Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 425 of 439
03 June 2015 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
Hey Jeffers, I reported that the Lingvist had added about 7 words once. I haven't been back since I probably last updated that thread.   So, I don't know if they've added any. With the card backlog, it would be sort of like starting over, so I don't have any plans to go back.

In the 2000 frequency deck, there were some new words for sure. Not a huge percentage, some few hundred. I don't have plans to go beyond 2000 words in that deck, but I probably will some day, hopefully no sooner than I think.

Word 2000 seems like it was combler, which was a nice way to finish. Independently, that was a word the translators were using in The Republic and it wasn't in my repertoire.

Now, as far as Mr. Anki goes, I put in some words and phrases from La Republique. I think it's more effective at this point to pick and choose words that are in the material I'm using. If I were to do it again, I would focus on words in whatever I'm reading or in my courses, it they weren't sticking with my usual many waves
approach.

I'm hoping you stay ahead of me in the frequency deck, otherwise it will mean I can't stick to a decision.

I'm with you on the cognates. When I was last adding 10 cards per day, which is 5 words, only about 1 word in 10 would seem challenging, which isn't bad. Cognates do rule the roost in French.

I've started making a parallel text of The Republic/La Republique. I color code the various characters in the dialogue. I'll probably write more about this later. I'm actually thinking in terms of molding the FORCE cycle into my studies.   I mean to update that thread with notes from the other steps in the FORCE cycle as I rewatch the videos. If someone else does it instead, that would be fine to :)

Edited by luke on 05 June 2015 at 10:55am

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 426 of 439
05 June 2015 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Use the FORCE, Luke.

This is how it's starting to congeal...

Focus - 10 Year Reading Plan - most of my listening and reading comes from this.
FSI in moderate doses. Currently on tape 14.2 doing "tape two magic".
Assimil Using French in the bath - mostly listen/reading FR/FR. Also in the car.

Organize - 10 year listen/readings - edited a couple of The Republic recordings in half, so there are four 10 minute recordings, rather than two 19 minute recordings. Easier to focus for this shorter time. All of book two and the first half of book one is now in parallel text format.
FSI - don't know if I can continue tape two magic through the end, or whether I should just plod normally. Today, I'm just repeating tape 14.2.
Assimil - L/R in FR/FR this wave. May switch to Business French next or do a read mostly wave. Business French recordings are about 5-7 minutes, which is a bit long for the bathroom.

Rehearse - 10 year plan, FSI, and Assimil, all blind shadowing/drilling in the car.

Communicate - thinking about Spanish speakers I know at work and how we might start speaking Spanish.

Evaluate - what I'm doing now. This log is part of evaluation. Also, my changing plans generally reflect that.
10 year plan - main thing is to keep it interesting and continue to refine materials.
FSI - I'm doing it. Need a more solid plan.
Assimil - Good supplement and review. Fits lifestyle.
Mr. Anki is always winding down and always alluring.

Edited by luke on 05 June 2015 at 12:48pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4694 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 427 of 439
05 June 2015 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Use the FORCE, Luke.

HOW did I not think of that one????

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3792 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 428 of 439
05 June 2015 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
luke wrote:
Use the FORCE, Luke.

HOW did I not think of that one????

May the FORCE be with you, Luke. Great to see how you are putting it in action.
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 429 of 439
07 June 2015 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
I've been thinking about other ways to use the FORCE acronym in my study. This is in no way to diminish the
CanaditanLinguist's FORCE
Cycle

F - Focus
O - Organize
R - Rehearse, Read
C - Communicate, Chorus (shadow)
E - Evaluate, Erase

Categories in examples. A way to quantify time and effort.
G - Grand - may take years
B - Big - several weeks
M - Mid - days
D - Daily - can be done in a single sitting

Focus examples with categories
Grand Focus: Ten Year Reading Plan;
FSI French; Assimil courses
Big Focus: A book in 10 year plan; an FSI unit; an Assimil course
Mid Focus - A wave through a 10YRP book (10 year reading plan); FSI tape or grammar point, etc.
Daily Focus - A chapter, a single pass through a tape, a day in Assimil.

Organize examples
Search for good audio or translations.
Suitable edit of audio with Audacity.
Creation of a bilingual text.
Creation of a spreadsheet to track various tracks.

Rehearse, Reading examples
FSI is mostly rehearse.
Reading can be a separate step in 10 year reading plan.

Communicate, Chorus
Communicate can actually be used in the hunt for target language speakers, which in my environs, is
primarily Spanish speakers.
Chorus is synonymous with shadowing. Improved shadowing of books, Assimil courses, or FSI drills is
indicative of certain advancing proficiencies.
Much of the work in the ten year reading plan can be placed in this and the previous categories.

