Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 105 of 439
26 December 2012 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
On the trip home I listened to CDs 4, 3, 2, and the start of 1 in Using French. That seems like good review, but it is also making me more antsy about doing something other than Assimil courses. It's nice to finish one up, or at least complete a run through it. I'm less than 2 weeks from finishing up this one lesson per day run through Using French. I am planning on doing it again, and fairly soon at that.

In Without Toil, I did the active wave for lessons 5 and 6. I was one behind. I also listened through lesson 62 several times and went back towards 53, but I don't think I made it quite there.

I see there is a Total Anhilation Challenge for 2013 going on out there that I haven't signed up for yet. I want to look at some of the threads and see what all the hubub is about.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 106 of 439
27 December 2012 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
I did another lesson in Using French and listened back to the previous 7.

In Without Toil, I did lesson 63/64, listened back to 50, then listened and read forward to just the dialogues up to lesson 86.

I listened to Snow White Blanche Neige and a few other Brothers Grimm folk tales. I pasted the French into http://translate.google.com to get a quick literal translation. That generally seemed to be more helpful than finding an English Translation of the same story, although I can imagine using a variety of these sort of techniques in the future if these stories become a real part of my studies.

Edited by luke on 27 December 2012 at 3:01am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 107 of 439
29 December 2012 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
Today's lesson will be 62 in Using French. I'm thinking I will move this course out of its coveted position as first thing in the morning quand je fais ma toilette once I finish the last lesson (70). I ordered Assimil Business French with the super end of the year sale at Schoenhof's Foreign Books. I'm planning to give Business French the pole position first thing in the morning. It has longer lessons.

In without Toil, I'll be on lesson 66 today and will revise 65-57.

I'm thinking about adding New French With Ease in the afternoon spot. That would make 4 Assimil courses at the same time, all for French. These sorts of ambitious plans usually run amuck, but I've been trying to figure out how to squeeze in NFWE so it will be a meaningful adjunct and not something that will be incredibly easy a few months from now. Adding a new lesson per day and reviewing the previous 6 should only take about 10 minutes a day initially, and somehow I think one trip though most of these courses will be insufficient, so I don't really want to postpone NFWE much longer.

Edited by luke on 29 December 2012 at 8:35am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 108 of 439
30 December 2012 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
I did a lesson each in Using French, French Without Toil, and New French with Ease.

Then later this evening, rather than returning to an Assimil course again, I listened to Cendrillon and read the translation from http://translate.google.com/. I'm not so fond of the triple repeated themes that are common in fairy tales, nonetheless, it was a pleasant little study break.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 109 of 439
02 January 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Today I did lesson 66 sur L'Alsace et La Lorraine in Using French. With only 70 lessons in the course, I am getting very close to a complete run through it at the pace of one lesson per day. Earlier, before my trip to France, I'd done several very quick trips through it. Now, I understand most of the lessons. There are many fine points to each, as is the case in an advanced Assimil course, that remain to be learned in a subsequent trip through the book.

Today, I'm working from home and also listened to the the whole Using French course, lessons 1-70 in French Without Toil, and lessons 1-5 in New French with Ease, so as you can probably guess, today is lesson 70 in FWT and 5 in NFWE.

Assimil Business French hasn't shown up yet, but I am looking forward to adding that variety to the mix once it gets here.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 110 of 439
04 January 2013 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Yesterday I listen/read L'étranger again. Actually, the second part of the book was mostly listening and sleeping and more of the later than the former, but it felt good to get through the book again.

With some hindsight, I should have probably focused on past lessons of French Without Toil, which hasn't got much attention outside of the dialogues for several days.

I did march forward one lesson each in the 3 Assimil French courses I'm doing.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 111 of 439
09 January 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Today, I'm working from home, which gives me a bit of extra time for French. I've started the second slow march through Using French at the pace of one lesson per day, with good attention to the current lesson, and some review of the prior lessons. Today, the focus was lesson 3 (of 70). I also reviewed 1 and 2, and listen read 1-14 while taking a bath.

On the French Without Toil track, today is lesson 77 (of 140). I listen/read lessons 22-35. I plan to listen/read up to 77 today. Hopefully, will also be able to give some more attention to the last 21 or so lessons, but that will be a tall order.

On New French with Ease, today I'm on lesson 13 of 113. I listen/read 7-13 also.

Normally, when I have to drive to work, some shadowing takes place for the current and surrounding lessons. The nice thing about being home is being able to read the book at the same time.

Assimil Business French hasn't shown up in the mail yet. Nor has the vendor said they are shipping it. Not a problem. Three tracks is already a lot to keep up with.

Edited by luke on 09 January 2013 at 4:59pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 112 of 439
15 January 2013 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
I got Assimil Business French today. It is a heavier weight book and has about 50% more audio than the other Assimil French courses I have.   I believe I will start it .... Tomorrow. It will take the coveted Using French spot. First thing in the morning. The recordings have some familiar voices for those who have New French with Ease.

On French Without Toil, today I did lesson 82 of 140. Lately I've been focusing primarily on the dialogues and not looking much at the notes and non-recorded exercises. I basically go through the current lesson with a bit of care, and then listen to the previous 9 lessons, sometimes glancing at the book if I don't understand some of the audio. At the moment, I can see taking a second trip through the course.

With Using French, I'm doing lesson 9 (of 70) today. I accidently skipped 8, but did listen to that one this afternoon.

for New French with Ease, I completed lesson 18 of 113 today. Here I give a good bit of attention to the current lesson, then listen/read the previous 6 lessons, and then shadow the 7 lessons in the car. This is the easiest of the three courses.

Edited by luke on 15 January 2013 at 2:19am

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version