brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6409 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 33 of 81
29 August 2012 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
rewire wrote:

Tangentially, I notice I actually have the most trouble pronouncing English loan words, because I get caught in this halfway between trying to say it as I would in English and how it should be in Japanese. Has anyone else found that to be a problem? Anyone have a good way to reset your brain to not do that?

I think most people have that problem. It's very awkward taking a word you know well in English and then having to stick all those extra syllables in there when you're trying to say it in Japanese. Especially since it feels like it takes a lot longer to say. Of course, loanwords are easy to learn and remember, so a lot of foreigners like them, but when pronouncing them, it's easy to get too much interference from the pronunciation of the word in its original language. Incidentally, I sometimes have the same problem in Norwegian with loanwords.

I can't help you much with resetting your brain. I'm still working on that one myself. I mostly try to avoid those words as much as possible.

rewire wrote:

Ahah, I keep thinking I need to make shorter posts because it seems like shorter ones are better for people to read, but unfortunately I've always leaned wordy, and they come out monsters. Sorry to anyone who actually tries to read my log?

Don't worry about long posts. Some of mine have been so long it's a wonder they don't crash the whole forum.

2 persons have voted this message useful

rewire
Groupie
United States
learninglane.tumblr.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4336 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 34 of 81
01 September 2012 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Since I'm going to be finishing up Pimsleur relatively soon, I started looking for other things I could do in the car to not waste that potential study time, and ended up figuring my best bet would be just to listen to some podcasts, since I'm not finding other good options really, and I don't think I'm quite up to dedicating all my car time to something like self-talk, though I may try to do that instead of a podcast once a week.

But it's kind of difficult to find podcasts that are things I can understand enough that I'm not just completely confused and bored. I don't expect to find any that I actually understand all of yet, but I'm trying to find enough that I can get at least something out of, to add up to about 5 hours of new material a week since... repetition is not a strong suit of mine, and I really just want to be able to set things playing and not fiddle while I'm driving.

Anyway, so I figured I'd post some of the ones I found as maybe someone else will find them useful too.

Let's Read THE NIKKEI WEEKLY- Business news is not generally my thing, but the interesting thing about this podcast is that it's meant for Japanese people to understand the English articles, so even though it reads out the article in English, they read it paragraph by paragraph and stop to note vocabulary and seem to sometimes explain some English concepts/sentences in Japanese. Ideally for me, it's a half-hour program, too. The website also gives a vocab list and some sentence examples in English/Japanese, which is nice. iTunes link

おそらく役立つ四字熟語講座- Yojijukugo teaching aid. It seems the setup is to use a conversation to help introduce the 四字熟語 of the lesson and talk about it. The conversations seem to tend to be ... odd from what I can tell. Honestly I can't understand most of this one, but the speaking is slow enough for me to at least hear individual words and the conversations sound entertaining enough that it's worth subscribing to me since they're only 5 minutes long. iTunes link

スマスマE-KIDS Short (~10 minute) introductions of elementary/middle school kids, particularly kids who are full of endless energy, I think, according to their blurb. Probably the one I actually understand the most out of in all the podcasts I've found so far, because it's geared toward/talking to children/children talking, so. iTunes link

Still looking for others, since all of these are weekly, so I will definitely need more to fill the time, ahah.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5771 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 35 of 81
01 September 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
You could try some of the JapanesePod podcasts. From lower intermediate level upwards the presenters tend to use much more Japanese as well, which is helpful and dare I say a little more natural than their dialogues!

I also found it quite helpful to load up my mp3 player with audio from textbook dialogues I'd studied and listen to them over and over again on the bus. But now I ride my bike to work I don't have this option!

rewire
Groupie
United States
Joined 4336 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 

Message 36 of 81
02 September 2012 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I've used JPOD101 before, but I feel like in the lower intermediate ones there's not really enough Japanese to English (and the scripted dialogues are sometimes so awkward), and in the upper intermediate ones where everything was in Japanese, I didn't understand enough. Plus, I can't stand Peter's really awkward attempts at leading conversations... I may try again, since that was a while ago I tried to listen to them, but the gimmicky intro clips where they constantly ask you if you read the lesson notes also tend to get irritating. Not super fond of the format in general.

