Diglot
United States
Joined 7015 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 65 of 439
22 October 2012 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
We were in Arles a couple days ago and I got directions to a cafe in French which was helpful and
exhilerating. I watched a Court TV show last night and that was fun to pick up on. While driving, my wife
asked "what does 'Sud' mean"? I said "south", and mentioned that north is "nord". It came on me at that
moment that the letter d was replaced by th in English and I wondered how common it is that this occurs with
d at the end of a word.

We went to a bookstore and I picked up Using Spanish in French, which uses the same audio as the English
version, but has much better translations. Also picked up L'etrranger by Camus on CD.

Edited by luke on 22 October 2012 at 7:07am

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7015 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 66 of 439
28 October 2012 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Today I listened to L'Etranger and followed along with a parallel text. I can tell you that in France, the price and availability of the audiobook was much better than at Amazon in the link above. It's a short book and audiobook. Just over three hours of audio.

I've also started gathering materials for the next phase. I'm targetting audiobooks from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100_Best_Books_of_All_Time and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Classics. The Stranger by Camus is on one of those lists.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 67 of 439
28 October 2012 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I know that everyone reads l'Étranger for French (and I am no exception, I too have read
it) but by god is that book overrated. The guy has a seriously annoying writing style (he
did this and that and then that and then thus and also there was a thing with the other
thing) and he doesn't really ever get to the point. He just keeps describing things as if
he's talking about some painting we're supposed to enjoy, but he's doing it so dryly that
it makes me want to run away.

Yes, I did finish it because it does pick up a bit at the end, but it's overrated
nonetheless. I hope you enjoy it, but I just wanted to share my tale of misery concerning
that book :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7015 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 68 of 439
30 October 2012 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I know that everyone reads l'Étranger for French (and I am no exception, I too have read it) but by god is that book overrated.

The story is not so cheery, but I am enjoying it.

The Wikipedia article on the book talks a bit about various translations - I know you read the French - but it's interesting. I'm not entirely convinced the translation I have is so faithful, or perhaps colloquial language has just changed so much over the last 65 years as to make certain phrases seem a bit odd.

Anyway, I plan to read it again!

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7015 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 69 of 439
01 November 2012 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
My post trip to France track for learning French looks now like this:

In the morning study - Assimil French Without Toil - Listening to, reading, and writing one lesson per day. Trying to do the method more as it is suggested. I.E., looking away from the text and repeating each sentence, and doing that for some previous lessons for review. When I write out the lesson I do it the same way. E.G. one sentence at a time, first looking at the text, then turning away and writing it out. Today I'm doing lesson 3.

I also listen/read a few pages of an audiobook during the morning.

In the bathroom - Using French - Reading and listening to 1 lesson per day. Reviewing some previous lessons also. 10-20 minutes per day.

In the car - it came on me I can shadow the current and previous French Without Toil lessons. Now that I think about it, I could do that for Using French as well, but haven't done so yet. What I have been doing in the car with French is listening to Meditations by Marcus Aurelius in English, then in French. On the other part of the drive I've been listening to and a bit of shadowing on Le Petit Prince. On chapter 4 or 5 of Marcus Aurelius and about half way through Le Petit Prince again.

At work - background listening of one of French With Ease, French Without Toil, or Using French.

In the evening I review the current French Without Toil lesson. Also, during trips to the can, do the current Using French lesson or a review lesson.

So each day for French is about 30-40 minutes of study, 15-30 minutes of listening in the car, and an hour of two of background listening. I can see making some good progress and building a solid foundation in a few months with this approach.

Edited by luke on 01 November 2012 at 3:12pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7015 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 70 of 439
02 November 2012 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Et ce matin, j'ai lu et écrit la leçon 4 en French without Toil. J'ai passé en revue les leçons précédentes. I did some listen reading. In Using French, I began lesson 6.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7015 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 71 of 439
05 November 2012 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
I've finished up the first week of French Without Toil. Today was review.

On the Using French track, I'm on lesson 9.

I'm continuing to wade into chapters of Meditations of Marcus Aurelius.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6257 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 72 of 439
07 November 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Is this Luke of the Spanish fame? A rare proof that
one can post here and actually learn a language.
I'd throw in a good word for Mauger's venerable
Cours de Langue et de Civilisation. I like your
choice of fiction. The Stranger is a very good
choice linguistically and mercifully short, like its
ending.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version