Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 19
18 July 2012 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
First of all, I'd like to wholeheartedly thank you for your replies.
Cavesa wrote:
And, most children
prefer to do something else than study during the summer.

Yes, school brings almost exclusively negative associations amongst children (well, in
my case too :P But for *slightly* different reason). And the things have been worsened
by my supervisor - she sad to children "you'll have surprise because Mr. XY will TEACH
you Bulgarian". Doesn't she know that the verb "to learn" is like a red rag to a bull?!
:/

Yes, that was really stupid of her, I agree.

prz_ wrote:

The problem is that I can't find many interesting things about Bulgaria. I don't think
that folk music will hold their interest. More dances maybe, but I don't have moves
like Jagger, so you know... ;)

That is part of the trouble. Bulgaria is quite difficult, at least for someone doing
such a program for children for the first time. You have been recently so excited with
Swedish. Why don't you try swedish culture (with a few pieces of language)? There are
few more exciting topics than vikings!

prz_ wrote:

Cavesa wrote:
I just believe that what you decide is one thing and what the
children want to do is another.

The thing is what do they want to do? Play computer games, watch cartoons, some of them
play soccer maybe and that's all.
They already have some activities in schedule and not all of them like them, so...
Well. It's not a computer&cartoon zone ;-)
I think it's harder and harder to infect them with any passion. I wish I wasn't right

You are very wrong. Most children are NOT such dumb idiots as you see them. Yes, many
play at least occasionaly on computer and most children like cartoons but it is not the
only thing they like. And vast majority of children will prefer to PLAY in reality to
any computer games or cartoons. Some of them become such idiots as the time goes,
usually because most of the time there was noone like you to give them something else
to do and they parents don't care much.

Nevertheless, every activity may not suit one or two of the children, it is normal.
They will usually follow as well to not spoil fun for others and they still might start
to enjoy it on the go. But, if half the children are indifferent or bored, usually the
adult is to blame. The same if the adult lets the first few spread the bad attitude
towards whole group.

Serpent wrote:
Yeah. Also, why Bulgarian?

(your answer)
Serpent wrote:
... Czech is closer to Polish and also maybe more prestigious than
Bulgarian?

And know you've touched a raw nerve.
It's really discriminative and unfair. ...[/quote]

I fully understand you don't want to just follow the public opinion and you want to
give the children something unusual (that is as well a better reason not to choose
English than your lack of confidence (unnecessary :-) ). But fortunately, you have a
wide selection of the cultures you are interested in so you can choose more freely. I
understand you are most passionate about Bulgarian but you made it quite difficult for
yourself. Perhaps the topic Bulgaria would be best to take as a part of a larger piece,
such as "the Slavic languages and their cultures", where you could take a lot from
comparison, show the children how similar are the languages and have a larger
historical-cultural background for the games etc.

Serpent wrote:
Give some motivational talks, dealing with your experience with
languages, why you learn them and what benefits this gives you.

...and here is another touchy subject. As for now, my multilingual learning is an
experiment. I don't know if I'll succeed - maybe people who say that we should learn
only 1 or 2 languages are right and I'll beautifully fail? Besides, I don't know, if it
gives precious things in other's eyes. It doesn't give me job, money, respect... In
fact, because of languages (but not only them) I have wider look for all the nations,
but I'm afraid it makes me even more alienated, because I can't be fooled by words like
'faith', 'traditions', 'normal', 'abnormal' etc... While the rest (well, most of them)
find these values still very important.
So, as for now, I'm not ready for such conversations - I even try to avoid them while
conversing with my friends (although it slightly changes). Maybe when (I hope it's a
matter of 'when', not 'if') I'll be able to brag about more Bs and Cs instead of so
many A1 and A2, I'll be glowing with pride - when I'll be like Cristina or Iversen ;)
However, I'd like to mention that today I had a very nice spontaneous small talk with
one girl, who's father knows English, Norwegian and basics of Arabic. However, she's
not currently interested in languages. Nothing surprising, I've also treated them only
as some subjects at school until my 'around the world music fascination' and it was
quite recently when I've started learning them seriously.[/quote]

I don't think the children need motivational talks. But if you get them excited about
learning any language and they come "hey! I want to speak another language too, it
seems to be fun and great!", than it may be a good time for encouragement.

eggcluck wrote:

Things like Anki and lyrics-training are simply a no go zone.

