China
Joined 6971 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Message 25 of 31
26 July 2006 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee,

I do not make the assumtion that everyone learning Mandarin is from an Indo-European background. As I said if a Mandarin speaker learns Cantonese it will be easy for them. So by this I implicitly mean that if the language learners native language family is close to Mandarin it will also be easier. However, the facts are that most people reading this forum will have an Indo-European background, and this context can't be ignored.

I've met many a Korean studying Mandarin and I can certainly say that they find speaking Chinese hard. Like Lady Skywalker said, Korean and Japanese have a vastly different grammar. Infact at times i've been frustrated when a Chinese native will insist on talking to the Korean with deficient Mandarin rather than me (with slightly less deficient Mandarin) because I look European (based on their assumption that the Asian person will have better Chinese).

I take your point with the tones, foreigners can be understood by context. However, not always especially (i find) if the listener is not well educated and if the speaker is nearer a beginner, they will have less context to frame their words in. All in all, I think the tones are another barrier that can be overcome with context but it's still another hurdle to achieving fluency that many other languages don't have. Also lets face it a foreigner with zero tones just doesn't sound good and though an acute listener will understand it won't be easy for them, otherwise I wouldn't have had as much trouble when I first arrived in China :) Actually I still sometimes have some trouble after 2 years. I'll try to put a sound recording up on my profile asap so that others can judge my Chinese.

Raincrowlee, maybe you just have a real natural talent for Mandarin that I and many other laowais (foreigners) don't have, I can certainly really envy that!

Or maybe I'm just really, really good at learning French :)

Edited by delectric on 26 July 2006 at 3:22am

1 person has voted this message useful

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6492 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 26 of 31
26 July 2006 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
lady_skywalker wrote:

Actually, I personally feel that the fixed pronunciation is what has impeded my progress with Mandarin (and this is even after 4 years of formal language study).

Everyone learns languages in different ways, and that's something that doesn't fit your head. I've found that I can quickly remember words because I don't have to think about pronouncing them, and just have to worry about memorizing the character. It's amazing how much difference learning a character for a word helps me distinguish them, even in conversation.

lady_skywalker wrote:
Raincrowlee wrote:
Unless that person is Japanese, Korean or Vietnamese, becuase their languages have been strongly influenced by Chinese. The problem with saying that Chinese is hard to learn because it's unfamiliar is unfair because it assumes all language learners have the same background as you. Definitively untrue. For Americans and Europeans, the fact that Chiense is unfamiliar is one of the biggest hurdles they have to get over. But that's why it's called a foreign language.

Not necessarily true. Korean and Japanese have very different grammars to Chinese. Even if there's a good number of shared vocabulary, it does not necessarily mean that a Korean or Japanese person will find Chinese a breeze. I haven't really had the chance to ask many people but a good number of the Japanese I've talked with during my short time in Kyoto do not even know the basics of Chinese. Only one seemed to recognise the phrase 'xie xie' (thank you), which my partner kept accidently using (he's been too long in Taiwan, I think!). I'm not even sure if Chinese is offered as a language option in the schools here or whether the Japanese are reluctant to speak the language but I'm of the feeling that spoken Chinese would be just as foreign to them as it is to us Western folk.

But those common phrases are the ones that are the places that languages are the most conservative. Look at the differences between the English "thanks a lot" and the French "merci beaucoup." If it wasn't for movies, we wouldn't know it either. English speakers find spoken French quite foreign, too.

When you get into higher-level, more formal language, you run into more similarities. That's as true when comparing English with French as much as Japanese with Chinese. Even when the meaning is radically changed, such as 'sensei' (J., teacher) and 'xiansheng' (Ch., Mister), Japanese speakers can find more familiar words than Westerners. That means that Japanese (and Koreans) can learn Chinese much more quickly that Westerners can -- as my classmates' grades can testify.

You can also look at a language like Latin, whose grammar is quite different than English, but which has recognizable vocabulary. An English speaker would have a much easier time with it than someone whose background was non-IndoEuropean.

