Croatia
Joined 4466 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 33 of 35
15 February 2013 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
Bengali is not that marginalized.
Bengali learning/teaching material is more readily available than Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Oriya and Assamese language sources.

Edited by Medulin on 15 February 2013 at 5:14am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5238 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 34 of 35
22 April 2013 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Interesting, Medulin.

I don't know if this is true, but I would be inclined to believe it.

If one is truly desperate, try searching for really old British language books published in 1800's. Some of these
may be digitized by libraries. Some are sold by old-book dealers. And keep searching, because the language
fields are changing. In Bengali one site with a lot of new approaches is http://supriyosen.net.

I finally do have an example of why (New Yorkers, at least) should consider learning Bengali. A truly powerful
reason.

In New York, I think 45% of restaurants have Bangladeshi waiters (female rare, outside of Jackson Heights).
Anyway, LOTS. So wherever i go, I chat with who I can. I went with a friend to a hugely popular Westside Italian
restaurant. chatted away with many waiters. Word passes from one to another, other waiters drop by to see what
I can and can't say.

Six months later, my friend wants to book a table for 10 for her Russian friend for her birthday. Calls. Not
possible. "But, you know me', she says "I come there. My friend speaks Bengali"
Table booked!

Edited by Deji on 22 April 2013 at 7:05pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5007 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 35
22 April 2013 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Deji wrote:

I finally do have an example of why (New Yorkers, at least) should consider learning Bengali. A truly powerful
reason.

In New York, I think 45% of restaurants have Bangladeshi waiters (female rare, outside of Jackson Heights).
Anyway, LOTS. So wherever i go, I chat with who I can. I went with a friend to a hugely popular Westside
Italian restaurant. chatted away with many waiters. Word passes from one to another, other waiters drop by
to see what I can and can't say.

Six months later, my friend wants to book a table for 10 for her Russian friend for her birthday. Calls. Not
possible. "But, you know me', she says "I come there. My friend speaks Bengali"
Table booked!

That was a great story, Deji.   While in London (Eng.) a few years ago, one of the staff at an Indian restaurant
airily assured us that "all" Indian restaurants in Britain have staff (esp cooks) from Bangladesh. Even
allowing for some exaggeration, it's apparently quite common (or at least not uncommon) for kitchen workers
to travel on temporary work visas (the rationale being that the employers have been unable to find Britons
with comparable skills/experience in the cuisine), work intensely, live frugally and save during the months of
their overseas employment, and then return home with their hard-earned currency; to be replaced by a fresh
rotation of Bengali-speakers.

So the "speaking Bengali to get better service in restaurants" strategy may work in London or other cities too.

Here in Canada (and especially in B.C.) there's a significant Sikh population, so - who knows?- Punjabi may
perhaps be more likely to do the trick. - But I don't speak either, so can't test the theory...

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version