Joined 5344 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 17 of 21
14 April 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Week 2 (2013)

Lesson (Assimil): 21 / 101

I'm about a fifth of the way through the Assimil book now and am really getting into it. I won't deny that Egyptian hieroglyphics and the bizarre antiquated grammar that binds them altogether can be tough going at times, but the pure joy of being able to read a few of these once esoteric signs and get the gist of simple new sentences is very encouraging.

Edited by Teango on 14 April 2013 at 9:27pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5344 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 18 of 21
21 April 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Week 3 (2013)

Lesson (Assimil): 23 / 101

A couple more lessons in and the level is really starting to pick up. It's a good thing I have some additional notes in Assimil to explain the stranger grammatical goings on in the dialogues, and my eyes always light up when I'm able to connect a new concept or some vocabulary from 4-5,000 years ago to something more familiar in my other modern languages.

Edited by Teango on 21 April 2013 at 11:08pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 19 of 21
29 April 2013 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Week 4 (2013)

Lesson (Assimil): 23 / 101

I caught a heavy cold this week, and had to tackle lots of other projects through towers of tissues and regular steam inhalations, so I just fell fast asleep at the end of each day out of exhaustion. I recall leafing through the appendices in my Assimil book once or twice whilst chatting about Egyptian gods and discussing how they link to other Canaanite and Mesopotamian deities, but that was about it. Never mind, I'll keep my book faithfully by the bedside in the hopes of delving more into middle eastern antiquity next week.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 20 of 21
06 May 2013 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Week 5 (2013)

Lesson (Assimil): 24 / 101

Just one nighttime session this week, mainly to review vocabulary from last week. I also discovered that there is a class in Egyptian hieroglyphics in the same building as my department next Fall, which is so very tempting. I'm really thinking of auditing this class if the tutor gives me the green light and I can fit it into my schedule.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 21 of 21
16 August 2013 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Ok, it's been a while since I last studied the ideogram for a sun-donned Pharoah or felt compelled to watch an episode of "Stargate", and to be honest, sleep has tended to take priority over learning hieroglyphics in bed lately. However I've started up again with my trusty Assimil coursebook in hand, and am going to try and fit bite-sized sessions of Middle Egyptian into my lunch breaks, whenever I can. I'll post future updates on my "15 Minutes a Day" log, and hope to see you there!

Edited by Teango on 16 August 2013 at 12:17am

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version