And I would never claim any language is a 'breeze.' I'm studying Indonesian, supposedly the easiest language to learn in the world, and I wouldn't say it's a breeze at all. Easier than Russian, but still not a walk in the park. I'm saying that it's easy for them as far as learning languages go, knowing that learning languages isn't an easy thing.

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6492 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 

Message 27 of 31
26 July 2006 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
delectric

I don't think that I'm particularly good at learning Chinese, but I refuse to demonize the language. Many people consider it one of the hardest languages to learn, but I think that's mostly hype. Maybe I've been studying it too long. Then again, even when I was studying it in America, it made sense to me. A kind of backward sense, like reading a book in a mirror.

But don't get me started on Japanese. I've had to learn that language three times.

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6680 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 28 of 31
26 July 2006 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee wrote:
delectric

I don't think that I'm particularly good at learning Chinese, but I refuse to demonize the language. Many people consider it one of the hardest languages to learn, but I think that's mostly hype. Maybe I've been studying it too long. Then again, even when I was studying it in America, it made sense to me. A kind of backward sense, like reading a book in a mirror.

But don't get me started on Japanese. I've had to learn that language three times.

It could be that different people are on a different frequency when it comes to language learning. Chinese has obviously been something you've 'clicked' with while others can't get their head around it. The language is neither easy nor hard...it just depends on the person and whether they're interested in the language or not. Japanese has been a lot more interesting and easier to grasp for me, even in the short time I've been learning it. Perhaps I am more attuned to Japanese so I can't really criticise anyone for being scared of the language. I don't think anyone is intentionally demonizing Chinese. It *is* a fairly hard language to pick up if you find it hard to retain characters in your head or are tone-deaf. The myth is probably perpetuated by the Chinese themselves who claim it's such a hard language for foreigners to learn. Perhaps this has changed now that they want the big businesses to come to them but it certainly wasn't seen as a language foreigners could possibly grasp when I was living in China.

I'm sure there are even people from Indo-European backgrounds that find Asian languages easier to grasp than something closer to home. While learning a related language is theoretically easier, sometimes people just take more of a fancy to something more exotic and do better in that than they would with, say, French or Italian.

Mga
Groupie
United States
beastie.redirectme.n
Joined 6913 days ago

67 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Arabic (Written)

Message 29 of 31
01 August 2006 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee wrote:
One of the advantages in learning new words in Chinese is that you never run into new sounds. Because all of the syllables are fixed, and only those syllables are used for all words, you will never run into a new pronunciation for as long as you study the language. You can learn all the sounds of the language in the first week of study, and after that be able to pronounce anything in the language. Compare that with English, with all the words that maintain French spellings and pronunciation.
... What?

Edited by Mga on 02 August 2006 at 12:02am

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6492 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 

Message 30 of 31
02 August 2006 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
Mga wrote:
Raincrowlee wrote:
One of the advantages in learning new words in Chinese is that you never run into new sounds. Because all of the syllables are fixed, and only those syllables are used for all words, you will never run into a new pronunciation for as long as you study the language. You can learn all the sounds of the language in the first week of study, and after that be able to pronounce anything in the language. Compare that with English, with all the words that maintain French spellings and pronunciation.
... What?

Chinese, like Japanese, is composed of fixed syllables. They are almost all single consonants followed by vowels or diphthongs. You will never run into unexpected consonant clusters or words with radically different structures. English in contrast, often maintains the original pronunciation and spelling, where possible, such as 'prix fixe' or 'sang froid.'

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6647 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 31 of 31
02 August 2006 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
kronos77 wrote:
When I started studying Russian, I never thought I would say this,
but...give me something simple like a Slavic language!

I feel this way too, sometimes. Except you have to admit that while Slavic (at least Russian) tenses might seem easier at first, no, the truth is, you have to remember two verbs for every one you know in Spanish or English. At least! There's skazat', razskazat', govorit', pogovorit', razgavovyrovyrovat' and did I leave any out? I might have added one. It's been a long time. I miss Russian.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version