Evaluate, Erase
At the end of a daily or longer Focus, evaluate if recording needs to be organized.
Do I have enough self-created material?
How can it be tweaked or edited?
How might I use the material in the next cycle?
Is it getting dull? Maybe I should move on.
Erase is a simple way of tracking things on the memory stick I use in the car or on my smartphone.

To break this down to current.
FSI - Go back to systematic marching through course. Start that march on unit 1. It should go quickly.
When re-starting or reviewing, I should be able to return to previous levels/recordings and that review should
require less time or narrow to smaller and smaller components that need work.

10 Year Plan - A spreadsheet will be very helpful, as there are so many passes, multiple languages and
translations, a desire to push forward, and recognition of the value in review.

Out of theoretical. I finished the parallel text for books 1 and 2 of The Republic in French and English last
night. I started a parallel text for Aristotle's Politics. I became more aware of how different scholars divide
the work into different chapters, paragraphs, etc. That makes organizing recordings and texts more
challenging, but has brought the importance of organization at a higher level, such as a spreadsheet, into
view.

I also started Plutarch a few days ago, that is primarily in English right now.

I previewed the Acts of the Apostles in KJV. I have a good recording of that and it was familiar enough to be
profitably used in background listening mode while at work. I have Acts in French and Spanish as well, but
they aren't as easy the English KJV.

Edited by luke on 08 June 2015 at 3:38am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 430 of 439
11 June 2015 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
I've been Organizing Politique livre un d'Aristote. One of the things I did early on was make splits in the Librivox recording match those in the Litteratureaudio.com recording. I've split a couple of the longer "chapters" in two.

There is a notation in many of the translations that looks like, [1254b], for example. The numbers increase, and the alpha notation goes up until the number increases. E.G.
1253a, 1253b, 1254a, 1254b.

There was a similar notation in Plato's Republic/La Republique.

I've gathered it is noting a particular place in the Greek text. Some questions I have though:
Books don't seem to start with 1 and go up. The ones I've noticed are in the low thousands. Where does the number originate?
Do the a, b, c, d, e sub-notations have any correspondence at all to paragraphs or some grammatical structure?

If anyone can clue me in, I'd appreciate it.

I've got a parallel text started on Politique. It started as two columns, one for each of the recordings I have. I've added a third column, which is a second English translation from http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/. Perseus seems to have a more scholarly or literal translation, which is helpful.

I've come to believe that the French translations are more faithful than the English translations on Librivox/Gutenberg. The French translations of Republique and Politique more closely match those by Allan Bloom and H. Rackham, who are perhaps already "standing on the shoulders of giants". The nice thing is that the French recordings from Litteratureaudio.com can ultimately become my primary recordings for several of the ancient Greek texts in the Ten Year Reading Plan.

Independent of the 1234a notation, I've also noticed that different translator's have very different ideas about what constitutes a "part" or "chapter", or even a paragraph.

One final question on ancient Greek. Did they have a comma? Even in the Persius translation, I think a few more commas would be helpful. I'm wondering if the translator left them out because they weren't in the original Greek.

Edited by luke on 11 June 2015 at 9:26am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4694 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 431 of 439
11 June 2015 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
I don't actually know about the numeric notation (and my weak Google-fu only comes up with numbers in Greek), but it may be that the "book" you're reading is part of a larger book in the original scrolls or codexes. Or perhaps the numbering for a particular author runs through all of their books. On reflection, I imagine the second option is more likely.

As for the commas, well Ancient Greek didn't have any punctuation at all, so even where one sentence ends and the other begins can be controversial (some manuscripts have a little slash to the left of the column in which a new sentence begins, but not within the text at the actual place it begins). In addition, many texts used all capitals and didn't even have spaces between words. Some early inscriptions run left to right on one line and right to left on the next.

I found a picture of a bit of Greek text without spaces or punctuation:

EDIT: regarding parts, chapters and paragraphs... well they didn't exist either.
Regarding Perseus, I have loved that site for a long time!

Edited by Jeffers on 11 June 2015 at 10:50am

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 432 of 439
22 June 2015 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
I found somethinig that explains the page references like [1234b] in Aristotle. They are called
bekker pages after a German
scholar of Aristotle. There is a note that there are similar references for most classical litterature.

I finished making my parallel text of book one of Aristotle's Politics. I've started going back through the book
and recordings.

I've been going back through FSI starting at the beginning. I'm in the truncate silence recordings in unit 3.

I'm settling into a bit of a groove with the ten year reading plan. I can spend more time and focus on the
readings that have better recordings and that I find most interesting.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version