Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6049 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 1 of 51
30 August 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Hello, there was a post a good while ago about a Spanish course that taught just 150 or so words and claimed a decent level of communication with those words. I don't believe that to be possible but the idea sounds interseting and then you can build on that vocabulary easily .
Does anyone remember the name of this course? i think it was an internet based course. Any help would be great
1 person has voted this message useful

chrisphillips71
Groupie
United States
Joined 5034 days ago

64 posts - 86 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 51
30 August 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
The course is Synergy Spanish. However, after studying Spanish for two years and
learning (or attempting to learn) many words, I believe that their claim that you can
"speak" Spanish knowing only 138 words is hogwash.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4820 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 51
30 August 2012 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Yep- You definitely can't "speak" Spanish with only 138 words. However, synergy Spanish
would make a great start to your studies if you have no previous knowledge. If I
could go back in time I would definitely start with it, and maybe combine it with MT. I
think I would have made far faster progress had I done so.

Edited by dbag on 30 August 2012 at 9:01pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 51
31 August 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
Offtopic but while we're at it, what's that site that offers good public domain courses in Greek and Spanish? Googling "learn greek and Spanish" or similar finds only commercial shite...

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5581 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 5 of 51
31 August 2012 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
I think you mean languagetransfer.org and
their YouTube channel
is here.

Edited by Random review on 31 August 2012 at 1:33am

4 persons have voted this message useful

stmc2
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6049 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 6 of 51
31 August 2012 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the information. I have already done the Paul Noble course and just came back from a holiday in Spain. The excellent response that my wife and I got with our very low level of Spanish was very nice. Just looking for one more starters course befote I start Assimil.

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6944 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 7 of 51
01 September 2012 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
I love Synergy Spanish. It teaches the basics you need to know and reminds me of Lewis Robins Language for Travelers that teaches the essential nuts and bolts of a language that you can use to build on.

Actually, Synergy Spanish teaches much more than the 138 word vocabulary. It teaches how to simply change the endings of (I think) more than 1000 English words to make Spanish words. These are words that have endings like "tion" and some other endings I can't give off the top of my head.

The most important aspect of the course is that it gets you saying things like "I need to..." or "I want to..." followed by the infinitive of the verb which means you don't have to learn all the verb forms at the beginning.

I like the course because it has you saying important sentences right at the beginning.

Each lesson contains more than a Pimsleur lesson but the lessons only last for less than 10 minutes.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4469 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 8 of 51
01 September 2012 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
Yep- You definitely can't "speak" Spanish with only 138 words.

I disagree. Say the word "hola". You spoke Spanish. You spoke Spanish fluently. You might have even spoken
Spanish with a native accent :)

There was a really long thread posted here about counting words, and 300 words being some sort of "speaking
threshold". To quote Frank Zappa - "the torture never stops".

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version