20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 9 of 19
14 June 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
tanya b wrote:
However there is a British professor named Hewitt, who speaks no
Russian, who apparently is fluent in Abkhaz and has written a dictionary and textbook
for English speakers.

George Hewitt also knows Georgian very well, although whether or not he has mastered it
I couldn't say. Well enough, though, to teach a degree course in Georgian at The
School of Oriental and African Studies at London University.

He seems like an interesting guy, and not a little controversial. He wrote a Georgian
textbook which was highly criticized due to its inaccuracies and supposed prejudicial
statements against Georgians. In the final year of his degree course students study
Abkhazian, having spent only two years on Georgian, not enough to reach even a solid
intermediate level. As far as I am aware, he is married to an Abkhazian woman and
serves as the unofficial British ambassador to Abkhazia. He is highly critical of the
Georgian government and seems to have a rather low opinion of Georgia and its people in
general.

By the way, the degree course can only be taken in combination with another subject
and, in contrast to most UK language degrees,does not include compulsory study abroad
in Georgia. I also wonder how enjoyable it would be to study a language under a
teacher who doesn't love the culture and country associated with that language.
Nevertheless it's good that it exists, and SOAS seems like a wonderful institution.

Your comments piqued my curiosity and man was I in for a surprise after typing his name in Google. The comments about his book on Georgian grammar are illuminating to say the least. He seems like a thoroughly and shockingly unprofessional choice as an author, whatever his nominal linguistic competence is.
3 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6963 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 10 of 19
24 April 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
I'm resuscitating this old thread because the recent Boston bombings have motivated me to do a bit of reading about some of the Caucasian peoples, and I ran across a website on Professor Hewitt, cited above, that may be of interest to people working on, or just curious about, the languages of the Caucasus:

http://www.georgehewitt.net/

The website has various sections, but includes a very lengthy list of his published articles on various topics, both linguistic and non-linguistic, most of which are available to download in PDF form. The "books" section also includes a PDF of a grammar of Abkhaz that he wrote.

He does seem to be a controversial character, but even so, I wanted to note his website for those interested in the region.
4 persons have voted this message useful

morinkhuur
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4496 days ago

79 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: German*, Latin, English
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi)

Message 11 of 19
24 April 2013 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Moses McCormick seems to like his book.

Edited by morinkhuur on 24 April 2013 at 6:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4985 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 12 of 19
24 April 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
I think you should go for the language with most resources, and it seems to be Abkhazian. There is Hewitt's new book and there used to be the site apsni.com where they translated a textbook from Russian with audio. I think you can still find the same book elsewhere. There used to be this site apsny.net which had this book in Russian but it is also gone.
1 person has voted this message useful

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5299 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 13 of 19
25 April 2013 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
I am wondering what kinds of materials you are all using to learn these languages? I am very interested in languages of the Caucuses and was wondering what materials you were using to study. I would very much be curious to see how you all went about studying these relatively exotic languages.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6048 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 14 of 19
25 April 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure I have ever seen the words "easiest" and "Caucasian Language" together in the same sentence before!
;-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4985 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 15 of 19
25 April 2013 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
@Po-ru, you better start over with Georgian, it has more resources, even though they are far from ideal. And you have a team of devoted learners to help you =D

Other than that, Armenian and Ossetic are indo-european, Azeri is turkic and nort caucasian has nothing to do with south caucasian/kartvelian. So, if you are aiming for linguistic uniqueness, you should pick either north caucasian or south caucasian, even if they aren't proved to be related.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version