learninglane.tumblr.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4337 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 9 of 81
16 July 2012 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
What books do you read?

CCS has kanji, actually, just everything with furigana, which is pretty helpful for me. I can't read things with only
hiragana either, though, I get too confused where words end.

あっ、ありがとうごさいました!一番目のは 前、見ましたけど忘れました。二番目のこと は初めて聞いて、見てみます。
(Thank you for the links! I'd seen the first before, but I forgot about it. Hadn't seen the second, so I'll check it out.)
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6410 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 10 of 81
16 July 2012 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Right now I've been reading a lot of Harry Potter. I'm about to start book six. It's not really easy reading, but since I've read them all before in English, it makes it much easier. It has furigana on a lot of the kanji since children can't be expected to know them, but when the kanji appears several times on a page, it only gives furigana for the first time, so it tests your memory a bit. It's also rather kanji-heavy compared to most children's books, so it's easy to separate the words, which is a problem for me too when there is too much hiragana.

Earlier, I read some romance novels. I don't usually read them, but they are very easy to read. I think barring books you've read before, romance novels are probably the easiest to read. Of course, one quickly gets enough of them :b

I also have some other books for young adults. I've looked through some, but haven't really read them yet. I think I will probably do alright with them though. I will be giving reviews on my Super Challenge blog (the link is under my name), but since I haven't read anything for the challenge except Harry Potter, I don't have any book reviews yet, just movie reviews.

Now I'm off to the States, so there won't be any reviewing or anything else for a while. I was planning to take a break from Harry Potter and read something else for a while, but since I'm going away, I want to take something that I'm pretty sure I will be capable of reading so I don't waste three weeks.

rewire
Groupie
United States
Joined 4337 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 

Message 11 of 81
17 July 2012 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Hah, yeah I'm not sure if I could manage reading romance novels; I can't even get through
them in English without getting bored. I've been thinking of picking up HP after I get
through the manga I have, since I'd read them before, too, though come to think of it I
actually also have a couple of those bilingual short stories/essays books I should read
through first. They do the same thing with the furigana only on the first printing of
the kanji.

Bookmarking your blog so I can check it later, also, thanks. :)

rewire
Groupie
United States
Joined 4337 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 

Message 12 of 81
17 July 2012 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Update-wise, I'm somewhere around lesson 20 in the second set of Pimsleur, which is
back into giving directions, which I have learned something like four times now and
still never seems to quite stick. I suppose on the other hand, I generally go blank
when people try to give me directions in English without just writing me a map, though,
so probably it's just always going to be a bit of a problem for me, whatever lanaguage
I use.

Was looking up the CEFR levels to kind of see where I was at in those, and I think I'm
feeling like I'm only about A2 on input (listening outside of conversations and
reading), but edging more solidly into B1 for output, which is interesting, since at
the beginning of the year I was feeling more like my output was far below my input, and
now it seems reversed.

Keep getting confused with ni/he/de, lately, where I know a lot of the time ni can be
used interchangeably with he or occasionally de, but half the time I end up getting
corrected for using the wrong one anyway, so I feel like I'm missing some connotation
somewhere.

Also watched 千と千尋の神隠し over the weekend, with friends so with subtitles on, but I
was catching some things without reading it, which was fun. I'm thinking I'd like to
rewatch it without subs. The first time I saw it was actually when it was premiering
in Japan, and I went with my cousin but had almost no idea what was going on. So it's
in some ways a sort of interesting marker for me of progression whenever I rewatch it
and realize what else I can get out of it.

rewire
Groupie
United States
Joined 4337 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 

Message 13 of 81
19 July 2012 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Well, I signed up for the Super Challenge? Just doing a Half Challenge in film only, officially, with 100 conversations
additional since I'm ... basically doing that anyway with my weekly lessons, so why not. But I'm registered on twitter with a
full "Duper" challenge so I can log it all, but mentally not thinking about doing 100 books so I don't freak myself out. I end
up getting easily overwhelmed which leads to just plain giving up, so I like setting goals for myself I'm pretty sure I can
achieve (or at least get really close on), so I'm only really aiming for 25 books, unless it looks like I can increase that goal
and still reasonably meet it.

