Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Easiest language for an English speaker?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
80 messages over 10 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 10 Next >>
COF
United States
Joined 5620 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 65 of 80
03 June 2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
COF, you seem to have strong opinions about what Europeans think of each other. You have no idea what you're
talking about. This, for instance, is utterly nonsense:

COF wrote:
So today, the other Scandinavians make fun of the Danes mainly because there is still a slight
bitterness about how they have behaved in the past, although it is mostly good natured and light hearted.

No, you have no idea what you're talking about. Anti-Danish sentiment is common in Norway.

In fact, the whole reason Nynorsk was invented was to make the Norwegian language seem artificially less similar to Danish, because many Norwegian hate the Danes and hate to be associated with them.

The Norwegians say that Danish sounds like Norwegian with a potato in the mouth, or more extreme a form of throat cancer. Many Norwegians are racist against the Danes.

Edited by COF on 03 June 2012 at 9:16pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4411 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 66 of 80
03 June 2012 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
I think many Scandinavians do think Danish is uglier than the other Scandinavian languages, mainly I think because Danish sounds more unclear than the others to them (it does to me too). I don't think there is much more to it than that.
1 person has voted this message useful

COF
United States
Joined 5620 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 67 of 80
03 June 2012 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Also, many Norwegian comedy shows on TV regularly make fun of the Danish and portray them as being dumb and unsophisticated.

Edited by COF on 03 June 2012 at 9:26pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5242 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 68 of 80
03 June 2012 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
COF, you don't know what you're talking about. You have written a lot of nonsense about what Europeans think and
feel in this thread and in other threads. It is time to shut up and stop trolling.
5 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4561 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 69 of 80
03 June 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
So today, the other Scandinavians make fun of the Danes mainly because there is still a slight bitterness about how they have behaved in the past, although it is mostly good natured and light hearted.

COF wrote:
In fact, the whole reason Nynorsk was invented was to make the Norwegian language seem artificially less similar to Danish, because many Norwegian hate the Danes and hate to be associated with them.

The Norwegians say that Danish sounds like Norwegian with a potato in the mouth, or more extreme a form of throat cancer. Many Norwegians are racist against the Danes.
Are you even keeping track of your trolling? Lurk moar n00b.
5 persons have voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4967 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 70 of 80
03 June 2012 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
lol Afrikaans a Dutch creole, it hasn't got to be any funnier

This posting made me curious about this whole 'Afrikaans', so I borrowed a Teach Yourself Afrikaans and... they say in the introduction, that Afrikaans is 'in a sense' a Creole.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4561 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 71 of 80
03 June 2012 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
tarvos wrote:
lol Afrikaans a Dutch creole, it hasn't got to be any funnier

This posting made me curious about this whole 'Afrikaans', so I borrowed a Teach Yourself Afrikaans and... they say in the introduction, that Afrikaans is 'in a sense' a Creole.
I remember reading somewhere (I'll let someone who is more familiar with the subject correct me if I'm wrong) that there was a bit of a controversy about this. Linguists seem to agree that Afrikaans was influenced both by the natural evolution and intermixing of the dialects of the Dutch settlers and by the so-called "kitchen Dutch", a pidgin that was used for communication between the Dutch and their Khoisan slaves, as well as other non-native Dutch speakers (Malay, Bantu, German, French, English, etc.). The disagreement is over which of those formed the basis of standard Afrikaans. There is a political dimension to this debate, so it's kind of a touchy subject. Interestingly, the Wikipedia article on Afrikaans is included in both the "Dutch-based pidgins and creoles" and "Low Franconian languages" categories - creole languages are generally not included in the families of their parent languages.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 72 of 80
03 June 2012 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
Pffft, nynorsk was introduced over a century ago. Whatever feelings might have existed at that point is irrelevant by now.

The hot potato joke is also used by Finns, perhaps because they have far more exposure to Swedish than to other Scandinavian languages.

Oh and it can't be racism because the race in question is the same.

Next time you claim that a European country X hates the European country Y, see how many points they gave each other at the latest Eurovision contests :)

Edited by Serpent on 03 June 2012 at 11:12pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version