Tetraglot
India
Joined 4825 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 26
10 August 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
The FSI French Phonology course is worth its weight in gold. It is not an easy course to complete. However, completing it gives you a sense of accomplishment. :-)

After finishing the FSI Phonology course, I did Assimil, and some LR. I also delved right into native materials to reinforce what I had learnt.

It is probably the most comprehensive course ever published on the subject. In any case, it is the most easily accesible course on the subject. Most of all, its FREE. Consider it a gift from good ol' Uncle Sam.

Hoping that the French would change their system to accomodate us is an exercise in futility.

Whatever method you decide to use, you must take the bull by the horns. An alernative phonetic method might provide temporary respite but how will you read real books in french. How will you function in the real world where such crutches are unavailable. I feel that it is better to accept the language the way it is.

The french just pronounce their words differently. Its just a matter of recognising those differences and getting used to them.

1 person has voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4826 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 10 of 26
10 August 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
LaughingChimp wrote:
It's obviously based on French, so ou remains ou.

Indeed.

Does this help people learning french ? I mean when the phonetics is based on french.

Edited by Michel1020 on 10 August 2012 at 11:45am

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4826 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 11 of 26
10 August 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
The FSI French Phonology course is worth its weight in gold. It is not an easy course to complete. However, completing it gives you a sense of accomplishment. :-)

After finishing the FSI Phonology course, I did Assimil, and some LR. I also delved right into native materials to reinforce what I had learnt.

It is probably the most comprehensive course ever published on the subject. In any case, it is the most easily accesible course on the subject. Most of all, its FREE. Consider it a gift from good ol' Uncle Sam.

Hoping that the French would change their system to accomodate us is an exercise in futility.

Whatever method you decide to use, you must take the bull by the horns. An alernative phonetic method might provide temporary respite but how will you read real books in french. How will you function in the real world where such crutches are unavailable. I feel that it is better to accept the language the way it is.

The french just pronounce their words differently. Its just a matter of recognising those differences and getting used to them.

I agree on the need to go to reality as soon as possible and go for the real french.
Where I deeply disagree is on the fact that french would be the problem.
I think the problem comes more from English - their way of pronoucing letters is quite alien - I think. When reading German, dutch, Spanish even words I do not understand I am almost 100% sure to pronouce the words quite correctly but in English I still keep uncertain on my prononciation and I am not talking of th sounding.

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4825 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 12 of 26
10 August 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
napoleon wrote:

I agree on the need to go to reality as soon as possible and go for the real french.
Where I deeply disagree is on the fact that french would be the problem.
I think the problem comes more from English - their way of pronoucing letters is quite alien - I think. When reading German, dutch, Spanish even words I do not understand I am almost 100% sure to pronouce the words quite correctly but in English I still keep uncertain on my prononciation and I am not talking of th sounding.

Indeed. I never meant to insinuate that "french would be the problem."
Rather, I meant that although English and French have a lot of words in common, each language has a unique way of pronouncing them.

Edited by napoleon on 10 August 2012 at 1:13pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 26
10 August 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
French with alternative phonetics is offered by Michael Thomas :-)
But what you need is an alternative orthography/spelling.

Edited by Serpent on 10 August 2012 at 1:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

rivere123
United States
Joined 4639 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 14 of 26
13 August 2012 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:
Do native French people know what that "alternative French" is all about?? Is it some sort of fringe movement that once existed or what? It really left me wondering.

A lot of French speakers, especially younger people, write or speak like this in informal situations. I would say it's kind of like 1337 in English, not really serious. This isn't hard to understand, but sometimes it can get downright impossible to comprehend if they apply themselves. XD

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 15 of 26
13 August 2012 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
LaughingChimp wrote:
It doesn't seem to handle some words correctly, for example: les yeux - lez- œj

For the sake of learners who may not know, liaison z doesn't end the syllable, it starts the next one: le-zjœ.
4 persons have voted this message useful

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4508 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 16 of 26
13 August 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
LaughingChimp wrote:
It doesn't seem to handle some words correctly, for example: les yeux - lez- œj

For the sake of learners who may not know, liaison z doesn't end the syllable, it starts the next one: le-zjœ.

Actually, I meant the œj instead of jø.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version