Diglot
United States
Joined 5164 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 73 of 154
09 July 2013 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
Motivating post. Isn't that a great feeling to do your job in Spanish!! To me it actually made my study time really seem worth it because there added the sense of value to it... in the sense that I am actually doing something really productive. I would imagine that knowing Spanish will help you in your company considering you have a plant in Mexico. Stay motivated. I don't think I am too far ahead of you, if at all, but I will warn you that progress does seem to slow down the more you advance. That's why I think it is so critical to have the process be fun.
1 person has voted this message useful

HermonMunster
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4422 days ago

119 posts - 211 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 74 of 154
10 July 2013 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
You're right James, it's a great feeling to be able to get things done in Spanish. It really is a 2 for 1. I started to learn so that I could do my job better and eliminate some of the frustrations that arise from not being able to speak with a person that is fully fluent, but the social aspect is far more than I expected.

Last night I had a meet up. We were having so much fun at our table that the organizer had to come by and tell us to quiet down because the others couldn't hear. To which I replied, in Spanish of course, "Not my problem." lol The whole table burst out laughing and the jokes continued albeit more quiet. We were talking about everything and just had a good ole time. There was a new guy in the group is a the captain of a ship. It was really cool to talk to him. Another guy used to live in Mexico city for 8 years was telling us stories of when he was down there. Just an all around great time. I only learned a few new words but it was a great opportunity to work on my speaking and listening. Again the Peruvian ladies blew my mind with the speed of their talking. It was funny because one guy just came out and told one of them. "I can not understand a word that you're saying" ha! Then she said, "You just can't hear, Herm understands." Meanwhile I'm saying, "Ohhhh! in your face!!!" But after a while I had to break the bad news to her. I can only understand because I listen really hard and read her lips and even then I get lost some times. It was a really funny exchange.

P.S. does anyone else notice that as you get better in your target language you start getting worse in your native one?

Edited by HermonMunster on 10 July 2013 at 11:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5164 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 75 of 154
15 July 2013 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Yes, my speling in English stinks now.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4811 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 76 of 154
15 July 2013 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Yep! My spelling and to an extent my grammar has consistently deteriorated whilst I have been learning Spanish. I wonder if it has to do with spending less time reading in English?

HermonMunster
Joined 4422 days ago

119 posts - 211 votes 

Message 77 of 154
16 July 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for letting me know James and Dbag. I thought I was the only one. The other day I was writing an email in English and was thinking, "I can't spell for S#$^&." Not that spelling has ever been my strong point, but it's getting to where I need to proof important emails 3x just to be sure I didn't spell something the Spanish way.

Dream Killers and The Squeaky Wheel (sounds like a kinda cool title for a book)

I just wanted to write about this while it was fresh in my mind. Yesterday I shared my plan for attending the English class in the morning before work starts and I got a lot of negativity and jokes. I don't know what I thought people would say, maybe "that's a great idea, good job." The comments ranged from, "Why do you want to do that? You could be helping us during that time." (note the Mexican engineers start at 7am but when Americans are traveling they never show up until 8, so if I attend the class from 7-8am, I will be arrive at work the same time I would have anyway.) to "you just want to look at the girls." To be honest that pissed me off and I was about to cancel going early to the classes. I don't want/need any nonsense from trying to be ambitious. However last night I started reading a book about living an awesome life and it really inspired me to say, "F-um!" If the company won't pay for me to have classes, I just need to make my own. I enjoy my job and work with a great company but this current position I have is not the end for me. I'm moving up and out in the future and I need to do everything that I can to prepare myself, including attending those English classes before work. To those who read this, don't let people rain on your dreams and only tell people who will be supportive. If they won't root for you then they don't need to know.

I was wondering if the English instructor didn't want me to come to the class. I had written her last week and didn't get a response. This morning I checked my junk email and there it was. The cool thing is that she offered to help me with my Spanish. See there, the squeaky wheel does get the grease! I'm very pleased because this was my plan all along. Of course I want to help out the folks trying to learn English to give back to the language learning community of the world, but I wanted to really have next week’s trip be a language immersion and it looks like that is going to happen. I'm thinking that if I get along well with the teacher I may try to cut a deal with her for lessons in the evening. I normally have a few hours of dead time between getting back to the hotel and someone picking me up for dinner or drinks. Does anyone know what rates are for a tutor in Mexico? I want to get a deal on lessons, but I also want to be fair. Maybe I could just pay in dinner, invite her and her husband out to dinner, my treat, and in return we talk Spanish the whole time with maybe some notes/pointers at the end. Who knows, but I will definitely keep squeaking and getting the grease.

Cya!

2 persons have voted this message useful

HermonMunster
Joined 4422 days ago

119 posts - 211 votes 

Message 78 of 154
19 July 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Good Morning,
I'm leaving for Mexico early Monday morning and will be there until Friday. Everything is set up for me attending the English class and getting some Spanish help. I'm really excited about the trip. I may try to post everyday while I'm down there just so I don't leave anything out or have to write one super post when I return. It feels good to know that my buddies down there are excited to see me and are looking forward to hanging out.

I think all of us on this site need to count our blessings. Sometimes we don't realize that everyone can't do what we are doing. The other day I was chatting with our new quoting person and asking her if she's trying to learn English. She said no and I kept pushing. Long story short, she just has trouble with languages, I don't know if it's dyslexia or something else, but she said she's always had problems from when she was a little girl and she struggles with Spanish words. I felt bad for pushing but I tried to leave the conversation of a positive note by saying that we will just work on basic things, hello, goodbye, what's your name, breakfast... She really liked that idea.

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4040 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 79 of 154
22 July 2013 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
Have fun on your trip!

HermonMunster
Joined 4422 days ago

119 posts - 211 votes 

Message 80 of 154
31 July 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
double post. this one wasn't right.

Edited by HermonMunster on 31 July 2013 at 8:18pm

This discussion contains 154 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version