Tags: Thanks | HTLAL
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
30 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
Zetko86
Heptaglot
Italy
Joined 4302 days ago

18 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Slovenian, Italian*, English, Serbo-Croatian, FrenchB1, GermanB2, Russian
Studies: Japanese, Hungarian

Message 17 of 30
06 August 2012 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
languagenerd09 wrote:
Glad to see the forum back! However, not sure if this is "useful" to know - but it's
showing on my google as "this site may harm your computer" ...

Probably the site should be reviewed by google to fix that (I think that's possible to do from a web site like this: http://www.stopbadware.org/home/reviewinfo)
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5717 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 18 of 30
06 August 2012 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
@Admin Thank you for all the work you did in restoring the forum. I'm glad to have it back. I'm also grateful to Julie and emk for creating other forums just in case this one is ever down again.

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4752 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 19 of 30
07 August 2012 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
I thought it was just my computer that was blocking the site until I got emails form
peoples language logs haha.

Very glad the site is back up, I was missing my daily lurking!

Many thanks to the administrator for your good work.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6496 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 30
07 August 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I'm glad to see that the site is up and running again. Yesterday I used my first revisit to take copies of those pages of my multiconfused log which I didn't already had copies of, but for some time I haven't kept copies of other threads - not even my own posts there - and that's one point where I may choose to be more cautious: from now on I'll keep copies of at least a few very informative messages (or even whole threads, using the "printable version" option). But such copies can't possibly cover the amount of materials and viewpoints which has been stored here. So thanks to François for bringing HTLAL back to us.

One remaining problem is that HTLAL still is blacklisted by Google, and that Google in the security raport there has stated that the site was visited yesterday (August 6.) where 'bad' things were found. It will be interesting to see whether anything is found today (August 7), one day after the resurrection. However I have found that at least one nasty element has disappeared since yesterday. At the interim forum which was established during the attach the ever-wellinformed Chung referred to a tool which could read 'raw' html versions of pages which might be infected, and I tried it out. One of the things which I found in each and every message was a reference to ""<script ... tartis-78tscolla .rr.nu", which incidentally is one of the malicious sites mentioned in the Google report - however with a botched syntax, which should make it inoperative. That element has gone now.

But clearly this was just the tip of the iceberg, and there must have been several rounds of attacks, which finally brought HTLAL to its knes. Now the site has been looked through by experts and let's hope they found everything - at least the site has now been up and running longer time than after the first rescue attempt, which only lasted for a few hours - then the site was reinfected.

We have lost one day's worth of messages and maybe a few forum features (which may have been used by the hackers), but right now I'm cautiously optimistic. And I'll try to remember what I wrote about August 31 - the day that disappeared.

Edited by Iversen on 07 August 2012 at 10:02am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5019 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 21 of 30
07 August 2012 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
For those interested I've made a fresh backup of everything I have access to.

I made another one during during the infected period but that had some 'malicious code' all over and I didn't feel like cleaning it up, so I replaced it with the new one.

The attack had several rounds with the malicious site being changed (or cycled through, I'm not sure) frequently, but I never saw anything functional; the code injection was so poorly done that both the HTLAL and the external code were misinterpreted by browsers and nothing, good nor bad, was displayed as expected, from day one. I noticed the code injection improved towards the end but it never really worked the few times I had a look.

As of now, I can't detect anything more malicious than Google Analytics (which is bad enough, so I don't run it) on the site, but I'd bet the 'new glitches' point directly to the security holes exploited by the attackers, and that they have been temporarily plugged until the previous functionality can be restored without exposing the site to the attack again, so stay tuned for that.

About Google warnings, well, they'll go away some time after everything's fine; just wait, or take a crash course in internet security and learn when you can ignore them. I'd like to say 'almost always' but that's not safe unless you somewhat know what you're doing.

Suggestions: look up 'javascript and security', 'XSS', 'cross-site scripting attacks', and install NoScript, or an equivalent if you use a non-Mozilla browser, and you should be safe against 99% of modern-day attacks.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4784 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 30
08 August 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Good news... Today I didn't get any malware warning by Google, so maybe this site isn't
blacklisted anymore.

I missed this website...

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6057 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 23 of 30
08 August 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much to Francois and anyone else who helped get the forum up and running again. You don't really
appreciate how great something like this is until it's gone.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5760 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 30
09 August 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

Quote:
And I'll try to remember what I wrote about August 31 - the day that disappeared

August 31 hasn't happened yet!

But like everyone else, I hope that the forum is alive and thriving on that and all other days. Long live our HTLAL!

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version