
West Bengal and Bangladesh are interesting places, but they are rather tiny. Due to this,
the language strikes me as provincial. I can only imagine learning Bengali if it had some
kind of cultural explosion, like most recently Korean has had.

Tiny?

West Bengal + Bangladesh are far bigger both geographically and demographically than the entire Korean peninsula - notwithstanding this alleged "cultural explosion" from Korean.

And Bengali's contribution to culture (literature, cinema, philosophy, political theory, music etc...) is hardly "tiny".

Edited by drfeelgood17 on 25 May 2012 at 3:49pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4505 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 21 of 35
25 May 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
The real problem is South Korea has a much better economy - and it's where the money is that people go to get it. :)
5 persons have voted this message useful

drfeelgood17
Bilingual Hexaglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6247 days ago

98 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Japanese, Latin, Arabic (Written)

Message 22 of 35
25 May 2012 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 

I am all for learning languages with no economic or financial considerations whatsoever. As far as I'm concerned there is so much more to language learning than using it as a tool to get a job, earn more money, rub shoulders with speakers of "economically powerful" countries. Let me emphasize that there is NOTHING WRONG with learning a language for this reason, just as there is nothing wrong with learning it for reasons other than money.

Edited by drfeelgood17 on 25 May 2012 at 4:12pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6027 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 23 of 35
26 May 2012 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
drfeelgood17 wrote:

I am all for learning languages with no economic or financial considerations whatsoever. As far as I'm concerned
there is so much more to language learning than using it as a tool to get a job, earn more money, rub shoulders
with speakers of "economically powerful" countries. Let me emphasize that there is NOTHING WRONG with
learning
a language for this reason, just as there is nothing wrong with learning it for reasons other than money.

I couldn't agree more - perhaps that's why there are so many Georgian learners on this Forum!

As a side note there are a few good blog posts on the subject that were directed my way:

http://mybangladiary.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/why-relatively -few-learners-of-bengali-in-the-uk/

http://tangleofwires.wordpress.com/2012/05/23/why-dont-more- people-learn-bengali-bangla/

I haven't started studying Bangla yet - but this discussion has inspired me to brush up a bit on my Hindi!

Edited by liddytime on 26 May 2012 at 5:30am

Afgjasmine16
Triglot
United States
Joined 5804 days ago

29 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Pashto*, English, Hindi
Studies: Bengali, Tamil, Indonesian, Turkish

Message 24 of 35
02 July 2012 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
Hello liddytime! I'm sorry for replying so late but I am an active learner of Bengali and other Indian languages, so I wanted to add my response. I have to say all Indian languages are widely unpopular, and I really don't know why. Even when I tell people I like Indian languages like Hindi and Bengali, people usually respond with one of the following, "why don't you learn Arabic or Chinese instead?" "You can't learn them because there's so many different dialects." "It's impossible" "You should learn Spanish!" and finally "What a useless language!". I've noticed for Bengali, many people don't even know it exists or think it is just a dialect of Hindi. A lot of people think Hindi or Bengali are way too hard learn, which isn't true at all, in my own opinion they are much easier than learning Arabic or Chinese and even some European Languages. But I really agree, I don't know why particularly Bengali is so unpopular. Bengali is pretty accessible, I've found more movies, music, books and newspapers for Bengali than I have for some other languages I study. There are tons of Indian shops around that sell so much in Bengali and any other Indian language. If you want to learn Bengali, learn it, but I have to be honest if you want to learn an Indian language just to have an Indian language, do Hindi! Firstly, it really is the lingua-franca of the subcontinent regardless of what people say. I have spoken in Hindi with almost every Nepali I met, Majority of Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada speakers I have met will speak to me in a little Hindi they know. Pretty much all Guajarati's, Punjabi's, and Marathi's will speak Hindi! The only regions I think that have zero tolerance for Hindi is Tamil Nadu and West Bengal. Although in Bengali speaking parts some people are starting to understand Hindi because of the popularity of Hindi films. A very small minority of Marathi's too will refuse to speak Hindi and there are exceptions to the other groups as well but in my experience majority will speak Hindi. Also if you learn Hindi, it will give you Urdu pretty much for free :) But of course, learning a regional language will get you a lot of respect ;) Also learning Hindi will help you tremendously with Bengali and other regional languages. When I started Bengali, I had a good grasp on Hindi and picked up on Bengali pretty fast. Although I'm still working on my written and spoken Bengali, I can read it and understand it pretty well. But I think if you are interested in Bengali, you should go for it regardless of how popular it is. I can't stress enough how rewarding of a language it is too learn, when you meet a Bengali they get so excited you are learning their language (this probably can be said for any regional Indian language). One time I went into a Dunkin Donuts and the cashier was from Bangladesh, when I said a couple words in Bengali to him, he got excited he didn't charge me for a coffee :) Oh and I also wanted to point out, although it's true many Indians speak English, but sometimes their use is so different from the English used in America sometimes it is hard to understand. So in a job with translating or even in Business, knowing an Indian language would be very beneficial. I really wish Bengali was a more popular language because it is a great language to learn!               

8 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version