So anyway, it will hopefully give me the motivation to at least attempt to finish my reading projects. I did finish reading CCS
2, finally, and I've started on 3. I feel like I'm getting ~70% comprehension out of it now, there's sometimes several pages
where I am actually getting 90-100% comprehension, and then pages where I'm getting the vague idea out of a speech bubble, but
don't actually recognize a lot of the words. But surprisingly enough, even though I'm not directly studying any of the words in
the manga, I'm noticing overlap from Read the Kanji, which is awesome. I'd be half tempted to count my reading for Read the
Kanji as "books" but I have no idea how I'd count that, actually? I mean I guess I could estimate approximately how many lines
would add up to a "page" and then count when I read enough lines, since I'd say most of my reading practice right now is coming
from Read the Kanji, and I've noticed a lot of improvement from doing that regularly, but it's also not exactly reading
paragraphs so I'm not sure it really fits in with the theme? So yeah, still waffling.

Anyway, I'm probably mostly going to log via the twitterbot (my handle on twitter is
@elegantreason), but I'm also keeping a list on
a page on my blog with titles. (Which is mostly a code-blog
right now, but I'm sort of waffling about making it just a language-learning log of all sorts.)

I've also been reading Making Sense of Japanese. I've had this book forever since we had to pick it up for uni classes,
but they only had us read the wa/ga section, I think, which even that I had forgotten (or never properly understood?) what it was
getting it, so it's been interesting to clarify some of these things that I have trouble with, like passivication of sentences in
translation versus the actual passive conjugation. I'm still kind of confused about things like ... how do you say "The
shop is closing" versus "The shop is closed" when it seems like it's generally taken as the latter (お店が閉まっています), though,
but maybe I just need to read/listen to more native Japanese, and it'll become clearer.

Sometimes I feel like it's weird where I think I understand something when I read/hear it, but I have no idea how to replicate
the pattern myself. Kind of the 3-second memory thing on Chinese tones I was reading yesterday. (I'm thinking of adding
Mandarin studies back in after I finish Pimsleur III for Japanese. In some ways Mandarin would be easier, since I can practice
with my mom. I mean, I could use Japanese with my mom, too, but she's as bad or worse than me in Japanese grammar, even if she'd
probably understand what I said, whereas she could totally tell me if I sounded weird in Mandarin.)

I write really long entries, ahah, sorry to anyone trying to read them?

rewire
Groupie
United States
Joined 4337 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 

Message 14 of 81
27 July 2012 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
今週から、友達は家に二週間いますから、あ まり時間がありません。でも運転するときま だPimsleurを聞いています。そしてちょ
っと漫画も読んでいます。SRSのことをあまり 使いませんけど。

From this week, I have a friend staying for two weeks, so I don't have a lot of time.
But I'm still listening to Pimsleur while driving. And also reading a bit of manga.
Not really using SRS practice (in my case, mostly the readthekanji has been absent, but
I've also not been using iKnow).

Seems like a lot of people like Memrise, but I get kind of annoyed at either needing to
use their romaji (and not really being able to figure out how to input certain things
in it? Also things like "shi" being an incorrect way to type し and requires "si"
which is not normal for me-- I always end up using "shi" when typing) or actually
switching my input, so I haven't really found much use for Memrise yet. I do like that
their interface is very keyboard-friendly, and also kind of usable on my phone. Except
the romaji/input problem makes it not really usable, so then...
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4637 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 15 of 81
28 July 2012 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Yeah, that's the way I feel about Memrise right now. Probably just sticking with Mnemosyne for the time being.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4491 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 16 of 81
29 July 2012 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
Memrise doesn't really have support for Romaji, you're supposed to enter Hiragana (or Katakana/Kanji, whatever is requested and at what stage you are).

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version