Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How do you handle corrections in speech?

Tags: Corrections
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
37 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5008 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 37
21 August 2012 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
I seem to be lucky in that most of the people I talk to will correct me when I say
something that doesn't quite sound right, like an incorrect preposition. They don't say
that I made a mistake; they just say what I should have said, then I repeat it, thank
them if it seems appropriate, and move on. In my experience, language exchange partners
tend to in fact be a lot better at this than actual teachers.

I try to do the same with other people; some respond in the same way that I do, but
others completely ignore my correction and often make the exact same mistake again
several times in the conversation. Guess which ones tend to be "faster learners"...
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4810 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 37
22 August 2012 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
There are two troubles here.

First is being corrected on public, which is most probably the main reason here. I
quite never correct my boyfriend on public, even though he speaks worse English than I
do. I appreciate he speaks one foreign language well enough to get his point across and
to make the conversation enjoyable for both sides, so I do not want to make it
unpleasant for him. (Instead, I slowly try to persuade him to learn second foreign
language :-D ). I am not surprised your husband doesn't like being corrected on public,
the more if it doesn't happen just occasionally. If your daughters kept their good
intentions to your family privacy, than he might appreciate the fact his daughters are
better in something than he is and that they love their father so much that they want
him to impress everyone by his skills :-)

I wouldn't like it as well, had I been corrected too often. As some said, I am trying
to say Something, and a badly timed correction could ruin it, no matter how good are
the intentions behind it.

And the second thing is "how to correct". This thread made me remember two of my
foreign language teachers at highschool:

An English one. Obsessed with British pronunciation and stupid details (unnecessary for
the beginners/low intermediates we were), including vocabulary like oysters (I wasn't
the only one in class who had never eaten them but had to know the word for the vocab
tests) and the official name of Great Britain with correct spelling. When someone made
a mistake, no matter how small and even if he or she immediately noticed and corrected
themselves, she stopped them by shouting "Wrong" or something like that, than she
started explaining the mistake which lead to several related grammar/vocab/culture
topics often followed by completely unrelated topics (the most common ones included her
cats, the lifestyle of the Japanese or Italians, etc.). Ten minutes (or more) later,
she was shouting at the unhappy person, because they have, of course, forgotten what
had they been asked to say and therefore couldn't finish the sentence.

The French one was the opposite. She always carefully listened to us, both the form and
the content, and when the student finished the sentence, she pointed out the mistakes
and eventually explained the appropriate related grammar/vocab/pronunciation/whatever.
And she always managed to do it in an encouraging way.

No need to say which one I prefered. Correcting someone can be done in many ways.
5 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6710 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 37
22 August 2012 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
I've experienced your "English" way for German and Esperanto, and aim for the "French" way myself if/when I'm chatting with somebody on Skype/Messenger/whatever. Sometimes I don't even comment at all, other than giving responses with the right vocabulary/grammar.

The main good thing about the first way is that errors and mistakes are pointed out (at all), but the bad thing is that it might make you feel like an idiot (as if the world will explode if you won't get every single thing 100% perfect).
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4810 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 20 of 37
23 August 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Yes. And feeling like an idiot this way four hours a week doesn't make you want to speak
the language. Many of us learnt despite the teacher and the truth is that she tought us
something. For exemple, I will never forget the word "oysters" even though I may never
use it :-D

The way with including corrections in your responses is a nice one. I've met a few people
using it and it is usually very good, non-offensive and doing the job.

Wait, you had such a nightmare for Esperanto?! I thought the Esperantists usually tend to
be nice people but that may be just a prejudice (one of those "the French are arrogant,
the Spanish loud,etc". :-) Why couldn't there be esperantists with horible character
after all.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6710 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 37
23 August 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
We had these group discussions on Skype where the conversation leader (i.e. teacher) corrected every tiny mistake during the conversation. Luckily I made no big mistakes (if any), but it was very time-consuming and distracting. He could as well have given the students an electric shock after each mistake, then they'd really learn.

I don't even know if anybody but me found it annoying, maybe that's what everyone expected (as in "Please correct us whenever we make a mistake, it's the ONLY way we can improve!").
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4440 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 22 of 37
23 August 2012 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I remember once, when I was driving in Germany, the police stopped me in a routine control. A nice policeman came up to the car, and I said "Sie wollen mein Führerschein sehen?" (you want to se my driving licence?), to which he smiled and answered: "Sie wollen meinen Führerschein sagen."

I must admit I was taken aback by the fact that he corrected me, but I thanked him for it. Since that day I have never forgotten that Führerschein is masculine.

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4439 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 23 of 37
23 August 2012 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
When I was learning Arabic - especially the spoken dialects - I definitely welcomed as many corrections as I needed from my Arab friends and Arabs I met abroad. Resources for learning any dialect back then were reasonably scarce, so if I misused an expression or made an odd-sounding statement, it was my only way of understanding the language better. Since it was usually between my friends and I, it never really felt public even in public spaces. To be honest, some of my Arab friends were excessively easy on me at first, saying that my Arabic was "spectacular", even when it was not. Soon they started to be much more honest, however. :D

Persian was similar, especially for learning the Dari and Tajiki dialects (though corrections often came for Farsi as well). In all, it helped me advance in the language significantly.

When I was a young boy, however, I would occasionally be less patient. I remember of a time when I was six years old, and one of my family members corrected some of my Quechua. I told him to leave me alone.
2 persons have voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5434 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 24 of 37
23 August 2012 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Ah corrections! It definitely depends on the culture :) Germans and French have always been very generous with their free language lessons, and are eager to point out mistakes as I make them, without a hesitation, but in Latin cultures this gets harder when standards for what is "OK" are reduced.

What I've found works is motivating them and definitely (as suggested above) smiling when it happens. A lot of expats complain to me that nobody corrects them when they speak (in MANY countries), but when I see them speak the target language, their body language screams awkwardness. This is regardless of their actual linguistic mistakes. When a mistake is corrected, they freeze, look embarrassed and there is that very awkward silence before the conversation picks up again. This feedback loop reminds the native to stop it, naturally.

What I'd do is relax and look like I'm enjoying it, and laugh at my mistakes. If in a social environment, like a pub, one tip I've given my blog readers that they appreciated, was that I suggested "the first person to correct twenty mistakes I make, gets a drink on me!" This makes it a fun game, rather than an awkward undesirable moment. I always try to create positive feedback for corrections, as damaged as my ego may be and the desire to hide my head in shame may be :P

When people enjoy correcting you (if you can engineer the social situation to lean in that direction), you won't need to pay tutors :D

Edited by irishpolyglot on 23 August 2012 at 11:49pm

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version