Well, In my opinion it could have been a yes if we had better multimedia. But,
unfortunately, as I've previously written...[/quote]

Why would the children want to know about anki and lyrics-training if they are not
interested in the language learning in the first place?

eggcluck wrote:
Think teaching them monkey while jumping round like a great ape (
getting them to do the same).

eggcluck wrote:
the clown act works well

Another little problem of mine - simply, I'm too shy to do such things. I try to be
more open and I'm quite successful in this, but such pretending a fool is still one
step too far for me.[/quote]

The children are a huge challenge for someone shy but they are as well a great
opportunity. You could take it as your motivation and place to learn to be a bit more
fool, extrovert, making fun of yourself and anything... I understand you. I am not shy
but my boyfriends always tells me I should learn to play again and not be so serious
most of the time. It is not easy to be like that but it is a really great
characteristics for someone working with the children.

P.S. Sometimes topics considering others become thoughts about yourself...[/QUOTE] Yes.
they do. Because any interaction with other people and any teaching process has two
sides, you and the others. I hope we do not demotivate you from your work here on the
thread, that is surely not the purpose.
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4647 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 10 of 19
18 July 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
No no, don't worry, you don't demotivate. Everyone here has a different point of view and it's interesting... until we don't fight ;)
Cavesa wrote:
You could take it as your motivation and place to learn to be a bit more
fool, extrovert, making fun of yourself and anything...

Well, but in fact I don't want to be fool and making fun of myself, at least not in a way I think of. Being an extravert is another cup of tea though... :P
It's also about the fact that in my opinion some people or more 'cool in fool' than others. I'm afraid that my 'coolness' wouldn't be really cool. Oh God, it's crazy.

Edited by prz_ on 18 July 2012 at 11:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4854 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 11 of 19
18 July 2012 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps you could teach them about the proto-Bulgar warriors and horsemen; that would appeal to many of the
boys in the class at least.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4647 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 12 of 19
18 July 2012 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Haha :D
Do you know maybe some nice sources about it?

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4854 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 13 of 19
18 July 2012 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
If you want an adult historical rendition, I'd recommend Compton's "A Concise History of Bulgaria" in English
if you want background on it. It's a very popular topic taught in Bulgarian history, especially for children, and I
have a variety of children's history books from years ago in Bulgarian that focus on the topic.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 19
19 July 2012 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I don't think the children need motivational talks. But if you get them excited about learning any language and they come "hey! I want to speak another language too, it seems to be fun and great!", than it may be a good time for encouragement
That's the motivational talk I meant, not necessarily serious business :)
As for lyricstraining, many like songs in English even if they're less interested in the language. and anki is a great tool for anyone who's serious about school, language learning is far from the only use for it.
mindmapping is another thing that they deserve to know about btw.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4647 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 15 of 19
19 July 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Okay, so - today I've prepared this charade. And... Generally it was a meaningful success. Children were working in pairs. There were 10 pairs and each pair had to present the words that they learned on the day before yesterday and others were guessing 1. what's the word 2. how to say it in English. There were so many misspellings, but most of the time they were eventually guessing them. Tomorrow I'll give the winners some small gifts - presumably sweets (I know, it's not very healthy :P ).

However, what I've observed - the children are playing fool or wayward, but in fact, they seem to be afraid of mistakes and saying/showing the things improperly. Pity, that they simply can't say it, it would be much easier...
Well, there was also one girl who apparently had a bad day, so she decided to play like a bored princess, but generally it was okay - at least 4-5 people are more enthusiastic about Bulgarian, so I can follow. Now I think about teaching them "what's your name..." "my name is..." and later I'll share out pictures with figures from cartoons like Batman or Winnie The Pooh, as well as from fairytales - Cinderella and so on. It would be also an occasion to introduces them with Bulgarian names of the characters. We'll see if this also will be a good idea :)

But one thing has to be written - my throat hurts! Now I know even better how my teacher have felt when people from my classes were acting so naughty. Thank God I wasn't like that for them (well, in high school I told once to my Polish teacher that she used mobbing because of asking only boys and besides I wanted to do the task at home to make it better and I disagreed with E mark she gave me because of that, but that's REALLY another cup of tea :P)

Edited by prz_ on 19 July 2012 at 4:29pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 16 of 19
23 July 2012 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Great to hear you are on a good way! The children won't be as hopeless as you originally
thought :-P It probably just took a bit of time for you to get into this, that is
understandable.

P.S. Your throat is a hero. Give it a cup of warm tea when it's tired, it may help :-)

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version