I'd been considering textbook dialogues, but I... actually have never used the accompanying CDs for any textbook I've used in class or on my own, so I'm not really entirely sure if it would be helpful or just incredibly boring to me to listen to disjointed sentences/conversations of things I either haven't studied or studied years ago. I may try it just because it is audio, but I also know my threshold for repetition is low on a lot of things, so I'd probably only get a round or two out of each CD anyway, which isn't a long-term solution for my car, even if I can find the CDs I'm currently missing. So I'm hoping more to find things once that I won't have to search for every day/week/month to replace.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6409 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 37 of 81
02 September 2012 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
I like to listen to audiobooks while walking/exercising.

This old log has some links you can try. Some of the links are broken and the quality of the readers varies, but it might be helpful.

rewire
Groupie
United States
Joined 4336 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 

Message 38 of 81
04 September 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Ahh yes, I'd run into that thread, too, but thanks. I'm wavering on how useful it is for me at the moment with my current level, but I may try them to see anyway. I think it's generally easier to get more out of it if I'm reading or reading along, since I can use kanji to help me figure out meanings (and go as slow as I need), but maybe if I read some of the stories first, listening to them would be easier.

Current progress:

Nearly done with Steps 5 & 6 in iKnow's Core 1000 (96% and 92%, respectively). I should be finished with those this week. Pretty close with Step 7, too (76%), but that might take until next week (it says 1~2 weeks for me right now). Step 8 is going pretty quickly; a lot of the words in it I already knew (I thought we'd already studied all the numbers, but then 九 and 七 came up again and things like that), so it's already starting to tell me I can start on Step 9. If I can continue at this rate it should be pretty easy to finish Core 1000 by the end of the month, or maybe even by mid-month, depending on how 9 and 10 go.

I'm nearly done with CCS 8, which means I actually already caught up with my Twitterbot for the Super Challenge now. Lately I'm much faster at reading, which is nice. It only takes about 30 minutes to get through a about a fourth of a 単行本. Little longer when there are sections where I don't know/can't guess words well enough I have to pull out my dictionary and look up some things. I stopped reading out loud as much, though, to gain the speed, and I think my pronunciation's starting to suffer for it. I do read in my head, but the mouth doesn't always follow along properly without practice. Not sure if I want to start reading aloud again, though, since it's more enjoyable to just read things at the moment.

Outside of those things and Pimsleur, I'm really not very regular with studies, I think? I have a couple textbooks I'm sort of using, but I never seem to actually do a lesson a day or a week or anything, just whenever I feel like it I pull out one and do some exercises. Using J301 (which is review for me; I can't remember if I kept my old homework and keep meaning to look because if I had the correct answers, that would be nice), Unicom's old 3級 grammar book, and Complete Masters (also old) 3級 book. The Unicom book seems to be the best so far, since it has the answers to the practice questions, but also forces me to read and understand the concepts in Japanese, since there are no English example sentences or explanations. Which is also a bit difficult sometimes, but the grammar is review for me, so I seem to be okay at understanding the explanations so far.

My tutorial yesterday was kind of blah. I was really tired and sluggish and kept reading things wrong and not remembering words or grammar to say what I wanted (though I was also trying to say some things I wasn't really sure how to express anyway). I have 小さい宿題 due for next week, I guess, just making up three sentences, since we ran out of time. Though as we got sidetracked, we also didn't really spend a lot of time on ~とのことです, so I'm kind of confused how it differed from ~ということだ (someone said that~) and ~ということですね (so you meant~). She said ~とのことです is basically the same as ~ということです though more like written language, but the examples we went through were still spoken language examples, so...

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4490 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 39 of 81
06 September 2012 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
After Pimsleur, directly to the Lower Intermediate JPOD lessons?
No chance. You need to do the Beginner courses first.

Yeah, there's English in there. So what? If you want pure Japanese, Upper Intermediate would be in order, but you'll want to kill yourself after 5 minutes of zero comprehension. IMHO, the JPOD casts are paced pretty well and the amount of English is necessary at the given level.

Because, let's be honest here, ladies and gentlemen... Pimsleur might be a good start, but it won't take you far enough to swim freely. Been there, done that.

PS: Maybe Michel Thomas is the best choice after Pimsleur, and THEN the JPOD podcasts.

Edited by atama warui on 06 September 2012 at 7:53am

rewire
Groupie
United States
Joined 4336 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 

Message 40 of 81
06 September 2012 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
I'm only using Pimsleur as review and output practice, which I've stated several times; please don't lecture me in my own thread as if you know better than I do where I stand, especially when you're making erroneous assumptions.

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version